Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT bought new 11/13/20
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've seen all the posts about disabling auto defog to allow the vent fan to run and not have to take a range hit. What I'd like to know, is there a way to run the windshield defrost fan without heat or A/C coming on? Cars used to have separate controls for this stuff, I think we've made them too smart for their britches.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
43 Posts
In your 2020, you can select "ON" without selecting "Heat" or "A/C". Select the windshield/defog vent button. (Make sure to not select the Max Defrost button, it will fire up heat and A/C for maximum defrosting.) You can adjust the fan speed to your liking. Without Heat or A/C selected, the temperature selection knob does nothing. Don't press Auto, it will take control and do whatever it deems necessary to reach your selected temperature.

I run mine "On" without Heat or A/C selected all of the time for a little air movement

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Not sure about running just the windshield vents without heat or cooling, but both windshield and dashboard vents with heat/AC turned off will allow just the fan to run. It works for defrosting minor conditions.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Even if heat/ac is off, if you only have the defog botton selected, it will turn on heat/ac automatically. To prevent this, you have to engage either the floor or chest level vents at the same time as the defogger.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT bought new 11/13/20
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if heat/ac is off, if you only have the defog bottom selected, it will turn on heat/ac automatically. To prevent this, you have to engage either the floor or chest level vents at the same time as the defogger.
Thank you for revealing the secret. But does anybody besides me think this is kinda dumb? I'm trying to defog the windshield while preserving my battery in cold weather - I don't want cold air going to my face or feet. Sorry, minor issue, but still...
Thanks again.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I only used steering wheel and seat heat...did defrost with a hand held mini heater powered by an external portable lithium pack (hundreds of models on Amazon). Turned it on to clear the windshield, and then off for a while. Worked in a dry 20 degree temp.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,175 Posts
Okay, I've seen all the posts about disabling auto defog to allow the vent fan to run and not have to take a range hit. What I'd like to know, is there a way to run the windshield defrost fan without heat or A/C coming on? Cars used to have separate controls for this stuff, I think we've made them too smart for their britches.
I love seeing these posts (as I was one last year) popping up as we enter winter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Even if heat/ac is off, if you only have the defog botton selected, it will turn on heat/ac automatically. To prevent this, you have to engage either the floor or chest level vents at the same time as the defogger.

Exactly! The AC compressor may kick for 5s or less, but after that, just fresh air...

Gadget Personal luxury car Audio equipment Multimedia Electronic device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts