Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,587 Posts
I'll try again. What are people getting for charge rates while on DC Fast Charge with a new recall battery?
Thanks
I didn't have time to test the fast charging right now, because of the polar temps we have here and the fact that the usage I have for my Bolt EV nowadays is mild (never below 60% SOC while I charge it to 80%). I do plan to do a round trip in the next weekends to test the charging speed though.

· Registered
30 Posts
I think the only changes expected are cold winter charging for newer Bolts. And for old 2017-2019 the question is if they pushed the charging curve similar to 2020+, where the current reduction is smooth rather than in big steps how it's done for 2017-2019.

· Registered
553 Posts
I think the only changes expected are cold winter charging for newer Bolts. And for old 2017-2019 the question is if they pushed the charging curve similar to 2020+, where the current reduction is smooth rather than in big steps how it's done for 2017-2019.
I have run one fast charge so far on my 2017, but only got up to 43kw due to the charger. I can confirm the curve after 50% is now smooth. I am going to run another test this week, temperatures in Phoenix are near 80F now, so I expect to get the 55-57kw peak.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi AZBILL,
I’m looking forward to your report on your Fast Charge. I’m trying to get GM to fix what I’m guessing is a software mistake and having numbers from other Bolts that have had the replacement battery install would help.

· Registered
553 Posts
Hi AZBILL,
I’m looking forward to your report on your Fast Charge. I’m trying to get GM to fix what I’m guessing is a software mistake and having numbers from other Bolts that have had the replacement battery install would help.
Well, I was trying to test it yesterday with temperatures at 79F. You can read about my charging failures here:

Now I need to run the battery down again to complete the test and see if the EA solution works. EA thinks I have driven up to the charger with my Mach E, instead of my Bolt! Yes, software is hard.

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV
9,977 Posts
Why should we expect any more than the 55 kW maximum we had with the old battery? Is there something I do not know?
I've gotten the impression from some of these threads that some folks are worried that the charge curve may be more conservative (i.e., slower) or spend more time balancing/checking once full. Presumably this would be due to new safeguards designed to prevent a recurrence of the thermal runaways.

I suspect that at lease some of the angst is coming because of slower charging rates people are seeing brought on by the cold winter weather.

· Registered
780 Posts
I've gotten the impression from some of these threads that some folks are worried that the charge curve may be more conservative (i.e., slower) or spend more time balancing/checking once full. Presumably this would be due to new safeguards designed to prevent a recurrence of the thermal runaways.

I suspect that at lease some of the angst is coming because of slower charging rates people are seeing brought on by the cold winter weather.
This. The interim software seems to be hampering my DCFC now, but TBH, I've never done much of it in the cold. Once/if I get a new battery however (2020), if GM has further nerfed the already painfully slow DCFC, it'll be bye-bye Bolt.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Sean,
My concern is that in my case the software after the new battery swap that is incorrect. I've had the car for 5 years and do long trips in cold and warm temps so I am familiar with the different charge rates. Still working my way up the customer support ladder at GM...

· Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,782 Posts
I've gotten the impression ... that some folks are worried that the charge curve may be more conservative ...
You have reminded me of an important point: Charging rates have not only maximums, but also varying step-down points, and even curved tapering rather than step-downs. Thanks for your wisdom.

· Registered
3 Posts
I'll try again. What are people getting for charge rates while on DC Fast Charge with a new recall battery?
Thanks
I only got 17 to 18 KW at 43°F and 30% SoC.
The GM Concierge battery service will not tell me how many KW to expect or whether it gets faster in minutes or months.
The dealer was not able to get any information either. GM told them to install the SW that allows 100% charge, but I never had the SW that limits the charge to 80%.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts