Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
From these pictures, I am now wondering how hard it really is to add DCFC aftermarket.
It's hard, especially because of the software obstacles. Only recently one report of success.

·
Registered
964 Posts
It might not be that difficult, but it requires a number of parts including the harness, charging socket, junction box, and powerline communication module.
Yup. And for a motivated (and electrically informed!) owner who can get some parts from a junkyard, it might not be that hard.

But mostly I'm wondering, if Chevy wanted to do this on an existing car, how much would it cost in parts an labor?

The question is really just academic; I made sure to buy my Bolt with the port.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I should have refreshed a little more because it looks like my question/pondering was answered. Cool that someone has done it though.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
It might not be that difficult, but it requires a number of parts including the harness, charging socket, junction box, and powerline communication module.
The hard part is reprograming the car to accept the parts. I am sure a GM engineer could do it, but will they?

[edit] Terrific! I see that somebody did it. I don't know how I missed that reply 27 days ago. Need to spend more time combing the site. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Yup. And for a motivated (and electrically informed!) owner who can get some parts from a junkyard, it might not be that hard.

But mostly I'm wondering, if Chevy wanted to do this on an existing car, how much would it cost in parts an labor?

The question is really just academic; I made sure to buy my Bolt with the port.
The hard part is reprograming the car to accept the parts. I am sure a GM engineer could do it, but will they?

[edit] Terrific! I see that somebody did it. I don't know how I missed that reply 27 days ago. Need to spend more time combing the site. :LOL:
I think the $750 is a deal for the CCS option. Just the parts alone would be close to $750.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Given that Professor Kelly bailed on the attempt, after having his Bolt completely disassembled, I assume it is impractical to add DCFC. There was a recent report here of a Canadian shop offering the upgrade.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I agree 100%. I think it's a darn shame that CCS isn't standard on every Bolt ever built.
I'm not sure I agree that it needed to be standard, but I do think it should have been an opt-out rather than an opt-in. Some people simply don't require DCFC. Fleet vehicles in particular. Now, it does suck for secondary market sales, where prospective buyers aren't sure of what they're getting, but that's about it.

I'm even thinking about this for myself with the Ford Ranger Electrics. Adding DCFC will add significant cost and complication to my restorations, and I'm not 100% convinced that it's needed. Partly because my expectations for the Rangers are different than my expectations for a car like the Bolt EV, which I expect to cover 99% of my driving needs. Because I intend to restore them with the highest base range that's practical, DCFC is an option that I'd rarely if ever use. I'm sure the same is true for many Bolt EV owners.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I bet that if it was standard, it would have cost GM less to include it than supporting two different builds.

Sure, not everyone needs DCFC. But I still think that it should be standard. Many people come to regret it as 2-3 years later CCS chargers are popping up everywhere, some of them are still free to use. Resale is also a real consideration. Then there are the misinformed dealers who ordered a ton of Bolts early on without DCFC. They found that they just couldn't move them (because the dealer across town ordered all of theirs with DCFC), and just gave up on all EVs as a lost cause. Yes, that's exactly what happened to the two largest Chevy dealers in Syracuse.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm not sure I agree that it needed to be standard, but I do think it should have been an opt-out rather than an opt-in. Some people simply don't require DCFC. Fleet vehicles in particular. Now, it does suck for secondary market sales, where prospective buyers aren't sure of what they're getting, but that's about it.

I'm even thinking about this for myself with the Ford Ranger Electrics. Adding DCFC will add significant cost and complication to my restorations, and I'm not 100% convinced that it's needed. Partly because my expectations for the Rangers are different than my expectations for a car like the Bolt EV, which I expect to cover 99% of my driving needs. Because I intend to restore them with the highest base range that's practical, DCFC is an option that I'd rarely if ever use. I'm sure the same is true for many Bolt EV owners.
If you are never going to road trip them, or haul things in a serious manner (like using them as work trucks) then concentrate on getting good AC charging... less expensive but still good for extending their usefulness in "around home" driving. With 11.5 KW charging (48 amp 240V on a 60 amp breaker) in each, you can drive one on an errands trip, come home swap to the other truck to run more errands while the depleted truck charges and keep the cycle going all day :) Well, with 60 kWh battery you could drive 120 mile round trip in one, swap to the other and do another 120 mile round trip... by the time you get back the first truck will have been charging for 3+ hours and have another 70 miles of range available... 310 miles of driving around home is about what I do on a good weekend day in the Bolt :D

Keith

PS: Just for grins I would like to see DCFC, but I understand expense is a factor.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I bet that if it was standard, it would have cost GM less to include it than supporting two different builds.

Sure, not everyone needs DCFC. But I still think that it should be standard. Many people come to regret it as 2-3 years later CCS chargers are popping up everywhere, some of them are still free to use. Resale is also a real consideration. Then there are the misinformed dealers who ordered a ton of Bolts early on without DCFC. They found that they just couldn't move them (because the dealer across town ordered all of theirs with DCFC), and just gave up on all EVs as a lost cause. Yes, that's exactly what happened to the two largest Chevy dealers in Syracuse.
The dealer screwup that amazed me is ordering Bolts with the optional L1 charger... this was the option to get TWO stock L1 EVSE's instead of one... and LOTS of dealerships ordered it this way thinking that having an EVSE was optional... not realizing that having a SPARE EVSE was optional. I got a good deal on my Bolt, but it included this and I had to show the dealership before they gave me the second EVSE... I promptly sold it for a low price on the Volt forum to a guy planning to use it on his first Gen Volt with a 240V patch plug.

Keith

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
If you are never going to road trip them, or haul things in a serious manner (like using them as work trucks) then concentrate on getting good AC charging... less expensive but still good for extending their usefulness in "around home" driving. With 11.5 KW charging (48 amp 240V on a 60 amp breaker) in each, you can drive one on an errands trip, come home swap to the other truck to run more errands while the depleted truck charges and keep the cycle going all day :) Well, with 60 kWh battery you could drive 120 mile round trip in one, swap to the other and do another 120 mile round trip... by the time you get back the first truck will have been charging for 3+ hours and have another 70 miles of range available... 310 miles of driving around home is about what I do on a good weekend day in the Bolt :D

Keith

PS: Just for grins I would like to see DCFC, but I understand expense is a factor.
This is definitely for the grins, too. Luckily, because I push pencils, my need for a work truck is fairly limited. Still, 200+ mile runs to the hardware store with a load would be required. I wonder whether Home Depot and Lowes would install L2 AC at their locations. :unsure:

Oh, wait... PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

:D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm going to buy a Bolt at an auction. I wonder how you can tell if Bolt has fast charging ????
photo for example.

View attachment 31090
A Bolt with DCFC will have sockets in the bottom oval part with an orange flip-down cover. The above shows the absence of DCFC. Below is what you should see if DCFC is present:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
This is definitely for the grins, too. Luckily, because I push pencils, my need for a work truck is fairly limited. Still, 200+ mile runs to the hardware store with a load would be required. I wonder whether Home Depot and Lowes would install L2 AC at their locations. :unsure:

Oh, wait... PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

:D
Unless you plan on sitting in that parking lot for 10+ hours I think DCFC may be in your future. I know it is a dying standard, but back in the day they had CHAdeMO upgrade kits (JdeMO) for the Toyota RAV4 EV, it may make more sense for you to pursue that route of DCFC if it can be adapted to your setup... but those kits were intended for the RAV4 EV (based on Tesla Technology and equipment) so it may not be any easier for you than a custom CCS solution.

Keith

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Unless you plan on sitting in that parking lot for 10+ hours I think DCFC may be in your future. I know it is a dying standard, but back in the day they had CHAdeMO upgrade kits (JdeMO) for the Toyota RAV4 EV, it may make more sense for you to pursue that route of DCFC if it can be adapted to your setup... but those kits were intended for the RAV4 EV (based on Tesla Technology and equipment) so it may not be any easier for you than a custom CCS solution.

Keith
Yes, CHAdeMO definitely is an option. It's a pretty straightforward solution, assuming you have a CANBUS system to connect it to (the Ford Ranger Electrics don't). I think I'm going to need a discrete BMS for my upgrade path regardless, though, so CHAdeMO might be a quick and easy (though expensive) solution. The cool thing about the Ford Ranger Electrics is they already have a separate "charging port" that would work well for a CHAdeMO plug. 🤣

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Given that Professor Kelly bailed on the attempt, after having his Bolt completely disassembled, I assume it is impractical to add DCFC. There was a recent report here of a Canadian shop offering the upgrade.
That's bizarre. All Canadian Bolts come with DCFC as standard equipment, if anyone is offering upgrades I'd expect it to be in the US where there would be a demand for them.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
That's bizarre. All Canadian Bolts come with DCFC as standard equipment, if anyone is offering upgrades I'd expect it to be in the US where there would be a demand for them.
I'm not sure whether Professor Kelly missed something, but the one thing I think he might have overlooked was the Powerline Communication Module (or possibly the software to get it working). He's pretty thorough, though, so I'm surprised he missed anything.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
617 Posts
I'm not sure whether Professor Kelly missed something, but the one thing I think he might have overlooked was the Powerline Communication Module (or possibly the software to get it working). He's pretty thorough, though, so I'm surprised he missed anything.
Did he ever conclusively rule it out? I seem to recall he was intending to explore it, but I never saw a follow up with a conclusion on the matter. I also recall he had the tools to re-program, but whether there are guides to doing so is another question.

The fact that a Canadian shop seems to have figured it out is promising for this who need it. Maybe too expensive for most to bother with, but promising nonetheless. Hopefully, documentation will follow and GM will add this to acceptable services for certified repair shops.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I never found Kelly's dismissal directly, but this site: Can DCFC be added later? – All EV Info
quotes him as saying "No video yet, I was too disgusted with how different EVERYTHING is on a vehicle without DCFC. It is ridiculous, it could have been such a simple upgrade." and presumes to conclude that he found it impossible. I doubt that's fully correct. But given that he showed in one of his tear-down videos that he had the needed module in hand (bought off Ebay with intentions of upgrading), and apparently decided later not to proceed, I conclude that he found it impractical.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts