Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
558 miles and exactly 2 weeks and I'm dead on the side of the 210 with a 2017 Bolt that won't move. It first gave me a "bing" and the exclamation over a car symbol lower right, message something like "Propulsion is reduced" and I couldn't maintain speed and pulled to the side. Turned off and back on and now it says "Conditions not right for shift". Called OnStar (still on trial) who connected me to Chevy Roadside. They asked me questions like whether it was 4WD :-/ 35-55 minutes for a tow. Planning on the more convenient dealership, which isn't where I bought it.
:mad:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Might be 12V battery, might be one of the problems seen over the past 6 months (bad battery pack, bad electrical 'unit' in the vehicle's 'network', ...).

First check though is "is the 12V battery dead"? (which it shouldn't be if you were actively driving down the road).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was reading that thread as I was waiting on my tow. Those mostly seem to be when they were already at a stop, but who knows. It got towed to Sierra Chevrolet in Monrovia, who didn't look at today. So... two days without my new car, before anything even gets done. No loaner/rental during that time.
have you filled out your survey yet? if not...call your dealer you bought from and mention that + you have no car + towed it to another dealer who's dragging their feet. Who knows, maybe something magical could happen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you filled out your survey yet? if not...call your dealer you bought from and mention that + you have no car + towed it to another dealer who's dragging their feet. Who knows, maybe something magical could happen.
I just had done my sales satisfaction survey...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. 7 days in. No useful information still from Sierra Chevrolet or Chevrolet. The service adviser finally gave me a list of codes. No information of the theories, diagnostic steps, next steps or timing. The long weekend is guaranteed to extend it to 10 days. I've called the GM of Sierra Chevrolet, Mike Hoffman (voicemail and no response). The Chevrolet "customer engagement" people are "very sorry" about the problems, but so far useless. I'm open to any further recommendation or referrals for Lemon Law lawyers in CA. I don't have the time to continue to spend on trying to get my $45,000 car back in operational condition.

The sum total from the dealer service adviser:
"Codes for 2017 Bolt

Poac4
P1e100
U1560
P1aec
P1ae-00
P1af5-00
Jp1bob-00
P1841-00
P1ee6
U1848-00

Waiting for Mr Wheeler @ GM"

·
Registered
862 Posts
Update. 7 days in. No useful information still from Sierra Chevrolet or Chevrolet. The service adviser finally gave me a list of codes. No information of the theories, diagnostic steps, next steps or timing. The long weekend is guaranteed to extend it to 10 days. I've called the GM of Sierra Chevrolet, Mike Hoffman (voicemail and no response). The Chevrolet "customer engagement" people are "very sorry" about the problems, but so far useless. I'm open to any further recommendation or referrals for Lemon Law lawyers in CA. I don't have the time to continue to spend on trying to get my $45,000 car back in operational condition.

The sum total from the dealer service adviser:
"Codes for 2017 Bolt

Poac4
P1e100
U1560
P1aec
P1ae-00
P1af5-00
Jp1bob-00
P1841-00
P1ee6
U1848-00

Waiting for Mr Wheeler @ GM"
http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf
Unfortunately, you have a bit to wait before your Bolt qualifies as a lemon under CA law.
Start documenting in case it takes >30 days in the shop or more than 4 attempts to fix it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moving into day 10. Any recommendations for dealers in the LA area that are Bolt savvy and responsive. Even if this gets resolved, I don't think I will be coming back to Sierra Chevrolet. I found out I have a friend that has Volt and her experience with them has been the same - failure to give status, or return calls, and generally seem unfamiliar with the electrics.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Moving into day 10. Any recommendations for dealers in the LA area that are Bolt savvy and responsive. Even if this gets resolved, I don't think I will be coming back to Sierra Chevrolet. I found out I have a friend that has Volt and her experience with them has been the same - failure to give status, or return calls, and generally seem unfamiliar with the electrics.
Kind of far from you but Rydell in Northridge seems pretty EV savvy, they had a lot of Bolts on the lot when I bought mine as well so I think they sell quite a few of them. I haven't had to use them for service yet though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a call finally from the service manager (after 3 rounds of phone tag just today). The long and short seems to be that they have less than one EV certified tech. It sounds like HQ wouldn't talk to whoever was calling them to help in diagnosis because of lack of certification. I guess Customer Engagement helped get the two talking. Current best guess is something in the "high voltage system", though no more details than that. Lesson learned definitely - never Sierra Chevrolet again for an EV. Right answer would have been on day 1 from them - we don't have the right expertise to do this. Let's send you elsewhere. Ditto from Chevy: let's get you moved to the right place to deal with a weird case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today the guess is the "relay module". They don't have one. They can't yet tell me when they might get one. They don't really seem sure that is it. It was more of a "it might be that". Into the 12th day now. I'd really like to be a happy car owner again, but Chevy is really making that tough.

I realize this may be a real outlier in reliability or problems, but then step up and do something more than offer a rental.

1st lease payment due in less than a week. Customer engagement tells me they can't have any discussions about compensation until after this is resolved. I tried to get the dealership where I purchased the car to help in getting some resolution. That's gone no where. A friend recommended a letter to Mary Barra. That went out today.

I see no chance this gets resolved before the weekend. That'll be my third weekend without the car.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Today the guess is the "relay module". They don't have one. They can't yet tell me when they might get one. They don't really seem sure that is it. It was more of a "it might be that". Into the 12th day now. I'd really like to be a happy car owner again, but Chevy is really making that tough.

I realize this may be a real outlier in reliability or problems, but then step up and do something more than offer a rental.

1st lease payment due in less than a week. Customer engagement tells me they can't have any discussions about compensation until after this is resolved. I tried to get the dealership where I purchased the car to help in getting some resolution. That's gone no where. A friend recommended a letter to Mary Barra. That went out today.

I see no chance this gets resolved before the weekend. That'll be my third weekend without the car.
I feel ya! Being the first model year and pretty much a new drivetrain and electronics from a new supply chain there are always bound to be teething problems. Obviously the car left the factory operational and you had it for a brief moment before it died. I hope they get it fixed soon and it not give you any more issues. Hopefully then, the car will put a smile on your face.... Hang in there! Wer all waiting with you here that is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish I could find references to anything called a "relay module". Guess I'll be asking for a part number tomorrow, so I have some idea what they are actually talking about.

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Now it's the HPCM - that at least relates to a part I can find in references to the Bolt's systems. No date.
HPCM is the acronym for the High Power Control Module, otherwise known as the car's inverter...the controller for the electric motor. Are you sure they didn't say HPDM? That is the High Power Distribution Module, which would make more sense, given your previous posts, as it is basically a box full of relays, sort of a phone switchboard for shunting around huge power.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts