Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
btw - my iMieve came with a 110v EVSE. I sent that out to a company called EVSEupgrade - which is no longer around - to have it changed to have a 220 plug put on the end. It was also changed to be programmable (very manually) from 6-13 amps on the the 110v and 9-13amps (I think) on 220v. The EVSE didn't care what you plugged it into. I bought an adapter that allowed me to plug into a normal 3 prong 110v outlet, but the EVSEupgrade changed the plug end on the brick to a NEMA L6 style.
If I am reading the sites correctly, it looks like the Bolt comes stock with just the 110v EVSE. Can that be adapted to be used with 220v?
The Bolt EV's EVSE will run on 240 V power, but you will need an adapter. All of the adapters I've seen are sold out, but someone here might know where they are still available (or have links to making your own). The plug is a NEMA 5-15, so you will be limited to 12 A at 240 V, which is significantly slower than the Bolt EV's max AC charging rate of 32 A at 240 V.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a 20 amp 220 plug outside my house that I charged my iMiev on at 11 amps all the time - it was fine. That is the most I have at my house right now, so I should be fine... I can make an adapter easy peasy. But I didn't want to crack open the EVSE and have to rewire anything....

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is "standard" in the sense that in 2 months of searching online back in Dec/Jan between Florida and Md.,I didn't see a single Bolt without the fast charge option. There may be one out there somewhere though. If you're shopping online,nearly every Chevy dealer has a small icon in the listing that shows the window sticker and the DCFC is listed there.
Was searching just last week myself and ran across a Boston dealer (Quirk) who had nine Bolts without DCFC! If this dealer ordered these units like this (and they weren't simply "allotted"), then it would seem to say that he thinks his customers are primarily looking for a commuter car to run in and out of the city.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anyone see anything wrong with this deal? I will obviously try and get them to come down some - but 25k miles on a 2017 LT - I verified today that it DOES have the quick charge option installed. This was a fleet vehicle so I don't anticipate ANY other bells and whistles on it.
Thanks
https://www.carmax.com/car/18716120

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone see anything wrong with this deal? I will obviously try and get them to come down some - but 25k miles on a 2017 LT - I verified today that it DOES have the quick charge option installed. This was a fleet vehicle so I don't anticipate ANY other bells and whistles on it.
Thanks
https://www.carmax.com/car/18716120
I haven't bought a used vehicle since my college days, but I guess what I would do is get a range/number from kbb.com then make an offer undercutting the low end of that range by about $1500 and negotiate upward from there, hoping I got a bite sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was thinking more along the lines as, does this seem like a decent model. The LT being the base and the fact that the car used to be a fleet car - I would figure that if heated seats were optional, they wouldn't have it....
Then again, they did opt for the quick charge option.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 20 amp 220 plug outside my house that I charged my iMiev on at 11 amps all the time - it was fine. That is the most I have at my house right now, so I should be fine... I can make an adapter easy peasy. But I didn't want to crack open the EVSE and have to rewire anything....
do you know what type of outlet it is you have? Nema -?

if it's a 6-15 or 6-20 with a t-slot, you're in luck...for $7
look up
BloomGrow 110V / 120V to 220V / 240V Plug Adapter for US (1 PC)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines as, does this seem like a decent model. The LT being the base and the fact that the car used to be a fleet car - I would figure that if heated seats were optional, they wouldn't have it....
Then again, they did opt for the quick charge option.
I forget which is which now, but there were several comfort, safety, and convenience packages, and two were for the LT. I believe that one had heated seats and steering wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
well, i've also ran accross the Kia Niro... same range, slightly smaller cargo area - but more of a flat floor design = easy loading of bigger items - such as my drums....

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
well, i've also ran accross the Kia Niro... same range, slightly smaller cargo area - but more of a flat floor design = easy loading of bigger items - such as my drums....
The KIA Niro EV is another good option, though comparing to the Bolt EV, the storage felt much more limited. The Bolt EV is more similar in configuration to your i-MiEV in that it is taller and narrower. The Niro EV is shorter and wider. Essentially, it just comes down to what specifically you're trying to fit. The biggest issues with the Niro EV are that they are expensive and hard to find. The good thing is, if you qualify for the full Federal Tax Credit, the $7,500 will mostly offset the difference in price... mostly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The cases for my drums are lots of various sizes. But the biggest and heaviest is the trap case with all of the long straight hardware. It is about 50" long and about 14" x 104" and close to 100 lbs. I have two other smaller hardware bags that I am considering consolidating into another case of the same size. That usually needs to go flat on the floor. It didn't look like the bolt would accomodate that size very well. There would need to be smaller drums down in the recessed floor, and then a heavy case would need to be put on top of them.... the 50 cubic feet in the iMiev was great - till I added the second kick drum - and the kit continues to grow!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
You can add a false floor option to the LT if desired. It basically makes the cargo area level with the back seats when folded down. And adds a hidden storage area below it.
The Premier comes standard with this configuration. Retail price at chevy is $170 i think for this floor, but i have seen it for $130 at GM parts discount websites. It is supposed to be easy to install yourself with the punchouts in the side of the cargo area.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is lots of leg room/floor room behind the front seats on the floor in the Bolt. You might fit your hardware bags there if they arent too big. You'll see when you get to inspect it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
thanks
so when they give the number of 56 cu ft cargo area with the seats down - does that include the area under the false floor? I thought that it would. IF it was not included - and it was that flat area, then it seems that it would have even more than 56 cubic feet. Oh, and those trap cases have wheels on one end of the 50+" long bag. Are those seat backs solid? I would probably have to get a weather tech or some other kind of protector to keep the wheels from tearing up the seat backs. Chevy needs to make a panel delivery that is basically a bolt underneath!!!

·
Registered
5,017 Posts

21 - 38 of 38 Posts