Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a guaranteed way to disconnect from a DC Fast Charge cable. Obviously I hit the "Stop" button on the charger control screen and charging stopped, and I pushed the trigger release button on the "Nozzle", but for reasons I cannot explain, the car won't release the charge cord. Sometimes turning the car on and off allows for cable disconnection, sometimes not. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Jesse

·
Registered
32 Posts
There was a thread some time back which may or may not be related to similar issue. I don't have enough posts to put a link here.

The thread title was "Fast charger locked to my car" .

Here is a copy & paste of the post from OP after he was able to resolve the issue

"Well, the situation is now solved and there was no fault with the Bolt.

I had thought that when fast charging was initiated, the car engaged some sort of locking mechanism to ensure that the charging handle couldn't be removed (risk of arcing, etc.). It turns out that this isn't true. In my case, due to the position of the charger, there was a sideways force being placed on the charger handle (i.e. the cable was pulling the charger handle sideways). I thought that this might have been causing the charge handle to bind, and while I thought that I had been correcting for this when I tried to remove the charger handle, I guess I didn't enough, because the service manager pulled the handle out on his first try (don't ask me how stupid I feel...Doh!).

Lessons learned:
1) The Bolt does NOT itself lock a changing handle in place
2) Some sideways force is enough to really inhibit the removal of the charger"

·
Registered
115 Posts
The locking of the DC charge plug is built into the plug itself, not the receptacle on the car. So failure to unlock is not going to be the fault of the car. As Darsh mentioned, more than likely you need to wiggle the handle around and try to get it lined up perfect if it fails to release.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There appears to be a motor actuator on the Bolt that can lock the charging handle, it is controlled by the HPCM2. There can also be a push button inhibiting actuator in the cord itself on CCS systems. The silver locking pawl can be seen at the top of the charge port on the car, although I could not see the motor or an actuator push rod assembly from the front face of the receptacle. the motor is controlled by pins 61 and 41, it appears to be a reversing motor type rather than a spring return solenoid based on the control logic presented in the diagram. There is position monitoring on pin 43 on the HPCM2 using what appears to be an analog input.

There have been a few posts on various EV forums about taking the strain off the assembly to allow it to unlatch, it'd be the first thing I would try.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
There have been a few posts on various EV forums about taking the strain off the assembly to allow it to unlatch, it'd be the first thing I would try.
Yes. The ones from the vendors I linked to are reversing motor type, which means just pulling the fuse, or the 12 volt battery cable, wouldn't help either. That motor needs to reverse to get the pin back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There appears to be a motor actuator on the Bolt that can lock the charging handle, it is controlled by the HPCM2
This is interesting. I thought the Bolt didn't have the ability to lock the charge port? Or it is there, but not used currently? I know that is something I have seen others complain about, and something I would like to prevent theft of my portable EVSE.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've only used DCFC from the Chevy dealership's twice to test, and both times they were the following station:

https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/power-dc-plus-25kw?sku=EL-52240

I can confirm, if you look into the J1772 RECEPTACLE on your Bolt as you DCFC, a shiny silver rectangle will be swung down and pressing on top of the locking latch lever on the J1772 PLUG such that when you try to unlatch the J1772 PLUG from your Bolt, you'll find you can't press down on the lever/button. The shiny rectangle from the Bolt is pressing down on the latch to prevent it from unlatching.

When I stopped the DCFC charging inside my Bolt using the STOP GUI button on the Infotainment touchscreen, I can hear the a motor sound which I assumed was the shiny silver rectangle disengaging. Sure enough, I looked and it was no longer deployed down onto the J1772 PLUG's latch and I could unplug the DCFC from my Bolt.

Below is a video and pic of the latch (best I could find). At the 1:00 mark in following video:

https://youtu.be/K8SkntWVLxc?t=60

You can see a silver sliver above the CCS connector. That is the locking mechanism of the Bolt that pushes down on the J1772 PLUG's latch to immobilize it and lock the plug to the Bolt.

Attachments

Reactions: BlackBolt

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had thought that when fast charging was initiated, the car engaged some sort of locking mechanism to ensure that the charging handle couldn't be removed (risk of arcing, etc.). It turns out that this isn't true. "
I was the poster of this quote and I later discovered that I was wrong.

I believe the posts here referring to the metal locking tab are correct...the Bolt DOES lock the charging handle in place when fast charging. I haven't had the time to call GM and find out how to get the charge g handle to release when the car won't let go of it. :confused:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good to hear about some first hand experience and the audible motor noise, I haven't been to a CCS to test it myself, there are none nearby and there isn't much need for them in our day to day travels.

I wonder if it would be worth inspecting the cord jaw before you use a charger, if they are plastic maybe some of them are getting mangled up and binding a bit more than normal; or if it's simply all down to the plug angle in the receptacle causing the issues.

I also wonder what the programmed motor behavior is if it becomes stuck, does it just give up or does it keep trying to retract the pawl after the Stop Charge command until it succeeds. If it keeps trying, along with taking the strain off the cable, you could aid it by gently pushing the top of the silver pawl back and towards the top of the receptacle housing - but if it doesn't keep trying to retract under power, doing so could just break it if you weren't careful. It'd be nice if there was a latch "motor jog" function out by the receptacle to work it back and forth if needed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I use only 1 CCS local to me.

When I hit the STOP button I can hear the plug "disengage" and then I can pull out the plug. Once I didn't hear it but couldn't take out the plug. I had to slightly push in the plug and then I was able to take it out.
not sure if it just got hung up or that the cord was a little askew .

·
Registered
739 Posts
Charger latch

There appears to be a motor actuator on the Bolt that can lock the charging handle, it is controlled by the HPCM2.
Are you sure that the circuit diagram you provided is not simply to indicate that the charger plug is latched? Rather than actuating a latch to lock the charger plug?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you sure that the circuit diagram you provided is not simply to indicate that the charger plug is latched? Rather than actuating a latch to lock the charger plug?
It is "possible" that the GM engineers erroneously indicated a motor inside the the X98 charge control receptacle but I wouldn't expect this to be the case, it's a fairly glaring error if so. I haven't disassembled the charge handle or traced the wires, but there are not even enough contacts in a CCS plug interface to pass the number of connections along that would be required for this error to have occurred.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Here is a good illusion of what's in a high power DC charger plug...spoiler...no latch.

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/image2-2-e1514903003432.jpeg
That is the prototype 500kW charger cable by Pheonix Contact that includes a coolant loop to cool the DC connectors:

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/ca?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/caen/web/main/products/technology_pages/subcategory_pages/High_power_charging_technique/1133ecfe-70de-4949-a06a-e0395c029297

It's not the standard CCS 2.0 spec connector. This is not the full spec but it doesn't mention a cooling loop along the cable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Charging_System

I think for illustration purposes, both sites left out the latching mechanism.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts