Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how firm you guys are about getting a Bolt as opposed to other future EVs like the Tesla Model 3, the next-generation Nissan Leaf, or a longer-range VW e-Golf? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Firm? Not a clue.

I plan to test drive an EV for the first time this weekend; will try out both the Leaf and the i3 (both available locally).

Earliest I would be looking at a Bolt would be spring 2017 (assuming they start selling October '16). Though I may keep an eye out on used BMW i3 instead. The range isn't a problem for me, and I like the style of the i3 over the Bolt, and I prefer its rear cargo space.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I test drove a Kia Soul EV. Really liked it. Honestly, until the Bolt was officially announced, it was one of the longest-range EVs other than the Tesla Model S. But its range was still slightly below my comfort level.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not going to consider VW. No trust there.

I'll compare the Leaf and the Bolt. If I like one I'll get it, but if I'm unsure i might try to wait to see the Model 3.

·
Registered
492 Posts
2017 VW eGolf is not out and the dealers didn't seem to know when. At the SF Car show, they only had the 2016 eGolf. It has about 80 miles range and the 2017 is supposed to have 50% more or about 120. That seems short compare the the Bolt. The Bolt definitely has more passenger space in the back seat. I was thinking about the Golf as a replacement for my totaled Jetta, but Bolt seems to have much better technology.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't have to turn in my leased 2013 Leaf SV until the end of May 2017, but I'm worried about the Federal tax credit ending, so I'm looking at options now. (Now that it looks like GM will keep most of the $7500 credit on the Bolt, or apply most of it to lowering the residual, I'm less interested in leasing a Bolt.) I have to keep leasing because I'm retired, and the tax credit discriminates against those with low taxable incomes, making it impossible to use it when buying an EV. I also absolutely need a heated steering wheel, and also need either a 4 camera parking system or at least a sonar-type system like the Ioniq will offer, and these requirements really narrow down the field. If it looks like the federal credit will end before the Bolt reaches New York, then I'll probably lease another Leaf SV, or maybe an Ioniq EV if they arrive here in time. Frankly I'm very disappointed in how things are working out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't where GM is going to use up the EV tax credits before the car reaches NY. It's has about 100,000 left.

Michael

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm concerned that the Trump Administration will end the program, not that GM will use it up before I lease a Bolt.
IRS codes would need to be changed by Congress to eliminate the credit. Trump could push for it, but I don't believe it will be his highest priority (or that Republican Congressmen are 100% on board with Trumps agenda - some would like to get re-elected).

·
Registered
172 Posts
IRS codes would need to be changed by Congress to eliminate the credit. Trump could push for it, but I don't believe it will be his highest priority (or that Republican Congressmen are 100% on board with Trumps agenda - some would like to get re-elected).
Two counterpoints: First, there is no reason to think this would have to be a high priority. It could simply be an item on a list that gets rubber stamped by the Republican-controlled Congress. It's not a question of 'First up or not at all'.

Second: most Republican congresspeople come from majority-Republican districts, and in those districts voting to kill the EV tax credit (look for a catchy title like "Ending the Prius Tax") would help them in their reelection efforts, not hurt them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes and Yes

We will replace the Fit EV with a Bolt in July. Only question is LT or LZ. Also "Yes" to a Model 3. It will be replacing our C-Max Energi whenever it finally arrives. Not impressed by Nissan's battery technology, eGolf looks to under-perform against the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Really depends on what you need in the Bolt. LT has optional comfort package and Premier gets the optional infotainment package. A great place to start is their brochure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Two counterpoints: First, there is no reason to think this would have to be a high priority. It could simply be an item on a list that gets rubber stamped by the Republican-controlled Congress. It's not a question of 'First up or not at all'.

Second: most Republican congresspeople come from majority-Republican districts, and in those districts voting to kill the EV tax credit (look for a catchy title like "Ending the Prius Tax") would help them in their reelection efforts, not hurt them.
So this is like the third time you've brought the subject up about Trump ending the tax credit, but in another post you say your income level won't allow to use the $7,500 tax credit anyway, so what is your beef about Trump. During his campaign Trump never once brought the subject up. The Bush administration enacted the law under the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Last time I checked Bush was a Republican, and the 109th Congress was held by the Republican Party in both the House and Senate. The tax credit was developed an incentive for automakers to develop and sell EVs; it was not meant to be an everlasting incentive for citizens to buy EVs. The 110th congress was held by the Democrats, but there is no evidence that the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and particularly the EV tax credit were the cause of the flip to democrat control.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So this is like the third time you've brought the subject up about Trump ending the tax credit, but in another post you say your income level won't allow to use the $7,500 tax credit anyway, so what is your beef about Trump.
I can use the tax credit for leasing, as you will learn, eventually. My beefs about Trump would take up more space than I have here. Let's just say that I hope he's lied as much to his supporters as it's beginning to appear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can use the tax credit for leasing, as you will learn, eventually. My beefs about Trump would take up more space than I have here. Let's just say that I hope he's lied as much to his supporters as it's beginning to appear.

Nope. Leasing company gets tax credit. They may apply at their discretion none, some, or all of it as a CCR.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nope. Leasing company gets tax credit. They may apply at their discretion none, some, or all of it as a CCR.
Nissan applies 100% of the tax credit to the lease down payment, thus substantially reducing the monthly payment. GM will be applying about $2500 to the front end of the lease, and the rest to the residual, also reducing the payments. Thus the Federal tax credit is critical for most low-taxable-income prospective EV drivers to get a new EV. If you want to get into a usenet-style argument about definitions, I'm sure that someone will oblige you. That's it, though, for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Brochure won't load

Really depends on what you need in the Bolt. LT has optional comfort package and Premier gets the optional infotainment package. A great place to start is their brochure.
I can't get the brochure to load. It's one more in a series of website blunders on a site that has done less than desirable to inspire confidence.

That said, I'm still totally excited about getting my Bolt (hoping for an early Xmas present to myself.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nissan applies 100% of the tax credit to the lease down payment, thus substantially reducing the monthly payment. GM will be applying about $2500 to the front end of the lease, and the rest to the residual, also reducing the payments. Thus the Federal tax credit is critical for most low-taxable-income prospective EV drivers to get a new EV. If you want to get into a usenet-style argument about definitions, I'm sure that someone will oblige you. That's it, though, for me.
Usenet? What year is this?:eek:

I don't see anything on the Chevy site showing they are applying any money to the "front end of the lease". They may be using some or all of it to inflate the residual to lower payments.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Usenet? What year is this?:eek:
Exactly. As for what GM is doing with the tax credit, if they take $7500 and then give a $2500 lease incentive as multiple sources indicate, then they are applying $2500 of the credit to the lease down payment. I'm not really clear on how the residual inflation works, and how it lowers the payments.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts