Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
617 Posts
I never found Kelly's dismissal directly, but this site: Can DCFC be added later? – All EV Info
quotes him as saying "No video yet, I was too disgusted with how different EVERYTHING is on a vehicle without DCFC. It is ridiculous, it could have been such a simple upgrade." and presumes to conclude that he found it impossible. I doubt that's fully correct. But given that he showed in one of his tear-down videos that he had the needed module in hand (bought off Ebay with intentions of upgrading), and apparently decided later not to proceed, I conclude that he found it impractical.
Or, GM asked him not to pursue it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's bizarre. All Canadian Bolts come with DCFC as standard equipment, if anyone is offering upgrades I'd expect it to be in the US where there would be a demand for them.
Dealerships in Quebec import a lot of US EVs. For example, there's a decent supply of Spark EVs for sale there, which is pretty good for a car that wasn't sold in Canada. I'm sure they're bringing enough Bolts from the US, without the DCFC option, for there to be a market for this upgrade.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Did he ever conclusively rule it out? I seem to recall he was intending to explore it, but I never saw a follow up with a conclusion on the matter. I also recall he had the tools to re-program, but whether there are guides to doing so is another question.

The fact that a Canadian shop seems to have figured it out is promising for this who need it. Maybe too expensive for most to bother with, but promising nonetheless. Hopefully, documentation will follow and GM will add this to acceptable services for certified repair shops.
I didn't hear directly, but someone mentioned that he had posted something about abandoning it after not being able to get it working. My guess is, that shop isn't going to be too forthcoming; otherwise, they would have at least posted a parts list or basic process. They're probably hoping to provide it as an exclusive service.

The theory behind it isn't difficult, but without a reason for offering it, I don't see it being something that GM wants to do. As much as I hate to say it, I think the Bolt EV is a dead end car for them. While it's modular and serviceable, it's not really designed with upgrades in mind. The BEV3 and Ultium platforms, however, do look like they are designed with upgrades in mind. Essentially, someone could buy a base Lyriq from a Cadillac dealership for $60,000, and if they're willing to pay for it later, they could always upgrade it from 150-200 kW charging to 350-400 kW charging, more range, more power, etc. That gives dealerships the service path they want in the absence of having to constantly repair stuff.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I didn't hear directly, but someone mentioned that he had posted something about abandoning it after not being able to get it working.
Prof. Kelley is no an IT nerd. These guys probably are. When GM gave him the straight arm, he probably gave up.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Dealerships in Quebec import a lot of US EVs. For example, there's a decent supply of Spark EVs for sale there, which is pretty good for a car that wasn't sold in Canada. I'm sure they're bringing enough Bolts from the US, without the DCFC option, for there to be a market for this upgrade.
Yeah, good point. There are a few places here in BC that do a good business in imports as well.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts