Not sure the laws in VA but from first hand experience, CA dealers will sell to anyone and anywhere. Just need to arrange shipping on your own as the "wheel cannot touch the ground" in CA. It must go from their inventory to your shipper for a $80 charge.
I had a surprise when I arrived at my MD dealership (after a 7 hour drive) to get my 2017 Bolt. I was told that "GM" would not allow them to "title" the vehicle in WV, where I live/work. They could "sell" it, but not "title" it. They could title the Bolt in MD, PA, or VA, but not in WV or Wash. DC. Fortunately, I also have a part-time residence in MD. I had to title it in MD, but not purchase the permanent plates. When the paperwork arrives, I will transfer the title to WV (as per WV law) where I will be driving it the majority of the time. Then I also purchase the WV tag. This MAY be similar to (or the same) dilemma with which you were faced.
I would be careful registering the Bolt in one state and then transferring over to your permanent state. Here in Colorado, this would make the $5,00 tax credit "null and void" as it's a used car and not the original titling. You guys may not have Tax incentives on EV cars?
If the dealership said Chevy wasn't allowing them to sell the Bolts during a certain time, then they may be following the Bolt roll-out schedule from Chevy. Can't recall where it was posted on the forum.
Don't expect everyone at a car dealership to know what they are talking about. The dealership I got my Bolt from had 6 in stock. They quoted me a price via text and email. A couple days later I showed up, test drove and did the paperwork.
I called or stopped by several Chevy dealerships to check availability and pricing. The answers I got ran the gamut from attempting to be helpful to down right ignorant.
My favorite was,
Me: "Hi, I'd like to price and order a Chevy Bolt"
Salesman: "We don't sell those"
Me: "First time I ever walked into a car dealership and been told I can't buy a car"
Salesman: "Let me get my manager"
Manager: "We can't get you one, they don't exist yet, lets take your info and see what we can do"
A month later....not a peep from them
Second Favorite, via phone
"We can't get those yet, they are not in production" 5 minutes later the phone rings "sorry, we can get them eventually but they are not available in CT yet"
And lastly, A last minute mental crisis has me thinking I wanted a Wrangler so the day before I went to drive (and ultimately buy) the bolt I stopped at a Jeep dealer. Explained to the salesman that I was going to make a decision and purchase a vehicle tomorrow. Email or text me your best price in the morning. The next morning nothing, I called the dealership he was not at work. I did the Bolt thing. Three days later he calls me and says he doesn't feel comfortable emailing a quote and I should come in person to speak with the sales manager.
My reply: The bad news is that I bought a car two days ago like I explained, the good news is that Jeeps sell themselves.