Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the second video on how tapering works in optimal conditions for a Bolt at a 125 amp station.
It's been pointed out (complained about) that these charging times are only achieved in optimal conditions and therefore of limited use, but I hope some of you find them useful nonetheless, as I did when I first came across them.
As before, special thanks to @Zoomit for some of the the graph data, and @Vertiformed for the timing data and feedback.
https://youtu.be/yXy-zhRIcDU

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Adding the charge rate picture... this definitely does not match my experience charging at a 24KW station. I started charging at around 35% SOC and it charged at 22KW then it dropped to 20KW for most of the charge and finally bumped up to 22KW again when around 70% or 75%. I ended the charge at 80%.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this definitely does not match my experience charging at a 24KW station.
Nor would it.

The picture of the graph you included is the graph of a 50kW station. Even a lower powered station like the one I did here would not match your experience, as it too, is higher than 24 kW. Indeed, the speeds you experienced are almost exactly in line with what I would expect from a 24 kW station, that is, a more or less steady rate of charge until around 80%. As stated in the video, there are a lot of factors that effect charging - station power, state of charge, ambient temperature, pack temperature, etc. - so I won't speculate as to why you saw a dip and then an increase, but I would say you had a totally normal real world experience. But even if you mistyped and meant to say you had that experience at a 50 kW station, I would not be surprised. Temperature can play a huge role in the rates your Bolt will charge. Seeing rates around 20 kW at a DCFC that purports to supply 50 kW would not be a surprise to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts