Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get a Bolt one of the 1st things I'll want to do is thank the wife by getting her the puppy she wants0:). The Breeder is 600 miles away so a 1200mi round trip would be required.

What has been your experiences charging your Bolt at "foreign" Chevy dealerships? Were they receptive and open? Did they have DCFC available outside? What about after the service dept is closed? Were you charged ($ not electrons)?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I actually wasn't aware that you could just pop up at a dealership and utilize they're chargers or anything. Interested to hear peoples experience with this.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You can make a weekend trip out of this and take your time getting the puppy. Not sure how it'll fare on the long ride back with around 3 charging stops. Interested to read about your journey afterwards.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If I get a Bolt one of the 1st things I'll want to do is thank the wife by getting her the puppy she wants0:). The Breeder is 600 miles away so a 1200mi round trip would be required.

What has been your experiences charging your Bolt at "foreign" Chevy dealerships? Were they receptive and open? Did they have DCFC available outside? What about after the service dept is closed? Were you charged ($ not electrons)?
The California BA dealerships I visited when shopping did not have CCS charging stations, just L2, so a proper fill-up would be pretty tedious, especially since they are usually in enormous car shopping malls, and there is nothing to do besides shop for cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In Canada, if you go to the manufacturer that made your car (i.e. Chevy/GM/Buick) they are OK with you stopping in for charging. Some other dealers like BMW are a little pickier on who can use them and they are generally located inside the dealer showroom so harder to access. Some are more receptive to you using their chargers if you call ahead and ask if it's ok to stop by and charge, and they don't charge you for using their charger. Again, this is Canada, in the US not sure what the policy/procedure is for them.

Although if they have DCFC now than that does suggest that chevy vehicles are good to charge there. Otherwise, why put in the infrastructure for a DCFC if it's going to sit there looking pretty and not be used.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Although if they have DCFC now than that does suggest that chevy vehicles are good to charge there. Otherwise, why put in the infrastructure for a DCFC if it's going to sit there looking pretty and not be used.
It's required by Chevy to sell/service the Bolt.

I think most will be in the service area. If they do make it available for general use, customer cars being serviced or prepped for delivery will obviously have priority. Not likely to be available at all outside of normal business hours.

Chevy has no requirement on it's availability - it was never meant to be a charging network for road trips. It is my understanding that they are 24 kW units and that means it is approaching the drive for an hour charge for an hour scenario (taking into account leaving your route to get to the dealership, arranging to charge, getting connected, returning to your route, etc). Possible to road trip that way? Yes. Practical? Not in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Asking for people's experiences might be misleading since different dealers may have different policies. I wouldn't put much weight on any responses that don't relate to the specific dealers you may actually stop at.

The first resource to check is the comments in PlugShare. If the dealer doesn't have a charging station listed in PlugShare or if there isn't enough information there to make you feel comfortable, then the obvious thing to do is to call or e-mail the dealers you think you could potentially use and find out the answers to these questions. Make sure you find out how much power the chargers can deliver since there can be a big difference in charge times between a 24A and 50A DC fast charger.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My plan was to contact various dealers along the route but as I started it quickly became obvious that that that was not the greatest idea. There are not many along the route within a few miles of the highway.

I went on Plugshare, nice app btw, and found a very large hole in the CCS grid. There is nothing along the PA Turnpike from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh. Someone is missing the boat on this highly used highway. I would have thought that there would be chargers at the Rest Plazas but that doesn't seem to be the case. One can hope that someday it will be filled.

If I make the trip I have to decide if 220 miles from my house to the 1st charge is worth the risk, or reroute for a slightly longer trip and drop down to Maryland and use the I-70 Corridor instead. Going through Maryland splits the 220 hole into 105 and 150 mile segments. The rest of the trip would be do-able with 100-175 mile legs. Eight charge stops total.

·
Registered
95 Posts
first trip stop could be 220 miles if you don't race and keep your speed under 70 with no heat - the rest of the segments should be shorter as DC fast works best with an empty battery charged up to 60-70%

it'll probably will take you 1hr to get to 80% and an other hr to get to 100% (from "empty")

are you planning to do this in 1 day or stay there overnight?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before I do the trip I want to have soem mile on the car first to get a feel for how I drive and the range I can expect. It would be then that I decide which route to take. When we last made the trip in an ICE it was a very long day trip. With the added time for charging we'll need to make it an overnight there pick up the puppy and return home the next morning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not all Chevy dealers will have chargers either. There is one that's only 10 miles from my families home in Virginia, however there are no available chargers within 40 miles and no charger at the Chevy dealer (they don't sell the Volt or Bolt since they don't feel they'll sell in their area).

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Chevy dealer installed a DCFC in the showroom? What the blarg for? To show customers "This is what a DCFC looks like."? How useless.

The dealer I bought from has theirs outside, under cover of the showroom portico, but easy to get to, as I recall. They told me it's publicly available. Whether after hours, I don't know. Folsom Auto Mall.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The Chevy dealer installed a DCFC in the showroom? What the blarg for?
A few of the dealers I've visited have the DCFC in their "delivery bay", a neat and tidy area meant for final delivery of the vehicle to the customer. Not exactly the showroom, and not part of the service area either, but also not really available to the public.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Slightly on topic,the local BMW dealer has theirs (2) right at the entrance with 2 spots designated for charging.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just took a quick look because the Pittsburgh Harrisburg corridor is one way I go East. I don’t think you’d have any issue if you used Hagerstown and went via 68-79 to Canonsburg in Washington PA area, even though it’s a few miles off 70. Mileage is a little longer, but not a toll road. Columbus or Akron OH are easy hops from there.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Just another data point on DCFC at dealerships... the dealership I purchased my Bolt EV from didn't have a DCFC at all, and did not have a functional L2 charger! They had purchased a 30 amp L2 charger, and then wired it to the same panel (probably the same breaker) that powered their old 15 amp L2 charger and when it kept tripping the panel breaker they just disabled it rather than having a competent electrician re-do the panel. I had to have them drop off my Bolt EV on a trailer since they had run the battery down with climate control (left it on until it auto shut down rather than hitting the power button) several times during the winter lowering the battery to around 40% and they did not have anything better than 110V (probably 8 amp) to charge it with.

Keith

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Slightly on topic,the local BMW dealer has theirs (2) right at the entrance with 2 spots designated for charging.
I occasionally visit one myself (in BMW Tacoma) and it's conveniently located outside in general parking area and within sight of their main lobby where they have treats and bathrooms. Very nice setup for a quick 30min top-up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts