Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a very happy Bolt owner, and my car is still great. The only thing is a dash rattle has sprouted up recently. It happens over rough roads where there is multiple bumps in a row, and doesn't seem to happen over single bumps / pot holes. My car has under 2000 miles. I live in the midwest, and it seems to have started when the colder weather started.
Anyone have the same problem? I have tried to pinpoint where it is coming from, and seems like somewhere behind the infotainment screen.

I am more distressed about the choice in leaving it alone, or taking it in to the dealer. I don't want to make it worse by having the dealer try to "fix" it, and make it worse...
No offense to the dealers / technicians, but trying to find a dealer with a good tech is a crap shoot. It annoys me and puts a small damper on a great great car!
I still love driving it. It is a wonderful car, and I just wish this small problem would never have happened, in terms of the quiet cabin in an electric car. I takes away the serenity offered from an electric car.

Anyone have a similar problem, and was it fixed?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Some months ago we developed an annoying "dash" rattle. The wife was sure it was coming from my side. i was sure it was coming from her side. It only happened on bumpy roads. After seeing a post somewhere about the rear view mirror rattling against the windshield, I started poking around, while driving down a stretch that always caused the rattle. It turned out to be coming from the ceiling light. I had turned on the light by pushing on the lens. Did everybody even know you could do that? I poked it, and the rattle disappeared! :)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
...I started poking around, while driving down a stretch that always caused the rattle. It turned out to be coming from the ceiling light. I had turned on the light by pushing on the lens. Did everybody even know you could do that? I poked it, and the rattle disappeared! :)
I just discovered the push-to-turn-on lenses a couple of days ago. It should have been obvious to me as I've had cars in the past that worked that way, but it still surprised me a bit.

Yeah, a helpful way to diagnose rattles is to apply pressure to things in the car as you're going over bumpy sections. If strong pressure against some part of the dash changes the tone or volume of the rattle then you're probably on to something.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am a very happy Bolt owner, and my car is still great. The only thing is a dash rattle has sprouted up recently. It happens over rough roads where there is multiple bumps in a row, and doesn't seem to happen over single bumps / pot holes. My car has under 2000 miles. I live in the midwest, and it seems to have started when the colder weather started.
Anyone have the same problem? I have tried to pinpoint where it is coming from, and seems like somewhere behind the infotainment screen.

I am more distressed about the choice in leaving it alone, or taking it in to the dealer. I don't want to make it worse by having the dealer try to "fix" it, and make it worse...
No offense to the dealers / technicians, but trying to find a dealer with a good tech is a crap shoot. It annoys me and puts a small damper on a great great car!
I still love driving it. It is a wonderful car, and I just wish this small problem would never have happened, in terms of the quiet cabin in an electric car. I takes away the serenity offered from an electric car.

Anyone have a similar problem, and was it fixed?
Thanks!
I have not, and you have my sympathies. One of the things I like best about the car is how quiet it is. The other suggestions, about putting your hands on various parts to identify the actual location is a good one. I've done similar things with other cars, and it helps a lot in directing the tech to where the actual problem may lie. I wouldn't be as leery of taking it to the dealer for mechanical issues. While the electronics of EVs are terra incognita for Chevy dealers, finding trim problems is the same everywhere.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
You might also want to check the bolts clamping the CV joint in the steering column, near the floor, under the dash. People have found one or more loose bolts there causing a rattle, and a wiggle in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have one at the right-end of the dash, which only happens on a specific coarse-pavement road - it's clearly something resonating in there.

Had it at the dealer to get the tranny and shifter fixed, and they were unable to find the rattle. Waited a half-hour there for a guy to ride-along while I reproduced it, but the guy did not show up, so I left - somewhat annoyed at Chevy service, as usual.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I also had a rattle near where the windshield meets the roof liner. Initially thought it was my dashcam power cable but after sticking paper wedges to keep it in place, there's still a rattle. I also stuck paper wedges into the edges of the dome lights and still rattle. Not nearly as bad as my old Volt, but still annoying as all heck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I noticed one yesterday, on my commute. There’s a rough section of freeway, that causes a rattle, somewhere to my right. I took everything out of the glovebox and center console, but the noise is still there. I’ll check the dome lights and mirror tomorrow. It sounds like it’s coming from the center of the dashboard. Since this is such a quiet car, every little sound stands out that much more. This one is incredibly annoying.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had 2 sounds, turns out one came from stuff in the glove compartment and the other in the passenger trash pocket on the door.

I ALWAYS watch for sounds. In my i-MiEV hear a sound, thought it was nothing. Turns out after $250 later it was the rubber bolts that hold the AC compressor ! a Known issue but not covered

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think that I found the rattle, in my glovebox door latch. Right now, I have a folded piece of paper wedged in the opening. I’ll give it a couple more days, to confirm, before finding a permanent solution.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had my Bolt in to the same dealer for another reason, and reported the dashboard noise again. This time the tech used "electronic chassis ears" and isolated an under-hood noise to the front swaybar end-links, which he replaced. Partnos 42514934 and 42514933.

Seems to have taken care of the noise - which sounded like it came from near the passenger-side air duct when on rough pavement.

A good dealer experience with Carr Chevy.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I also had a rattle near where the windshield meets the roof liner. Initially thought it was my dashcam power cable but after sticking paper wedges to keep it in place, there's still a rattle. I also stuck paper wedges into the edges of the dome lights and still rattle. Not nearly as bad as my old Volt, but still annoying as all heck.
Oh wow, thankfully this thread popped back up to the top.

Mine turned out to be the passenger A pillar interior trim. While driving I used my umbrella to push on the trim when it happened and the rattle went away. I've made to with some paper wedges but they kept falling out and I've dreaded bring it back to the dealer since I could only reproduce on specific freeways stretches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had a rattle near where the windshield meets the roof liner...
Recently, while installing the dash cam, I discovered that the Chevy Bolt front camera is rattling. I am talking about the cam behind the rear view mirror under the black plastic cover. I also noticed that the entire assembly is rattling against the windshield.
So, please check it. It might be your case.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Recently, while installing the dash cam, I discovered that the Chevy Bolt front camera is rattling. I am talking about the cam behind the rear view mirror under the black plastic cover. I also noticed that the entire assembly is rattling against the windshield.
So, please check it. It might be your case.
I did, though only the housing for the rear-view mirror since mine is a LT. Thanks though!

It was one of the first things I looked at since I could easily put my hand on the black, plastic housing while driving and the rattle didn't disappear until I used my umbrella and started pushing on various trim pieces. Passenger A pillar was the winner!

·
Registered
306 Posts
This noise shows up in almost every car I have owned or driven, its the passengers seat belt as it hangs against the door post, on rough roads it slaps the post.

A little bit of sound deadening behind this plastic panel you would never hear the noise instead you have the sound of a drum, my guess is they want to make it noticable so you use the seat belts.
The problem I have, no one is ever in that seat in my car, if you drive alone you will have the same noise the belt just swings around a little on highways without hitting.

BTW a good way to find interior panel noises is to use your fist as a hammer, while hitting with one hand feel for the noise with your free hand.

You have to use common sense when hitting panels some can take a real hit others may damage the panel, be careful how you hit.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
In addition to other items being the cause of rattles as in @Bolt Action's case, I had a rattle on the passenger-side A pillar that I've noticed went away when the the temps climbed above 75 degF. I'm thinking the heat might've loosened up some plastic or something. Will try to update when it gets cold again in a few months.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In addition to other items being the cause of rattles as in @Bolt Action's case, I had a rattle on the passenger-side A pillar that I've noticed went away when the the temps climbed above 75 degF. I'm thinking the heat might've loosened up some plastic or something. Will try to update when it gets cold again in a few months.
I had the same A pillar rattle. The Chevy tech isolated it to a wire that runs behind the plastic. He put some foam tape in there, and it’s now silent.

About a week later, a new rattle appeared, which I’ve tracked down to the center console latch. I’m still trying to figure out how to stop it.

Both sounds were rather quiet, and intermittent. Had they been happening in one of my old fossil burners, I never would’ve heard either of them. Just one of the hazards of driving such a quiet car. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts