Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone- I completely ran my battery out (please no shame, I’m doing that just fine on my own.), I got it towed to a charger and it’s charging now. How badly did I screw up my car? Can I just charge it and be fine or do I need to take it in for repairs?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi everyone- I completely ran my battery out (please no shame, I’m doing that just fine on my own.), I got it towed to a charger and it’s charging now. How badly did I screw up my car? Can I just charge it and be fine or do I need to take it in for repairs?
Should be fine. The car protects it self. Unless it was from say leaving it unplugged for a couple years.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
You should be fine. How many miles did the car report going on that single charge? Do you know how many kWh it claimed it used before getting plugged in?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
No worries, you should be fine.

Can you describe what happened as you ran out? How far were you able to drive after the display stopped showing remaining range?

I've run every vehicle I've owned out of gas at least once (some of them 3 times). Good to know where the limit is.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
No shaming here, just a a huge desire for real world practical data. We all want to learn from your your unplanned experiment in how far you can run down the battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My first experiment had 61.3kwh (147 miles) used and 2% of battery left ...I probably ran 5 miles past "0" and I will try another time as I can run a 1/4 miles loop while being next to charger.

Reactions: redpoint5

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have seen two youtube videos where someone was basically empty with 59.2 kWh used and another empty at 58.6 kWh. The capacity should be very close to 60 kWh

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is when it went DEAD...was a few feet from charger luckily zero percent for sure.
note that I got at least 15 miles worth of warnings...started when battery was down at about 6%

62kwh and 171miles (cold weather) ...sounds higher than reported by others?

car is only 1000 miles old....did not use the hill reserve so car was at 100%when I started.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
Good to know that the infotainment system stays live with a dead propulsion battery, but a good 12V battery, at least I will be able to listen to tunes for a while I wait for a tow...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This is when it went DEAD...was a few feet from charger luckily zero percent for sure.
note that I got at least 15 miles worth of warnings...started when battery was down at about 6%

62kwh and 171miles (cold weather) ...sounds higher than reported by others?

car is only 1000 miles old....did not use the hill reserve so car was at 100%when I started.
That sounds too high. Either the kWh estimator is not accurate or you did a charge during adding a few more kWh. Especially with lower temperatures you should be about 58 kWh for capacity.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes it sounded high to me BUT this is my 3rd such test and they were all above 61kwh (and 140 to 170mi in range)... And by cold I meant 25F to 40F outside temp.

The battery obviously started "warm" and with full capacity (on charger until I started test)

Isn't the battery a 65kwh battery to start with? So with the safety measure built in I think I am correct.

I used to run the same tests on my Focus EV and I never saw a difference in kwh based on cold vs warm weather (20kwh out of a 23kwh battery). As with the Bolt the difference was in the range due to use of heater and battery conditioning.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Yes it sounded high to me BUT this is my 3rd such test and they were all above 61kwh (and 140 to 170mi in range)... And by cold I meant 25F to 40F outside temp.

The battery obviously started "warm" and with full capacity (on charger until I started test)

Isn't the battery a 65kwh battery to start with? So with the safety measure built in I think I am correct.

I used to run the same tests on my Focus EV and I never saw a difference in kwh based on cold vs warm weather (20kwh out of a 23kwh battery). As with the Bolt the difference was in the range due to use of heater and battery conditioning.
Thank you for sharing your test results. I can't imagine doing that to my own Bolt. You do understand this is not a good for the life of your battery?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you for sharing your test results. I can't imagine doing that to my own Bolt. You do understand this is not a good for the life of your battery?
You only live once! Seriously I had a Focus where I was always running to the limit due its limited range and I only lost 5% battery capacity at 20k miles which would be equivalent or 60k miles or so on a Bolt (3 times less cycles). Similar on Tesla.

I unintentionally ran down to "zero" yesterday after charging with Hilltop Reserve (88% ?) and was caught by the cold spell...got 54kwh and only 97 miles! I was doing well first but the short trips over 2 days killed it.

Attachments

Reactions: redpoint5

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I unintentionally ran down to "zero" yesterday after charging with Hilltop Reserve (88% ?) and was caught by the cold spell...got 54kwh and only 97 miles!
Yup. Your tests, and those of several others on here, indicate that the Bolt has a couple kWh of reserve, which is basically nothing. As I have said before, there are 14 month old Bolts sitting unsold on lots that will lose that before they get sold.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yup. Your tests, and those of several others on here, indicate that the Bolt has a couple kWh of reserve, which is basically nothing. As I have said before, there are 14 month old Bolts sitting unsold on lots that will lose that before they get sold.
Explain how a sitting Bolt loses it's "reserve".
Are you implying that the Bolt BMS will allow 60 kWh of draw from the battery even if it degrades from your assumed "2 kWh buffer at the bottom, no buffer at the top" theory?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Lithium ion batteries lose capacity from age. GM has a storage protocol for reducing this loss. I doubt most dealers are paying attention to that.
Yes, there may be some capacity loss from age, but how does that affect the reserve?

...the Bolt has a couple kWh of reserve, which is basically nothing. As I have said before, there are 14 month old Bolts sitting unsold on lots that will lose that before they get sold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts