Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long overlooked by California's electrification effort, the vast area east of Bakersfield will soon be getting its first public DC fast charging (DCFC) stations for electric vehicles (EVs).

Drivers of non-Tesla EVs traveling east of Bakersfield currently find a veritable charging desert. There are no public DCFC stations east of Bakersfield until you reach Baker on the route to Las Vegas--and that station only recently opened. Tesla operates private fast charging stations, what they call superchargers, in Mojave, Inyokern, and Mammoth Lakes, as well as elsewhere.

However, three programs are underway to locate stations on the east side of the Sierra Nevada. Two are being developed by the state of California. The third is being developed privately by the Volkswagen (VW) subsidiary Electrify America.

Two of those programs should see construction begin on several stations this summer. All stations should be completed by the end of 2019.

The California Energy Commission (CEC)'s Interregional Corridor contract GFO-15-603 awarded grants to two companies, ChargePoint and EV Connect, for installations in Tehachapi, Mojave, Inyokern, and Kramer Junction.

CalTrans, the state's transportation department, will be installing stations in its 30-30 program at safety roadside rest areas at Coso Junction, and Independence, as well as at its district headquarters in Bishop.

ChargePoint plans to install a DCFC station in Tehachapi in the Capital Cities development north of Hwy 58, another near Inyokern and Hwy 14, and another at the Kramer Junction of Hwy 58 and US 395.

EV Connect is responsible for installing a station at the airport in Inyokern and another in Mojave. They are expected to break ground on the Inyokern station this month.

VW will be installing a number of stations under its consent decree for Dieselgate. VW's Electrify America hired Black & Veatch to build the sites--the same people who built Tesla's supercharger network in the state. Though VW builds cars using the CCS standard, Electrify America will install both CHAdeMO, the Japanese standard, and CCS connections. They will future proof the stations with the capability of raising charging capacity up to 350 kW. Typically, non-Tesla stations charge at no more than 50 kW per connection. Electrify America's stalls will accept RFID, mobile pay apps, and credit cards for payment.

All 600 chargers for VW's first cycle of development in California have been ordered. Manufacturers selected include ABB, BTC Power, Efacec, and Signet. Permitting for the selected sites begin this quarter.

Electrify America's deliberately vague maps don't provide much detail, but it appears they plan a station somewhere between Bakersfield and Mojave. They also have stations planned for somewhere between Inyokern and Olancha and a third station somewhere around Bishop.

CalTrans has yet to award contracts for its stations. Nevertheless, they are scheduled to be on line by mid-2019.

Registered
Every time I look at that map I get excited. It would be nice though if the standard wasn't to just put one DCFC at a location. It seems like two or three at a minimum would have an exponentially bigger impact. For instance, I imagine a lot of people are looking forward to taking highway 395 when chargers come online. If those locations end up having lines of even just a few people, that really reduces the effectiveness/practicality of the route.

Isn't it pretty rare to have a single supercharger in a location? In addition to being fast it seems like the big benefit of Tesla's network is there's a bunch of them at each location to further reduce wait times.

Registered
Every time I look at that map I get excited. It would be nice though if the standard wasn't to just put one DCFC at a location. It seems like two or three at a minimum would have an exponentially bigger impact.
For Electrify America, their freeway stations will have at least four CCS stations of which two will be high power combined with one chad-EMO station. That's not a huge amount, but it's better than there being just one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For Electrify America, their freeway stations will have at least four CCS stations of which two will be high power combined with one chad-EMO station. That's not a huge amount, but it's better than there being just one.

I guess the attorneys will have to look at the consent decree. VW may be meeting the letter of the agreement but not the intent if they favor CCS in this way. What I remember from the public statement of the consent decree is that they "would not favor" one charge standard over another--or some wording to that effect.

While I can't wait for these stations to come on line I am not sanguine about how VW is rolling this out. The secrecy for one does nothing to overcome suspicion of VW after dieselgate.

I'll use them and be happy to do so but I may not like it. And that attitude could affect the next vehicle we buy or lease. . .

Paul

Registered
I guess the attorneys will have to look at the consent decree. VW may be meeting the letter of the agreement but not the intent if they favor CCS in this way.
It's my impression that pretty much everyone agrees that chad-EMO must die in the USA (even many Leaf owners). Only Nissan will be selling chad-EMO cars in the US from this point on, everyone else besides Tesla will be doing CCS.

While I can't wait for these stations to come on line I am not sanguine about how VW is rolling this out. The secrecy for one does nothing to overcome suspicion of VW after dieselgate.

I'll use them and be happy to do so but I may not like it. And that attitude could affect the next vehicle we buy or lease. . .
EA was funded by VW but I don't think you should assume everything it does is according to a VW agenda. The secrecy is mostly due to not wanting other people to screw around with their locations before deals are signed. And perhaps some organizational issues related to getting everything going under short timeframes.

What I care about most is them opening stations on time and having a network of well-maintained stations that work reliably. If they screw up the PR side, I'll be a bit frustrated but I'll deal.

Registered
This is better than nothing. But it's 70 miles (140 round trip) from Inyokern to Lone Pine. That only leaves you with 60 miles to drive around the Lone Pine area. Tesla seems really smart with their Super Charger locations. They're like American Express--they're everywhere I'd like to be. A lot of DCFC locations seem oddly placed.

At least EvGo has the Baker chargers working. Located at the northern entrance to the Mojave National preserve (and on the route to Vegas), it's a home run.

Registered
2017 Bolt EV
It's my impression that pretty much everyone agrees that chad-EMO must die in the USA (even many Leaf owners). Only Nissan will be selling chad-EMO cars in the US from this point on, everyone else besides Tesla will be doing CCS.
Exactly. There's no reason that Nissan can't equip North American Leafs with a CCS port, just as the European manufacturers use our variant of CCS for their North American production instead of the European variant.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly. There's no reason that Nissan can't equip North American Leafs with a CCS port, just as the European manufacturers use our variant of CCS for their North American production instead of the European variant.

I am not convinced that CHAdeMO is dead. This forum naturally favors CCS, I get that. It's what we use. However, VW admitted criminality and signed a consent decree. CARB, EPA (Ok, maybe not EPA) will have to determine whether VW has met its legal obligations. I for one would not let VW off the hook on the "not favor" one connection standard over the other and I would support the Japanese taking CARB to court to enforce the consent decree.

Of course we could all just adopt the Tesla standard. ;)

Paul

Registered
Of course we could all just adopt the Tesla standard. ;)
This would get my vote. It seems like the nicest one out of all of them in both design and function. We really seem to be wasting a lot of money and time dealing with multiple plugs/standards in this crucial time of infrastructure build out and public adoption.

Registered
It is far easier to simply change a socket (both being CCS, using the same protocols) than it is to develop and ship TWO different charging technologies. CHAdeMO was developed first, and has completely different charging protocols (both between the car and the charger, and inside the car) than CCS. Now, Hyundai and Kia (well, they are the same company) have done it, so it isn't impossible, but it does mean a pretty significant investment, both in H/W and S/W development.

Registered
2017 Bolt EV
I am not convinced that CHAdeMO is dead.
I'm not saying it's dead, I'm saying that when we're down to only one manufacturer shipping CHAdeMO cars to North America, it's probably time to admit that CHAdeMO really doesn't have much of a future here. That doesn't mean it can't still be popular in other parts of the world.

It is far easier to simply change a socket (both being CCS, using the same protocols) than it is to develop and ship TWO different charging technologies. CHAdeMO was developed first, and has completely different charging protocols (both between the car and the charger, and inside the car) than CCS.
Pfft - protocols are just software. There's a cost to develop and test, and a small cost for equipping the assembly line to handle both variants of charging module. After that, the additional cost per car is pretty negligible.

Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
Oh, OK. He did show the map with the dot... darn.

BTW, another exciting update. Looks like one also 'coming soon' at Yermo, CA!
I used Plugshare app and selected 'coming soon'. Once these 2 DCFC stations are up, I would not worry about driving that route. No idea what's around Yermo so I may still prefer to stop at Barstow Walmart for DCFC, though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.