Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2019 Bolt Premier and love it! However, I'm having charging issues. I select departure charging at off peak rates between 10 pm and 6 am, plug the car into my Level-2 charger and the screen says "unable to charge". If I unplug it and immediately plug it back in, it begins charging immediately, i.e., it overrides the departure charging selection. So I'm forced to wait and plug it in after 10 pm, to manually force it to charge at off peak rates. I have set both the main charge screen on the dash and the My Chevy remote app to departure charging, yet it will not work. My expectation is that I should be able to return home, say at 3 pm, plug it in, and expect it to wait to charge it until 10 pm, but no such luck. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
What Level-2 charger are you using? I've heard of people having problems similar to yours with the Siemens VersiCharge unit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think that departure charging requires that location based charging to be on (and the home location set) AND requires your electricity peak/mid-peak/off-peak times to be set AND requires the charging rate preference set to allow charging within the available time AND the departure time is set such that there is actually time to charge. Also make sure the system time and date is correct (it's probably on automatic time sync, but worth verifying).

My guess would be that you've told it to charge in off-peak only, but haven't defined the off-peak times.

For reference:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I just double checked all those settings and they are correct. I just plugged it in and the screen said “Delayed Charging”, but after 5 sec, I got the “Unable to Charge” message.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It sure presents like a delayed charging settings problem since it'll charge if you override the delayed charging. Maybe you could try 'undoing' the delayed charging settings one by one to see if you can isolate the problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried doing that with the same result -- I now suspect that it's a communication issue between the charger and the Bolt. It's probably because I chose a $199 level-2 charger from Amazon, rather than pay Chevy $599 for theirs............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You solved the problem! The Level-1 charger works for delayed charging with no error message, so I guess it is in fact a commo problem with my charger. Oh well, I can live with simply plugging it in after 10 pm. Thanks again!

·
Registered
317 Posts
You might try simple time of departure charging. This gets rid of all of the time of use/rate stuff. Departure charging only requires you set your home location and the time you want to "depart." In this case "depart" is when your reduced rate ends. It will figure out when it needs to start to charge. This MAY work. If it doesn't you will have to plug in at 10pm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might try simple time of departure charging. This gets rid of all of the time of use/rate stuff. Departure charging only requires you set your home location and the time you want to "depart." In this case "depart" is when your reduced rate ends. It will figure out when it needs to start to charge. This MAY work. If it doesn't you will have to plug in at 10pm.
Thanks, but I think I have isolated the problem as an issue with the charger not being 100% compatible with the Bolt, regarding communication between the charger and the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's probably similar to the communication issue with the Siemens unit I mentioned earlier. At least with the Versicharger you can program a delayed charge on the EVSE unit- 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours. I've used the delay successfully many times with my Bolt. I've never tried time of departure charging. I suspect I would get the same message you got.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I set my Juice Box to charge only during off-peak hours, rather than using any of the car's own scheduling features. If the car is plugged in during peak hours, it says "Unable to charge", and when we cross into off-peak hours it begins charging. So I think you're right, the car wants to charge, but the BougeRV EVSE is not providing current because it has a bug.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My charger cannot be set — there are no controls. I’ll try plugging it in tonight after 10 pm to see if it begins charging without unplugging and plugging back in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, but I think I have isolated the problem as an issue with the charger not being 100% compatible with the Bolt, regarding communication between the charger and the car.
We’ve had our 2019 Bolt EV LT for almost 3 weeks, and both delayed and immediate L2 charging have worked smoothly using the MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger (240 Volt, 25ft Cable, 40 Amps) (Update Version). Manufacturer part # MT-40A-N1450.

It was only $369 and is portable. I’ve been very happy with it, and it fits fine in the charging port. There were some criticisms of earlier versions of this cable being very difficult to plug into the car, but I haven’t experienced that with this cable.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That model is $349 with $20 off at Amazon. If deal stays after Oct 1, then I can get 5% cash back using Discovercard. :)

That model is $359 with $20 off at Amazon. I guess this will charge at 7.2KW where as the 32A model above is 6.6KW?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
That model is $349 with $20 off at Amazon. If deal stays after Oct 1, then I can get 5% cash back using Discovercard. :)

That model is $359 with $20 off at Amazon. I guess this will charge at 7.2KW where as the 32A model above is 6.6KW?
32A at 240V is 7.68kW
30A at 240V is 7.20kW

·
Registered
234 Posts
OK, got it, thanks. The public ChargePoint chargers were confusing me... after reading the many discussions, I realize that it's because the chargers were running 208V x 32A = 6.6KW.

So if running 240V 32A, I get 7.68KW. If running @220V 32A, then I get 7.04KW.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
p7wang
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing