Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched fourm for what brand of dash cam people are using but have not found that information. Please tell me which dash cam you are using and why you like it. I have researched them and have 10 that I like and will fulfill my needs, but would like to hear from real people that use dash cams. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Most popular in general is probably Aukey DR02 due to the low price and decent performance. $35 on sale. I've got an Aukey I'm satisfied with that I got for cheap. Had some near-misses with dear and snow I wish I had kept, but I used too small of an SD card to record the whole trip without it getting erased. There's a way to protect a recording, but I had other things on my mind at the time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The dashcam subreddit maintains a good list of recommended dashcams (best quality, best bargain, best for uber, etc).
I have a B1W because it's on their list, and is tiny with no screen.
If you live somewhere hot (Phoenix), I'd suggest one with a capacitor and no battery.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
870 Posts
My choice of dashcam is probably irrelevant to most people in the forum because I don't live in the United States; most of the products available to me are manufactured and sold within Korea only. That being said, most popular models around here are generally 2-channel, 1080p resolution spec with ~3.5" LCD screen, high low-light sensitivity image sensor and super-capacitor (to record the moments after impact even after the power is cut off) being more or less standard. Price range generally hovers around US$100 to $200 and come with 16 to 64GB microSD card included.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I do not think any brand is preferred.
Look for dash cams reviews and you will find what suits You.
It all boils down to resolution, night vision, power options (powered when parked or not), size, view angle, front and rear option, data download (wifi or manual), app access, and who knows what else.
Whenever I was getting a new dash, I always looked what is currently on the market, not on the forums.
Sorry folks, I know many are up-to-date with electronics, but we have our own preferences that may or may not fit others. Hence I always prefer objective point of view from 3 different reviews/comparisons.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've been pulled over for going 12 MPH faster than I was actually going so having a dashcam with GPS that displays the speed on the recorded video is essential for me. I have an older one that works well but it doesn't have a rear facing camera. I wish I could find a simple one piece unit with GPS that just has a rear facing camera: not the separate rear camera that has to be mounted on the rear window. Just finding one that has GPS and can stamp speed on the video is hard enough so if anyone knows of one, please post.

Mike

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've been pulled over for going 12 MPH faster than I was actually going so having a dashcam with GPS that displays the speed on the recorded video is essential for me. I have an older one that works well but it doesn't have a rear facing camera. I wish I could find a simple one piece unit with GPS that just has a rear facing camera: not the separate rear camera that has to be mounted on the rear window. Just finding one that has GPS and can stamp speed on the video is hard enough so if anyone knows of one, please post.

Mike
I was in the same boat.
After looking for a while I simply got another unit and connected it in the back (that was with KIA, though - I have not installed the dash cam on Bolt yet...)
They are independent, but works OK.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
99 Posts
Each one of our cars has a BlackVue with GPS and WiFi to see/download the video to the phone if needed, the oldest dash cam is about 7 years old ,BlackVue DR500GW HD GPS &Wifi wired to the rear window in my Bolt, in the front I have an updated 4K unit , both work independently from each other . I can not say that they are the best because they are not cheap and other dashcams could be a better value for less money but they work for me and without any issues so far.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I've been pulled over for going 12 MPH faster than I was actually going
I have been pulled over for going 80 MPH slower than I was actually going...

75 in a 55, but I was actually doing 155. Officer said he was doing 120 and losing ground. My reaction was "oh weird".

I plead guilty to the speeding charge, but had the judge side with me on the reckless endangerment, since I asked the officer who else was around, and he said nobody. Country highway with nobody around.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
75 in a 55, but I was actually doing 155. Officer said he was doing 120 and losing ground. My reaction was "oh weird".
That's pretty extreme!

I've always been given tickets for driving a little less than actual. One time on a wide but mostly clear freeway late at night I was showing my friend how fast my GTI could go (not 155 but well past 100). I was coming up to a lone car on the right and I was thinking "as long as that's not a cop..." and it was! I slammed the brakes but didn't want to go flying past him with brake lights on so I jammed it into third and let the clutch out... I was going a bit fast for third. The cop said I should be careful revving the car so high. He generously gave me a ticket for 75.

Got one more young and stupid story:
I worked 2nd shift in San Diego and took off for Vegas around midnight. Long, straight, deserted freeway near Nevada. I'm tired and driving fast to get there but also just to force myself to focus on the road to stay awake. After a while though I realize that my fingers are sore from gripping the wheel and the strain of focusing is getting to me. I drop down to the 80's and if feels like I'm barely moving but I needed to relax a bit. I think I was just over the Nevada border with no cars in sight and suddenly the cop car lights start flashing in the middle of the road ahead of me. Can't believe he was ticketing people in the wee hours of the morning on a deserted straight road but I sure was thankful I was taking a breather. I expected a ticket in the mail with fine amount but I never got one. I had moved shortly after. To this day I wonder if I have a warrant in Nevada.

Anyway, sorry to wander off there. But about that camera, it sure looks like it blocks the view more than I would want. Seem like it would be better to find something that could mount up higher, on the side of the pod instead of below.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
That's pretty extreme!
I had been cruising the barren highway and thought I might have been going a bit slow, so I looked and saw I was doing only 50. Rolled on a tiny bit of throttle and later a cop passed in the opposite direction. Not thinking much of it, I glanced at my speedo which read 75. I saw him coming about, and before he could get his lights on I went full throttle.

Approaching a small town a few minutes later, I slowed to the speed limit, pulled into an empty bank parking lot and waited. The officer said he was doing 120 and losing ground. "oh weird". He had me on radar doing 75.

I stopped as a courtesy. Most other LEOs understand this and give a warning. I risked myself and nobody else.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Most other LEOs understand this
Wish I could believe in a just and reliable universe. I've given up trying to guess what LEOs understand and what mood they'll be in and what instructions/warnings/quotas they were given that week.

That the universe is random, in sixty years of driving way too fast, the tickets I've been given were for chickenshit-five-over-ten-over-on-a-straight-road-on-a-clear-day. In my younger days, there were times and situations which would not have ended well had a LEO been in the vicinity.

Unfortunately, even though I'm old enough that my wife says I should know better, the Bolt is an enabler. It's so quick, so smooth, so quiet, it sneaks up on me.

jack vines

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
861 Posts
Garmin Mini Dash Cam.
Small enough to mount to the right of the mirror assembly and not be seen by the driver.

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
That was what I was asking about, is it intuitive, user friendly.
It does the job, which is to look at what the camera has stored.
There may be many other functions I don't know about.

The GF drives the Bolt with the Garmin mini camera and a Garmin Drive GPS.
I have a Garmin Drive with a built in dashcam in my Spark EV.
Both have OTA traffic conditions and a pretty good voice recognition for entering your destinations. And free lifetime Map Updates and SW updates.
They can be taken with you to a rental car.
They don't use your phones data.
I don't mess with the system much.

Let's face it, a dashcam is for when SHTF.
But they record audio also, so if you want to check your karaoke skills on that last song, you can!:D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
But they record audio also, so if you want to check your karaoke skills on that last song, you can!:D
We turn that off. Our concern is that if we are killed in a collision, the dash cam will have so much great material for movie and tv screenplays that we would both feel ripped off and cheated in death.

·
Registered
861 Posts
.. if we are killed in a collision, the dash cam will have so much great material for movie and tv screenplays that we would both feel ripped off and cheated in death.
But if one of you survive.... GOLD !

1 - 20 of 38 Posts