Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that if the outside temperature is within 10ish degrees of the set temperature inside the car, it seems to just pull cold air from outside without heating it at all? Turning up the temperature a degree or two will kick it in the ass and it will start heating, but then of course that's a couple degrees hotter than you want so you get you hot and turn it back down, then it's back to cold air.

For example, temperature in the car is normally set to 22deg (Celsius). On a cold morning, it's 5-10 degrees outside, I precondition the car and it's nice and comfy, and continues to be so on the trip. On the way home it's 10ish degrees outside and while driving I'm getting cold air in the cabin, digital thermometer says it's about the same at the vent as what the car reports for outside temp. Turn up the temp to 23 or 24, and within a minute or two I'm getting warm air. After a while that becomes too hot, so turn it back down to 22, the car overreacts and blows straight cold air at me again.

This is my first car with automatic climate control so I don't know if this is normal. Anyone other Canadians who actually have to use their heat regularly noticing this kind of behavior?

·
Registered
95 Posts
at times I get frustrated with it ... one would think setting to one temp will be - set it and forget it - but the 68 during a hot day feel comfy while at a cold night I have to go to 73 or 74 to feel right ... is it the car or me or both ?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have a look at this, apparently there's a TSB regarding wonky temperature readings.

ok that is weird. I try to post a link to "my_chevy_bolt.com" thread and it keeps getting changed to a chevybolt.org forum address after I post.... Sorry there's some voodoo going on so I can't provide a direct link, but go to the other site then technical discussions, then is HVAC burning you up too. On the 2nd or third page someone posted a screenshot of the TSB.

2nd edit, I can't even enter the domain here, or gets changed to chevybolt.org..... Use the domain listed above but remove the underscores.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
yeah, this is a bit annoying...

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
at times I get frustrated with it ... one would think setting to one temp will be - set it and forget it - but the 68 during a hot day feel comfy while at a cold night I have to go to 73 or 74 to feel right ... is it the car or me or both ?
Well, you have to remember the effect of the rays from the sun are still hitting you right through the glass. They will directly heat you regardless the ambient temperature in the car. You will always need a colder setting on a hot day and a warmer setting on a cold night. The ambient air temp is likely close to the same in both cases, but the addition, or subtraction of the sun accounts for the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts