Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

Have/want DCFC? Use it? Happy with your decision?

• No Bolt: but I'd get DCFC.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Bolt with DCFC: Used DCFC a lot. Glad.

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Bolt with DCFC: Used DCFC a lot. Regret DCFC.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Bolt with DCFC: Hardly/never used DCFC. Glad.

Votes: 104 62.7%
  • Bolt with DCFC: Hardly/never used DCFC. Regret DCFC.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • No Bolt: but I'd skip DCFC.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bolt without DCFC: Wished I had it at least once. Regret no DCFC.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Bolt without DCFC: Not sure if I'll need it in the future. Regret no DCFC.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Bolt without DCFC: Never have/never will wish for it. Glad.

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One question that has come up in various threads is whether a Bolt without a DCFC port is missing something, or one that has one has something that isn't really needed.

So, this poll aims to dive into that a bit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have not used a DCFC charging port. I don't think everyone will ever agree if it isn't really needed. It's a personal choice based on use, intended use and sometimes $. A Bolt with a DCFC is a better EV overall. When in doubt, you should have one. I think most would agree, much like some will say heated seats in the back make it a better car too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hate to be picky and not trying to be difficult but the poll descriptions almost made me wish for none of the above as an option. I voted for Bolt never have never wished but it's not really covering my situation. I wish I had one, and if it was a $250 option or $300 I would have bought it. I did say on day 1 with my original post that the price was too high for someone, me, who would never use it in all likelihood. I honestly don't think I would have ever used one if I had it. But my circumstance is unique and not common here and I live in an area that doesn't have much, nearly no DC fast charging. The whole point of regret, not sure what the point of that is, it adds a different element to the poll, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
What annoys me is the premium they charge for the option. What is it, $750, for what, thick copper wires that go to the battery? The rest of the DCFC infrastructure is already there, right? Seems the option should be more like $200. At that point, might as well just build it in to the the price of the vehicles so nobody is caught by surprise. It's standard in Canada, right?

All that said, I intend to never public charge, so it wouldn't be a benefit to me unless I'm moving across country or something. Even then I'd need to trailer at least one of my vehicles, so it might as well be the EV.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What annoys me is the premium they charge for the option. What is it, $750, for what, thick copper wires that go to the battery? The rest of the DCFC infrastructure is already there, right? Seems the option should be more like $200. At that point, might as well just build it in to the the price of the vehicles so nobody is caught by surprise. It's standard in Canada, right?

All that said, I intend to never public charge, so it wouldn't be a benefit to me unless I'm moving across country or something. Even then I'd need to trailer at least one of my vehicles, so it might as well be the EV.
I read somewhere that it's standard oversea's, but not in Canada. I'm trying to validate my answer, I found one thread talking about overseas being standard, still looking for Canada.

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts

Be glad GM only charges $750. I believe Nissan charges $1k+ for the CHAdeMO port on the Leaf.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hate to be picky and not trying to be difficult but the poll descriptions almost made me wish for none of the above as an option. I voted for Bolt never have never wished but it's not really covering my situation.
In making any poll, you have to have limited options and lose nuance. It would be cool to also ask how long people had their cars as part of the poll, and also figure out the threshold where people would say “ah, what the heck, let's add it”. I'm sure if it was only $1 cents extra, only very strange people would say “no”.

·
Registered
504 Posts
In making any poll, you have to have limited options and lose nuance. It would be cool to also ask how long people had their cars as part of the poll, and also figure out the threshold where people would say “ah, what the heck, let's add it”. I'm sure if it was only $1 cents extra, only very strange people would say “no”.
Good point. I took too much Psychology in college and work in law enforcement so my viewpoint is warped. I doubt we'll see much in the bought but regret option. I've found in my life experiences that most people who buy something they don't use won't admit it was a decision they wouldn't repeat. Talking about staple goods/items, not things like insurance/so forth. Not sure I'm being clear. For me, the number I'm interested in is how many people who have it, regardless of why, but don't use it. This is a great poll, no poll will ever be perfect. The Bolts that the dealers are ordering for general sale here in WI, have the DCFC. If you walk in off the street in that situation, you're getting it whether or not you want it.

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
have it. don't even know if it works. everything is relative. $750 seemed pretty cheap to me. so just threw that in.
Think of your DCFC port as the spare tire of charging. Even if you never plan on using it, there may be that 1 time where it saves your bacon.

·
Registered
504 Posts
have it. don't even know if it works. everything is relative. $750 seemed pretty cheap to me. so just threw that in.
I get that, when the dust settles for my Bolt, I think I will have a regret and for me it's not having the heated rear seats. It would have been just a couple thousand dollars to go that route....the Premier package. But I refused (stubborn) to spend more than my overtime cash-out check for my first ever, 2nd car.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I get that, when the dust settles for my Bolt, I think I will have a regret and for me it's not having the heated rear seats. It would have been just a couple thousand dollars to go that route....the Premier package. But I refused (stubborn) to spend more than my overtime cash-out check for my first ever, 2nd car.
for me it was kind of a one time only in my life new car buy. was my first one, and probably would be my last.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I think I will have a regret and for me it's not having the heated rear seats. It would have been just a couple thousand dollars to go that route....the Premier package. But I refused (stubborn) to spend more than my overtime cash-out check for my first ever, 2nd car.
Seems wise to me. Installing a seat heater seems moderately-low difficulty and pretty cheap. You might even be able to find an upholsterer that knows how to do it for a reasonable price if you don't want to do it yourself.

I consider front seat heaters a requirement in the PNW, especially in an EV. Rear seat heaters are a nice bonus, but then people in the rear seat are getting a free ride, and free riders don't get to complain about the quality of the ride.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Have DCFC, in 20,000 miles have never used it.
Pro'ly woulda' bought without, but the car
I wanted was 20 minutes from home and
had it, at a great price, so we bought it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
We knew we'd be unlikely to ever need DCFC and our dealer had three Bolts on the lot; so when my wife preferred the Cajun Red Premier, which did not have DCFC, that was just money saved.

FWIW, while we were waiting a couple of months for installation of the free ESVE from our utility, we discovered we could cover our use with the OEM 120-volt charger.

We've never used public charging and probably never will. A DCFC would have been just wasted capital. As for those who will insist it's a must for resale, not likely in my experience to recoup cost plus interest over five years ($937.50) so one is betting a five-year-old Bolt with DCFC will fetch $1,000 more than one without. Over more than fifty years of selling my cars, I've had buyers refuse to consider OEM options I chose or aftermarket expensive sound systems, snow tires on wheels, ski racks, bike racks, car top carriers, spare parts I chose, as having any additional value to them. But then, there's the guy who loved our mint '70 Camaro and everything was almost perfect, but he only wanted one with a 4bbl and dual exhausts He'd have paid $1,000 more if ours had that $250 option. Your opinions and results may differ.

jack vines

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
About this Discussion
127 Replies
45 Participants
GRS
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing