Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy has a great perspective on the auto industry, particularly the lower end used market. I enjoy his videos because he seems so honest about it, and keeps his own lot location secret so he can be more honest about the business in general.
But anyway, this whole video is interesting, but the money shot is @ 11:15.
How can they possibly auction off a new one while everyone wants 10 of them yesterday?

· Registered
72 Posts
This guy has a great perspective on the auto industry, particularly the lower end used market. I enjoy his videos because he seems so honest about it, and keeps his own lot location secret so he can be more honest about the business in general.
But anyway, this whole video is interesting, but the money shot is @ 11:15.
How can they possibly auction off a new one while everyone wants 10 of them yesterday?
Interesting, I wonder if its a smaller dealer that doesn't sell a lot of cars? Or maybe dealer just wants there to be a bidding war?

· Registered
81 Posts
whats interesting about that is I had experience with used cars over the last few months, before finalizing my Bolt new order, and NO ONE woulld negotiate off of their pricing. Then two weeks later, they'd lower the price without telling me, and eventually the price would end up well below what I offered. It is really wierd, like that guy was saying.

· Registered
185 Posts
I live in NV and would never buy a black car! Not a surprise to me they can't sell it!
Heck, I live in CO. I would never own or buy a black vehicle.

You can spend all morning washing & waxing it. 5 Minutes later, its dirty.

Just as bad, it's hotter than a firecracker on the 4th, in the summer. No, no, no,

I had an opportunity on an incredible deal on a 2006, 3500HD, LS trim, LBZ Duramax, less than 100K miles, 4 door, long bed. Friend only wanted $14K for it 2 years ago. . . . it was black. No way did I want a black vehicle.

· Registered
4,434 Posts
It isn’t an auction open to public, only other dealers.
For true; not an "auction" in the way most here think of it.

Same but different, I recently bought a used Audi. Checking Carfax, the first transaction showed as it being sold at auction in New York. The actual is when new shipment of Audis lands, those without a firm order are put on the Audi internal website and dealers can ask for them. Not really an auction, but that's all Carfax knows to call it.

jack vines

· Registered
81 Posts
mmmm to each their own. I had a 2021 grey Suburban, for the lemon trade in I opted for a black diesel. Love it in black. Went with black for the EUV. I actualy think it looks better dirty than the grey and white cars I had/have, when they are a bit dirty. but I'm in the PNW. In the desert I might opt for white.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
mmmm to each their own. I had a 2021 grey Suburban, for the lemon trade in I opeted for a black diesel. Love it in black. Went with black for the EUV. I actualy think it looks better dirty than the grey and white cars I had/have, when they are a bit dirty. but I'm in the PNW. In the desert I might opt for white.
I owned one Black car. I bought a new 1977 Z-28 without A/C in MI. First and Last time for Black (n)

The 2017 Bolt was White and the 2023 is also White (y)
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier: sold back to GM Jan ‘23
2,677 Posts
Silver or white are best for looking clean when dirty.
Yep, silver is my go-to color first choice. For not looking dirty, and not showing any minor damage.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Was that a camping trip or new home lot awaiting construction.
We live on 20 acres and are building the house. Currently living in our new 37ft. 5th wheel (y)
It has 3 slide-out's, so it has some good space :cool: Were also 100% off grid and plan
to stay off grid. It's also on a private well. I only have one neighbor next to me and
you can see how far away his place is. Been planning this for 7 years.
Retired summer of 2021.
Have a 12K solar system for charging the car and running the house with 36kW of battery
backup power. Planning to add more after the house is done. (y)

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Looks like the Island of Misfit Toys!

On my drive home today, I went past the same local GMC Dealer I've been driving past the last two years. Their lot had been barren all this time, with only vehicles parked on their Used side. Today, I was shocked to see it flush with brand new trucks all lined up along the front, facing the road (seemingly overnight)!

So I think what might be happening (now) is ... since Dealers can apparently start bringing in brand new Inventory, it's time to start getting rid of all the "placeholder" vehicles they were bringing in to artificially fill up their lots. If it's used, and it doesn't fit their typical Used Car profile ... it goes to Auction to free up that space for more new vehicles from the Manufacturer.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like the Island of Misfit Toys!

On my drive home today, I went past the same local GMC Dealer I've been driving past the last two years. Their lot had been barren all this time, with only vehicles parked on their Used side. Today, I was shocked to see it flush with brand new trucks all lined up along the front, facing the road (seemingly overnight)!

So I think what might be happening (now) is ... since Dealers can apparently start bringing in brand new Inventory, it's time to start getting rid of all the "placeholder" vehicles they were bringing in to artificially fill up their lots. If it's used, and it doesn't fit their typical Used Car profile ... it goes to Auction to free up that space for more new vehicles from the Manufacturer.
Brand new. Never registered.

· Registered
Ordered 23 EUV Prem RedLine, 19 Audi Q7, 08 Mustang GT Vert.
220 Posts
The dealer i ordered my Bolt from has only a level 2 plug in but it was still >=$1k for them to have it installed and buy a EVSE. If that dealer doesnt want to outlay the money to support selling EVs it cheaper to put it to auction. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts