Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My neighbor who has been in GMC **** for two years with two engines and two transmissions being replaced under warranty on his truck confirms what you are suggesting about being reimbursed for warranty work. He says the dealer wants to combine as much warranty work as possible to partially offset the loss.

My dealer has a notice up stating $200 /hr for repair service. Can you imagine with a highly intermittent problem charging the car how many troubleshooting hours the dealer may rack up? And they want my credit card on file before commencing work, just in case GM doesn't reimburse...... No. Way.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I may be wrong but I don't think they are compensated as much for warranty as they are billing the customer. I also have a feeling that some dealers may double dip if they can convince an owner to pay out of pocket and then they still file a warranty claim. My only evidence on this is a dealer tried to charge me for a software update in my Volt that was clearly spelled out in the TSB to use the Voltec warranty. I knew this going in and they tried to bill me then claimed ignorance and said they would cover it anyway. FFS anyway, it is under warranty!

Same dealer quoted a relative well over $1,500 to do a full brake job on an early 2000's Tahoe. There is maybe $400 in parts even with new rotors and no more than 2 hours labor tops.
Hadn't thought of the double-dip, but I do know manufacturers don't pay the retail rate for work.

This is one of those things that is completely avoided if manufacturers sold direct. No 3rd party trying to scam the customer and the manufacturer at the same time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As someone that does perform warranty repairs, the dates are what's importante. The date at which the customer brought the product in for repair, the purchase date and the date at which the tech started the work. I can file in a warranty claim 6 months after the final repair if I wanted to it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
ISSUE RESOLVED?... with an interesting twist

Well I met with the service manager yesterday face to face for the first time, armed with warranty paperwork and ready to do battle. In person the tone was the opposite of the disappointing email I had received preparing me for a possible out-of-pocket expense. Received a warm welcome and lots of attention. I had come in only to talk, did not have an appointment, but the manager introduced me to his lead EV tech (who was not the one who had worked on the car so far), and the tech offered to have a quick look to try and pull any error codes that had not been discovered so far (according to the lead tech you "have to know where to look", as individual components may store a log. No mention of out-of-pocket for this service.

I left the car, and 2.5 hours later the tech reported all was well. I did not mention it earlier due to it being seemingly superfluous, but sometime back the car had thrown a trouble code for the one of the three cooling pumps; the main "motor and battery coolant pump". The part had been on back order for weeks. But apparently the pump had just come in, and the tech popped it in. His final analysis is that charging was failing when the pump intermittently threw the code, as a safety valve to prevent the battery from overheating.

Hmmm. Furthermore, he explained fast charging had never failed because the pump is put into a different mode during fast charging, and that mode did not throw a code. Well, that's their story, and they're stickin' to it. But thankfully the tech had finally been able to reproduce the "Unable to charge" error, and after the repair it cleared. When the car was plugged in last night it charged fine. If the error does not recur over the next couple of weeks then I will consider this issue put to bed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So it was all covered under warranty at no cost?
Correct. They did tell me that they assigned at least a part of the repair (which was troubleshooting the Unable to Charge error plus the pump replacement) to the VOLTEC warranty, both of which were reported/discovered while in the B2B warranty period. I had to look that term up. The voltec warranty is their parlance for the 8-year warranty on the powertrain.

From my particular dealer's perspective, getting GM to pay for repairs that were reported before the B2B period expired, but completed after the B2B expires is not an open and shut case. There seems to be a bit of dance that takes place between the dealer and GM to obtain full payment in that event. Which may explain my dealer's initial admonishment that payment may come out of my pocket. They then maybe realized that it was a least path of resistance to iterate through the process of obtaining payment from GM as opposed to extracting $$ from a customer that was showing signs of pushing back on the charges. That was my take anyway.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you bought it new the original price paid does not matter. A trade repurchase goes strictly off the MSRP. It literally takes 20-30 minutes to call the EV concierge and open a case. You want to ask for a trade repurchase. Then find a new dealer. They can offer some assistance with that. It is by far in your best interest to do this now.
I took your advice and am exploring the buy back option, even though the charging problem may be cured. Question for anyone who has completed a buy back and repurchase; did they ding you in any way for the current mileage of the car you were turning in?

---
btw - In the battery replacement world, my dealer had just received nine batteries. The service manager claimed they were able to swap in two per day. He used to work at a large dealership in the South Bay (San Francisco Bay Area), and that dealer recently got 87 batteries in.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,856 Posts
I took your advice and am exploring the buy back option, even though the charging problem may be cured. Question for anyone who has completed a buy back and repurchase; did they ding you in any way for the current mileage of the car you were turning in?

---
btw - In the battery replacement world, my dealer had just received nine batteries. The service manager claimed they were able to swap in two per day. He used to work at a large dealership in the South Bay (San Francisco Bay Area), and that dealer recently got 87 batteries in.
Yes, in CA, there was a mileage deduction. IIRC, they took the odo reading, and divided it by 120,000. The result was the deduction (as a %) from what was paid for the vehicle, which was not necessarily the MSRP.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Yes, in CA, there was a mileage deduction. IIRC, they took the odo reading, and divided it by 120,000. The result was the deduction (as a %) from what was paid for the vehicle, which was not necessarily the MSRP.
Very helpful Greg.

So let's see... If I paid 25K for the car, and it has 40K miles on it at time of buy back, that equates to a deduction of $7500.00

40,000 / 120,000 = .3 (or 30%)

$25,000 * .3 = $7500.00

21 - 30 of 30 Posts