Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp my one week old 2021 Premier is a dead brick sitting on my driveway. It has driven about 60 miles in its life.

I was out driving and noticed that the red battery icon was on at the bottom of the screen. And then it popped up a message:

"Battery Charging System Vehicle May Stall". Uh oh. But it let me keep driving, so I dismissed the error. After a while it appeared again. Dismiss. It started appearing more and more quickly until I was at the end of my driveway and the car died.

It wouldn't start, but it also wouldn't switch off. And then eventually it did switch off. I called OnStar and they sent me a diagnostic report, but then the infotainment system died mid-call, and so did the rest of the electronics. It had about 70% main battery charge, so I assume it's the 12v battery that has died.

The dealer service department is currently closed so I'll have to call them in the morning and have it towed to them.

the message that showed up while I was driving (taken by my wife):

The diagnostic report:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Me too! I wonder if it might be the system that is supposed to keep it charged by the main battery.
That's my guess based on the symptoms, and a scenario that wouldn't worry me personally too much (compared to problems with the traction battery).

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
3 Posts
Welp my one week old 2021 Premier is a dead brick sitting on my driveway. It has driven about 60 miles in its life.

I was out driving and noticed that the red battery icon was on at the bottom of the screen. And then it popped up a message:

"Battery Charging System Vehicle May Stall". Uh oh. But it let me keep driving, so I dismissed the error. After a while it appeared again. Dismiss. It started appearing more and more quickly until I was at the end of my driveway and the car died.

It wouldn't start, but it also wouldn't switch off. And then eventually it did switch off. I called OnStar and they sent me a diagnostic report, but then the infotainment system died mid-call, and so did the rest of the electronics. It had about 70% main battery charge, so I assume it's the 12v battery that has died.

The dealer service department is currently closed so I'll have to call them in the morning and have it towed to them.

the message that showed up while I was driving (taken by my wife):
View attachment 34431

The diagnostic report:
View attachment 34432
Have you tried jump starting your Bolt? There is a procedure in the owners manual. You might be able to power it up enough to have Onstar run a full diagnostic.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I would definitely put it on a an trickle charger overnight. This would at least ensure the parking pawl is disengaged, and the parking brake is off. That will avoid the chance of them screwing something up dragging the car up onto a rollback.

·
Registered
2019 bolt Lt
47 Posts
Sometimes those 12volt batteries die on the dealer's lot,like the new Corvette in the showroom I sat in a couple years ago, it didn't,t have enough power to unlock the door.Salesman said battery gets drained by the onboard computer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. No trickle charger (time to order one!) but I do have jumper cables in my Sonic so I’m giving the battery a little juice. Glad I read the manual, the post for connecting the neutral is not immediately obvious.

Tow truck will be here in an hour.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. No trickle charger (time to order one!) but I do have jumper cables in my Sonic so I’m giving the battery a little juice. Glad I read the manual, the post for connecting the neutral is not immediately obvious.

Tow truck will be here in an hour.
Yes. They want you to use the ground stud on the accessory battery charger so that the current travels through the current sensor, which is around the ground cable coming off the battery and running to the firewall ground stud. This is to keep the computers informed as to what is going on. If you hooked directly to the battery ground post, the car would most likely through some codes. Interesting to see the same sensor used on an enormous list of GM vehicles...over 300 in all.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
73 Posts
I'm leaning towards the 12v battery has a bad cell this could mean even if you get it jumped started or charge the battery may not hold enough to power up,it could make the electronics act funky might be best to start with having a load test on the battery this can be done with it out of the car if it test bad it should be covered under your warranty at the dealership

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm leaning towards the 12v battery has a bad cell this could mean even if you get it jumped started or charge the battery may not hold enough to power up,it could make the electronics act funky might be best to start with having a load test on the battery this can be done with it out of the car if it test bad it should be covered under your warranty at the dealership
Yep the dealership thinks it's a bad 12v battery. They don't have one in stock so I wont be getting the car back until Wednesday probably.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I spoke too soon. I was driving today and the error message and battery light reappeared.

Luckily I was driving to the Chevy dealership to pick up my other car from being serviced, and I made it there before it died again (I dropped my other car with them when I picked up the Bolt after the first “fix”, it feels like I’m playing car tennis)

The guy at the service department seemed both shocked and baffled, which doesn’t leave me with much confidence.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The guy at the service department seemed both shocked and baffled, which doesn’t leave me with much confidence.
Shocked, baffled, bewildered, clueless, sloppy, careless.......words describing 95% of dealer service dept. employees I have encountered in my 5 decades of owning vehicles.

Hopefully you are lucky and (eventually) get your car back in proper working order.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hopefully you are lucky and (eventually) get your car back in proper working order.
..."eventually" may be the correct word here; I just heard from the dealership and they have no idea what's wrong with it or how long it will take to diagnose let alone fix it. But they're trying! I will get another update tomorrow.

One weird thing, he said that when he went to look at the car last night it was totally dead, the key fob did nothing. Then this morning the technician went to look at it and it started up right away (with a bunch of error codes in the system). That would lead me think that maybe the 12v charging system is partially/slowly working except that the first time this happened the car was still totally dead 14 hours later. It's a mystery.

I had a chat with an EV concierge letting them know that I'm unhappy that my new car is in this state. He tried to throw the dealership under the bus for initially diagnosing it as bad battery cell. "They must not have done a real diagnosis", "I can help you find a dealership who is certified to service EVs". My dealership is definitely EV certified, and they have been nothing but helpful and apologetic about this whole thing.

They also said that the Customer Experience Manager at the dealership was the only person who could offer me any kind of help, and that the concierge couldn't do anything. I then floated the idea of a buy back if this doesn't get resolved soon and my case has been passed on to a senior advisor to review and "take action". So I guess they can do something after all.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry for your problems. The good news is GM has factory advisors that can assist your dealer (assuming they contact them). When I had a problem, the dealer contacted the factory for help and he told me they were very helpful.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
73 Posts
Do you have the my Chevrolet app. I'm curious if it would have anything pop up on it under the vehicle status tab. Probably not but it would be cool if it did.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts