Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I love the Bolt and am happy to drive it to work every day.. However, I live in Ohio. We have Winter. There are some issues:

1. Design Flaw: The rims will at times collect snow/ice inside the wheel. Packing itself with centrifugal force. This causes major wheel stability problems (extreme at highway speeds). It feels like the wheels will fly off. I've had to stop and spend time (not fun at 6 degrees) knocking the snow/ice out of the rims. Some people might not realize this is the problem.

2. The heated seat indicators don't always show the true status. I've had to cycle through them after starting to set them.

3. iPhone CarPlay: The panel above the steering wheel does not always sync properly with music in the center display.

4. iPhone CarPlay: The map takes more fiddling with than texting a message to someone. Follow mode randomly exits and your position is off the map display. Map routing is not top notch. I want Google maps back.

5. An option is needed to automatically flip to camera mode under a certain speed. Would be nice for parking.

6. I know I would take a hit on mileage, but I can only get 160 miles per charge when it's really cold out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
In my experience the snow/wheel collection is a common winter problem. It's a bit of a pain and you know it's happening when it suddenly seems like a wheel is out of balance...because it is...I've had to stop every so often and get down and scrape the inside of the wheels. I've had it happen with several vehicles so it's not a Bolt specific issue in my experience. It seems to require fairly precise combination of temperature/humidity as I've only had to clear the wheels twice so far this winter here in Butte.

The drivers seat seems to be on automatically (?temperature dependent?) without the indicator/button having been pressed. This works fine as it's winter so I'd be using it anyway.

Don't have an Iphone. Android Auto seems to work fine.

The lowest full charge I've seen was 140 during a persistent stretch of below zero-single digit (F) weather. Since then I've altered my energy use depending almost exclusively on the heated steering wheel/seat combo. Recently with slightly warmer temps I've been consistently well over 200.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I've often contemplated putting some quantity of antifreeze inside the tires to dynamically balance them. This should counteract snow accumulation and provide a smooth ride. There doesn't seem to be much information on if this idea is good or not.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I've often contemplated putting some quantity of antifreeze inside the tires to dynamically balance them. This should counteract snow accumulation and provide a smooth ride. There doesn't seem to be much information on if this idea is good or not.
My tractor (John Deere 950) tires (rear) were filled with an aqueous solution of calcium chloride. This added about 400 pounds to each (ag tread) tire. Traction was good, even in 12 inches of snow. I would not recommend filling the Bolt (or any auto) tires with liquid. The weight addition would be detrimental to range, and auto speeds are ten times higher than tractor speeds. I’m ‘afeared’ the centrifugal forces would tear the tire apart.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I don't live in these arctic conditions, so I probably shouldn't comment, but I was thinking... maybe if you drive in D mode instead of L mode and use the friction brakes to stop and slow the car that the snow would melt and it would behave just as your ICE powered car did? What do you think? It would mean an even shorter range though.

Failing that, try spraying the inside of the rims with this-

http://www.neverwet.com

·
Registered
142 Posts
My experience is the same with my Subie so it doesn't really matter if you're using brakes or not...under the right conditions a slight temperature change will get rid of the snow...otherwise it's a manual operation.

·
Registered
979 Posts
So #1 is not a flaw. And the rest of them should just go in the nitpick thread, the carplay thread or a bitchin about winter mileage thread.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
My tractor (John Deere 950) tires (rear) were filled with an aqueous solution of calcium chloride. This added about 400 pounds to each (ag tread) tire. Traction was good, even in 12 inches of snow. I would not recommend filling the Bolt (or any auto) tires with liquid. The weight addition would be detrimental to range, and auto speeds are ten times higher than tractor speeds. I’m ‘afeared’ the centrifugal forces would tear the tire apart.
Adding balancing "beads" or a dynamic balancer ring onto wheels is somewhat commonplace, as a substitute for statically balancing a wheel using weights. I just figured antifreeze would be a good method since it's cheap, doesn't wear out, and doesn't harm the tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So #1 is not a flaw. And the rest of them should just go in the nitpick thread, the carplay thread or a bitchin about winter mileage thread.
I would agree that it's not a car design issue. However, it is a rim design issue. Whatever car it's on you should not have to clean your rims out in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you want to offer suggestions about the Apple Carplay maps, you can send them directly to the development team here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_ios.html
I've sent in several suggestions already, but it will probably be a few years before they clean up the app to be as good as a well-refined GPS like a Garmin.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you want to offer suggestions about the Apple Carplay maps, you can send them directly to the development team here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_ios.html
I've sent in several suggestions already, but it will probably be a few years before they clean up the app to be as good as a well-refined GPS like a Garmin.
Not sure how best mention this without sounding confrontational, but since Google Maps has allowed us to download maps of our trip in advance, while still on Wi-Fi, our Garmins have been collecting dust.

Both Waze and Google maps work very well on Android Auto...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure how best mention this without sounding confrontational, but since Google Maps has allowed us to download maps of our trip in advance, while still on Wi-Fi, our Garmins have been collecting dust.
This is one of the genuine advantages of an Android phone over Apple right now, and it's a frustrating one. I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before Apple adds offline caching of map data, which is my biggest complaint. I also have some more minor issues with the display, like needing a higher-contrast color scheme, and a map scale indicator, but those I can live with. I don't think Apple is directly blocking Google Maps from accessing Carplay screens, but they certainly have set a much higher bar for certification, and I don't know why Google hasn't been able to meet that bar yet.

Some iPhone/Bolt owners have broken down and simply bought a cheap Android phone to store in the console, simply to have full access to Google Maps on the big screen. I haven't gone that path yet, but am considering it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts