Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an issue on the drivers side of the dash where there is a raised panel near the small window. I have taken it to the dealer and they attempted to replace it with a new piece and the same issue still occurs. So the dealer wants to now replace the raised panel again and the white piece near the headlight control. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so, how was it resolved.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Most of the dash problems on here is about its reflection and blinding people, so far this is the first case I've seen with a raise panel. Maybe the lemon law would apply if they can't fix it after three tries.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Yup, mine does the same thing but a bit closer to the driver (kinda in the middle). Also at the very front corner by the speaker it's kicked up about 1/8". I haven't decided how much I care about it at this point and might let those slide knowing that fit and finish might suffer a bit with an extremely new product... I'll keep an eye on this thread though to see if your issue gets resolved with more part swaps.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think this is a common issue. I saw the same thing on a few cars when I was shopping for our Bolt EV.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't think the lemon law would apply to something so minor. I think it's more for mechanical/electrical issues that cause the vehicle to not perform the way it should.

If it's a common problem, we may just have to look into how we can fix it on our own if replacing the panel doesn't help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same issue on my Bolt, but this is after the dash was removed a few times to fix the environmental controls. Seems like this could be a temperamental piece to get back into place correctly. I'm pretty sure mine didn't come that way, but its possible it could have...
I don't plan on having mine fixed as GM is repurchasing the vehicle due to excessive time in the shop to fix the environmental controls.
I'd be shocked if you get a judgement on something minor like that, although, you could ask GM for some compensation if it has had excessive time in the shop... (Starting with "car payments" relating to how many days it was in the shop would be where I would start. IE: 30 days = 1 car payment.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same issue on my Bolt, but this is after the dash was removed a few times to fix the environmental controls. Seems like this could be a temperamental piece to get back into place correctly. I'm pretty sure mine didn't come that way, but its possible it could have...
I don't plan on having mine fixed as GM is repurchasing the vehicle due to excessive time in the shop to fix the environmental controls.
I'd be shocked if you get a judgement on something minor like that, although, you could ask GM for some compensation if it has had excessive time in the shop... (Starting with "car payments" relating to how many days it was in the shop would be where I would start. IE: 30 days = 1 car payment.)
Here is my concern. They are going to have to take apart most of the dash similar to what they did to your dash but only on the left side. There is a great chance of things breaking, getting scratched or not put together correctly. What seems like a small issue is rather large when it comes to fixing it. And the dealer is not even sure if this would fix it. I talked with the dealer in CA where I had bought the car and they suggested before I get the work done to call customer care and open a ticket on the issue. They also mentioned the lemon law for this issue since so many things can go wrong. So I am just covering all bases.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Your dealership sounds helpful, but it doesn't hurt to take a few pictures or video to document the area in case a few new scratches appear after they try to fix the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

I contacted Chevy Customer Service today. I talked with level 1 support I think. Anyway, they took down the issue, checked into it, and are having advanced technical support contact me in the next 24-48 hours. At that time, the tech will go over what my options are regarding the issue. The level 1 support was telling me that they would have to replace the entire dash. So we will see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is the same way. All the other Bolts in the dealer's lot were raised also.

Since it seems to be a common problem, I'm going to just convince myself that this is how that part was designed :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
Me too it is slightly raised, nothing major, it is hard to notice when looking at it, but can be felt when running the fingers on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update: It has been at the dealership since Thursday. We talked with the tech who is going to work on the car. They have all the parts required to fix the issue. It is suppose to be finished on Tuesday. Once all is said and done and the issue is resolved, I will get the details on how they fixed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2nd Update:

I took it to the dealer last Thursday. They had the car until today. They had to replace the raised part, the white part with the vent and the part on the small window. Everything said and done, it looks better. Is it perfect, no but it is acceptable. There still a slightly raised area near the speaker at the windshield. But the raised part is now locked in and not moving around. I will take updated pictures later on this week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2nd Update:

I took it to the dealer last Thursday. They had the car until today. They had to replace the raised part, the white part with the vent and the part on the small window. Everything said and done, it looks better. Is it perfect, no but it is acceptable. There still a slightly raised area near the speaker at the windshield. But the raised part is now locked in and not moving around. I will take updated pictures later on this week.
I am having the identical issue on my '18. Can you post a pic of the service invoice and the "improved" trim? I need to take my car in for it and it usually helps when I can show them a similar issue. It's really bugging me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The part is called some like the "A" Frame Panel Trim."
I have had the piece replace twice.
The first dealer made it worse.
The second dealer claims to have replaced the trim and the entire dashboard.
I doubt that the dashboard was replaced. The trim is acceptable, though not as snug as I would have liked it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I saw it on the one I test drove. I totally understand how it does indeed bother people. Nothing wrong with that, if you don't like it, get it taken care of. I'm a roll with the punches guy so unless it's flapping up and down, I'm ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My six-week-old 2019 has already had it fixed once and needs it again. Since I'm not parking in the sun, and the problem's always on the left side, I have to assume something on the inside of the car, which only exists on the left side, is causing it to warp. Something to do with charging, maybe?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts