Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT purchased used, previous vehicle was a 2015 Chevy eSpark
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi internet people-

I am wanting to install a 2000 to 3000 watt pure sinewave inverter in my Bolt but I am concerned about the max out the DC/DC converter can handle. Anyone know the specs of it? I heard 1.6kW at one point. Tired of carrying propane for our basecamps which are just normally right next to the car and I have a 1200 watt inductive stove that would act as a perfect replacement.

-The Great Electric Adventure.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Hi internet people-

I am wanting to install a 2000 to 3000 watt pure sinewave inverter in my Bolt but I am concerned about the max out the DC/DC converter can handle. Anyone know the specs of it? I heard 1.6kW at one point. Tired of carrying propane for our basecamps which are just normally right next to the car and I have a 1200 watt inductive stove that would act as a perfect replacement.

-The Great Electric Adventure.
"The converter takes the place of the 12 volt generator on a conventional engine and can supply up to 130 amps of power (about 1,600 Watts) when needed."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"The converter takes the place of the 12 volt generator on a conventional engine and can supply up to 130 amps of power (about 1,600 Watts) when needed."

130 amps eh? Gotta run them cables close then.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
86 Posts
Tired of carrying propane for our basecamps which are just normally right next to the car and I have a 1200 watt inductive stove that would act as a perfect replacement.
Hey Adventure! Fancy seeing you here. Are you just looking to cook or are you thinking about heating your camp? Reason I ask, the Bolt has a two hour "time out" (Spark has 3 hours.... why oh why can't we get camping mode?), so for cooking and many other things it's fine, but for use of something while sleeping, probably not so much. Maybe there's an easy "override" I'm not aware of that someone might know and post/correct me.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Maybe there's an easy "override" I'm not aware of that someone might know and post/correct me.
I think it can be done placing the car in neutral and crawling out the passenger door.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it can be done placing the car in neutral and crawling out the passenger door.
Yea, my buddy and I found out about how to access a "camp" mode in the Bolt when he forgot a sleeping bag on a multi day climbing trip in the bitter cold.
We blocked off the wheels; ensured it was on a level plane and flipped it into neutral and put the ebrake on. Turned the infotainment screen off, flicked the lights off and viola! camper mode activated. The bolt we took at the time had heated rear seats so he just slept on those with a spare blanket and did fine. My current Bolt is an LT though so no heated rear seats, so he can't forget a bag next time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Adventure! Fancy seeing you here. Are you just looking to cook or are you thinking about heating your camp? Reason I ask, the Bolt has a two hour "time out" (Spark has 3 hours.... why oh why can't we get camping mode?), so for cooking and many other things it's fine, but for use of something while sleeping, probably not so much. Maybe there's an easy "override" I'm not aware of that someone might know and post/correct me.
Ya just block off the wheels and flick the car in neutral with the ebrake on. I've slept in the Spark plenty of times too, though you have to wake up every three hours if you are on a public charger because you can't shift it into neutral (naturally). Man, those where the days. Roadtripping in the eSpark and being so cheap you'd sleep behind police stations on their single Clipper Creek instead of staying in a hotel~

We just want an all-electric way to camp, I hate propane so much and it's such a bother when you run out 100 miles *edit round trip from any store with propane and have to eat cold food. A heater would be nice for our winter camps but I doubt I'd ever utilize that. I want to run my table saw and other large tools out the back when I start work on my trailer home conversion soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
placing the car in neutral and crawling out the passenger doo
I was unsure about this, because it seemed like quite a task to do without accidentally bumping the shifter, but the linked thread had a post where a member stated that he sat in the passenger seat and used a broom handle to apply the brake pedal, while shifting into neutral with the parking brake already applied. I may try this sometime. Unfortunately for me, when traveling I often like to charge while sleeping and you can't shift into neutral while plugged in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was unsure about this, because it seemed like quite a task to do without accidentally bumping the shifter, but the linked thread had a post where a member stated that he sat in the passenger seat and used a broom handle to apply the brake pedal, while shifting into neutral with the parking brake already applied. I may try this sometime. Unfortunately for me, when traveling I often like to charge while sleeping and you can't shift into neutral while plugged in.
I don't remember that being an issue when we did it I think we opened the driver door multiple times. If it's in neutral it can't shut off- I think.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Roadtripping in the eSpark and being so cheap you'd sleep behind police stations on their single Clipper Creek instead of staying in a hotel
...I may have done this a time or few in Henderson, NC..... and several other places, lol. Nice hotels aren't cheap, and cheap hotels generally, to me, aren't worth staying in. My "dream" is to take the guts of my Spark (motor, electronics, displays, etc) with a model 3 LR battery, and put it into a 2012+ Dodge Caravan, and make an electric camper van.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't remember that being an issue when we did it I think we opened the driver door multiple times. If it's in neutral it can't shut off- I think.
In the Spark due to the shifter design, that's likely accurate. In the Bolt, with it's electronic shifter, if you open the driver's door, I believe it automatically shifts to park.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts