Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I think the aim is to minimize surface reflections, so dark, matte colors. Next would be heft and anti-skit properties followed by ease of cleaning. Can you dust it? Do you need a vac? Worse yet, do you need to throw it in the washer?

If you have a local craft shop like Michael's near you, you can just ask them to show you the different fabrics above aside from the dashtex. Happy shopping.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had one made of the carpet on my Buick I was worried the sun would do a number on the dash pad.

I just put it in place I had to make a hole for the sun sensor (the thing that turns your headlights on at night) I didn't attach the velcrow pads to the dash.

It stayed in place the only thing I would do if I bought another would be to run an iron over it to take out the shipping wrinkles.

Suede and Velour are probably microfiber it might be thinner than the carpet and not stay in place.

I keep meaning to buy a dash mat for my car happy you reminded me of doing it, I saw them on ebay recently I think.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Some polarized sunglasses for $20 would be cheaper, if your aim is to eliminate reflections.

I haven't checked the Bolt's infotainment display specifically, but many LCDs use polarizers in the screen layers.

Polaroid sunglasses could render the display screen blank.:eek:

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I haven't checked the Bolt's infotainment display specifically, but many LCDs use polarizers in the screen layers.

Polaroid sunglasses could render the display screen blank.:eek:
Not an issue in the Bolt unless you like to drive with your head tilted at 90 degrees...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Not an issue in the Bolt unless you like to drive with your head tilted at 90 degrees...
Depends on how the glass was installed on the Bolt's screen (assuming they are polarized). My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact phone is polarized and whenever I turn it to landscape to view a video full screen with my polarized sunglasses on, the phone screen turns black. One of my gripes about the phone.

Thankfully, the Bolt's screens don't appear polarized at all. I've turned my head 90deg left and right and no light blockage from the screens.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Depends on how the glass was installed on the Bolt's screen (assuming they are polarized).
Virtually all manufacturers who use LCD displays have figured out that they have to be oriented so that they can be used by users with polarized sunglasses. That includes calculators, watches, and yes - car displays. Phones and tablets are a special case because they can be used in either orientation - they're generally "optimized" for portrait mode since that seems to be the default use case.

The clever manufacturers can orient the display structure so that it "blacks out" at a 45 degree angle, which leaves it functional (albeit a tiny bit darker) in both portrait and landscape orientations.

Most higher end models use screens that emit unpolarized light (i.e., OLED displays) so that rotations aren't an issue.

Thankfully, the Bolt's screens don't appear polarized at all. I've turned my head 90deg left and right and no light blockage from the screens.
I seem to recall noticing that the infotainment screen was a bit susceptible to head rotations but the Driver Information Center seemed to be unaffected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
do you guys have pictures of them after installed/placed on the dash?

curious how they come out, if they look natural/oem or autozone add-on

thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I seem to recall noticing that the infotainment screen was a bit susceptible to head rotations but the Driver Information Center seemed to be unaffected.
Nope, just checked today but didn't occur to me to take video with my glasses off. Tilted my head left and right 90deg and no fading of the infotainment or dash screens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts