Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We turn that off. Our concern is that if we are killed in a collision, the dash cam will have so much great material for movie and tv screenplays that we would both feel ripped off and cheated in death.
I would turn that off, don't need to hear me swear at traffic.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
830 Posts
I would turn that off, don't need to hear me swear at traffic.
But then your interactions with the police officers at your window?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
2 Posts
I've got the Aukey DRA1 in both of my vehicles and it works great. It used to sell for less than $40 on Amazon, but now it's up to almost $50. Still worth it at that price. Easy to install and use, compact, and the video quality is more than good enough to prove that the guy in the dually that clipped your front fender (without even changing lanes... gotta love those duallies... is that the plural spelling for dually??) was actually at fault. Amazon link: Amazon.com: AUKEY Dash Cam 1080P FHD Car Camera Supercapacitor 170° Wide-Angle Dash Camera for Cars 2.7 Inch LCD Screen, WDR, G-Sensor, Loop Recording, Motion Detection, Support 128GB MAX

·
Registered
713 Posts
Wish I could believe in a just and reliable universe. I've given up trying to guess what LEOs understand and what mood they'll be in and what instructions/warnings/quotas they were given that week.
Seems like you are more likely to attract police with traffic citation books in hand if you are doing something blatantly illegal, dangerous, or rude.

Once in moderately heavy commute traffic (that was mostly doing about the speed limit) on the freeway, I saw a vehicle trying to drive much faster than the surrounding traffic, complete with dangerous lane changes, tailgating, etc.. Coming up on a known location where the highway patrol likes to hang out, that driver continued to do the same antics... and the highway patrol which was there took off and shortly thereafter made a traffic stop on that vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
2 Posts
How is everyone powering these cams up? Hard wiring behind mirror or running cable down to usb?
Most of the dash cams I've seen come with a cable that plugs into your cigarette lighter to power them. The cable is extremely long so that you can run it behind your glove box and along your windshield trim to the top of your windshield where they are usually mounted. I've seen some people who are more comfortable with doing their own custom wiring by opening up the rear view mirror (but I think this might only be possible on the Premier models, since they have the digital rear view mirrors). I've wired three different cars with dash cams before, and I've always just plugged into the cigarette lighter with the included cable and run the cable as described above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How is everyone powering these cams up? Hard wiring behind mirror or running cable down to usb?
One clever way to power a dashcam is to use the car's OBD port. The OBD port on the Bolt is very convenient because it is right next to the driver's door which makes it easy to route the power cable through the door trim to the windshield and the Bolt's OBD port is pretty much out of sight and there is no OBD port cover to get in the way. Also, it's possible to get constant power from the OBD so that the dashcam can run continuously even when the car is parked (like on a Tesla).

I tried this OBD power port adapter on my Bolt:

OBD power cable from Amazon

That one uses a mini USB power plug which matched my dashcam. You can also get them with other USB plug types.

That adapter has a "mode" switch on it where in the "l" position it will supply constant power to the dashcam, even when the car is "off". The OBD adapter also monitor's the car's 12V battery voltage and shuts off power if the voltage drops below 11.6V so you won't discharge your car's 12V battery. With the switch in the "O" position, the adapter will provide power when the car is "on" and no power when the car is "off" (similar to using the Bolt's 12 power port).

Anyway, I had problems with that particular OBD adapter on my Bolt and I suspect it may be an issue with all Bolts, but I'm not sure. It did seem to work fine in the continuous power mode with the OBD adapter switch in the "l" position. But with the switch in the "O" position, the dashcam did power down when I shut off the car as expected (after about 5 minutes which it's designed to do in order to still record for a few minutes after shutting off the car). However when the car was powered up and I was driving, the dashcam would keep powering off after a short time.

I contacted the manufacturer about it but they just said to return the OBD adapter. I did get a second one, but it did the same thing. On top of that, I also later noticed an error message about the OBD port when I eventually looked at the My Chevy app (the message is gone now).

So it seems there may be an issue with this OBD adapter on a Bolt (maybe the Bolt's 12V supply voltage dips below 11.6V while driving?). I could have spent more time trying to figure it out but the manufacturer didn't seem interested and I decided not to spend the time. It's a great idea if it works, though...

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
2,989 Posts
I ran the power cable up to the headliner and over to the driver's side A-pillar and down to the fuse panel, tucking it under all the way. Stuck in an add-a-fuse and attached it to a 12V to 5V USB converter with crimp connectors. Picked up ground from a handy bolt. Plugged in the camera's USB cable and was good-to-go.

The whole job took half an hour, tops.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I ran the power cable up to the headliner and over to the driver's side A-pillar and down to the fuse panel...
This is something I keep thinking about doing but I've always been a bit skeptical of how to run the wiring...

How to you get the cable behind the A-pillar trim? Do you go in from the top or do you pry off the weatherstriping along the door jamb to get it into the bottom? And is it easy to get it from the bottom of the A pillar behind the dash and down toward the fuse box?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm using a nonda ZUS dashcam, USB plugged into a 12v to USB power supply I wired in under the dustpan (LT). There's 12v switched up there, so perfect at least for my use. I had some pics but can't find 'em. Anyway it just sits there and works, I pull a video once in awhile if something interesting happens.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
2,989 Posts
This is something I keep thinking about doing but I've always been a bit skeptical of how to run the wiring...

How to you get the cable behind the A-pillar trim? Do you go in from the top or do you pry off the weatherstriping along the door jamb to get it into the bottom? And is it easy to get it from the bottom of the A pillar behind the dash and down toward the fuse box?
If you just start shoving it under as you go, it will all make sense. The only "tricky" part is getting it under the dash, but even that routing suggests itself. I was amazed at how easy it was. Just be aware that part of it is right next to an airbag panel, but it doesn't interfere with it at all.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
575 Posts
I have searched fourm for what brand of dash cam people are using but have not found that information. Please tell me which dash cam you are using and why you like it. I have researched them and have 10 that I like and will fulfill my needs, but would like to hear from real people that use dash cams. Thanks.
here's a decent thread that might give you some ideas.
It's specifically referring to installing them on our Bolt, but there is some information about camera options as well.

I am using a viofo A119 v3, based on that thread. Might be a little dated though depending on what you are looking for (resolution).

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
2,989 Posts
Thanks, Greg! I think I'm going to give this a try at some point...
Let me know how it goes. I'm putting mine back in my new 2021, but still need a new microSD card. Three years of constant read-write makes me a bit skittish about relying on the old one.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
2,989 Posts
Duplicate, due to site glitch. Being able to delete would be nice...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts