Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

DCFC charging stops after a couple of minutes

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  p7wang 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had this problem?

I have been going to my local Petro Canada EV Charging station since May 2021 to charge my 2019 Bolt LT. I had no problems until mid June when the charging would just stop after 5 to 10 minutes. I started it again and it would stop again after 3 or 4 minutes. I called and reported the problem and they said the charger is low on coolant and a technician will be out to service it. They also mentioned it could be the charging cable. The error message I got was "charging failed - vehicle timeout"

I went to another station - Electrify Canada - and started charging and it stopped after 10 minutes. I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my DCFC port? I can charge at home on my Level 2 charger with no problems.

I am at a loss and ready to call the dealership for service before my warranty runs out.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have noticed some well used L2 plugs are so worn that I would have to push it in to start charging. Once I release it, it stops charging. I just move over to the next plug.

So, my first suspect is the plug. I think it best to report this to Petro Canada and also post your experience on PlugShare. Perhaps others who have problem would post their experience also and get PC to fix it.

#3 ·
I have only had problems at Petro-Cans. Konas seem to have a similar difficulty. Apparently a trick is to lift the connector. So I hang the cable over the protection post (I don't know what they're called :) ) and give just that bit of lift. Not forcefully or too much. Just enough to give a little lift or to take the weight off. See how you make out next time.

#5 ·
lol They're the ones that gave me that tip. It seems to be working for me so far. Not just for starting. The whole charge. That's why I drape the cable over that post to lift the connector. But as I said, it's only Petro-Cans that have been a problem for me. I've used BCHydro, Fortis and Electrify Canada without issue. So I'll be on the lookout the next time I might use an Electrify Canada machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.