Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Bolters,

Is anyone else being pushed into adding vehicle undercoating by their dealership?

It is a whole package that includes rust inhibitor spray, paint protection, fabric protection, and platinum undercoat "sound" shield.

I feel like they are simply trying to take more money from me. What do you think???

cheers,

dave

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It used to be that if you did undercoating with GM vehicles it would void the warranty with the corrosion of sheet metal... I think they took those words out of their manuals because dealerships would lose profit if they couldn't undercoat. GM applies some type of undercoating to all vehicles I believe. I wouldn't undercoat or do anything from a dealership... Save the money and just get your car detailed once a year with someone who does a good job and uses good products.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Forget it. Typical dealer attempt to make a reasonable gross profit on new vehicles ever since mfrs cut their discounts to almost nothing: slop & goop, extended warranties, admin fees, tire warranty, theft protection, regional fees, etc all nonsense.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
GM doesn't even recommend it

GM vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against corrosion for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Plus you’re protected even further from rust-through corrosion for a minimum of 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your GM dealer for terms of this limited warranty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always refuse any undercoating and haven’t had any issues with corrosion.
It’s funny how every salesmen will say anything to get you to believe that every single car on their lot is the best in its class and has scaled mount superiority. But as soon as you get to signing the papers to buy, suddenly they’ll claim the car can’t hold itself and will corrode unless you get some undercoating done. Some of them even use scare tactics, don’t fall for it.
I live very near Toronto and have had many cars and I’ve never had any of them treated with undercoating; I’ve never had issues with corrosion. Cars today are made better from the factory.

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I bought my Bolt EV, the dealer told me that paint is not as good today as it used to be, low profile tires are more prone to puncture, and a bunch of other...... It was a really bad experience sitting their trying to be polite listening to all the rubbish being spewed in my direction. I felt proud of my self as I walked out of there having refused all that junk. They would have me add thousands of dollars to the price of the car with all sorts of stuff including extra warranties, and so on....

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Ahhhhh... the return of Rusty Jones!

Biggest dealership scam ever.... in the words of Doc Brown "Just say no!" :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts