Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

DCFC turns off at 58%

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  p7wang 
#1 ·
I just completed a 1500 mile trip in my 2019. On the return leg the a fast charger shutoff at 58%, at my next charging stop, I stayed in the car and noticed that at 58% it sounded like the AC compressor turned on. This was follow by a notification that fast chaging was terminated. The outside temperature was 70 deg - earlier on the trip I charged at 95+ deg with no problems. Has anyone heard of this issue?

#4 ·
Would be nice if the free stations do that and prevent you from getting another 30 min until another car had a chance to charge (this would require that the charger can read the VIN) and prevent people from hogging the DCFC trying to get to 100% charge.

Reactions: ZoomZoom
#5 ·
I read here that the last 20% on DFCF is much slower than the preceding fill up. Do people really sit there and go to 100%? I'm still throwing up in my mouth at the thought of charging outside of home unless it is 100% absolutely necessary and completely unavoidable.

#9 ·
Using an Electrify America DCFC once, charging randomly stopped after about 15mins. I don't recall the state of charge (would be weird if it had been 58%!), and I didn't have time to mess with it, so I left.

In general I have about 50% luck with DCFC of all kinds, which really does not inspire confidence for long trips, especially in winter...

#10 ·
This was an issue specifically with ABB Terra HP chargers that I encountered (both on Electrify America and on EVgo). I believe it has since been patched. I actually ran into this issue on EVgo when I was driving out to Las Vegas and back (it's visible at 5:39 in the video).

Again, though, this hasn't been an issue for awhile, and I think it was corrected at the same time ABB issued a patch to address issues that Chevy Spark EV owners were experiencing.

#12 ·
Does anyone know (from spec sheets, or personal experience) if extreme heat would prevent a DCFC session from starting up? One of my road trip ChargePoint fails was on a really hot day (upper 90s), right after getting off the interstate. I wonder if the car/charger decided it was just too hot to start a session? (Or should it have still charged, just maybe slower...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.