Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am currently moving my Bolt out of garage when charging, it is not practical to park it outside all the time. Extreme storms with hail and high winds seem to be more common. My question is how would I beef up my attached garage to provide protection in case a fire would start. Would a double layer of 5/8" drywall be sufficient? Other ideas?

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
HALON.

• Love
Reactions: Stv and ncmike

·
Registered
98 Posts
A small pool about 4 feet deep, 20 feet long and 8 feet wide. Build this with a concrete pad over the top. Then place a trap door in the concrete pad. Park car on trap door. If a fire starts, triggers the door...No more flaming car, just a bunch of steam and metal. *** This will not work for an existing garage.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Use Fire-code drywall. Make sure you have fire-rated door. Seal gaps/corners with fire-proof sealant, especially the ceiling. Gas appliances in garage could be an issue.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Other ideas?
remember using a special paint to up the fire rating of my former workplace's diesel storage tank support structure.
this stuff claims to work on gypsum/sheetrock also:
edit: welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
Don't forget a smoke / heat alarm. One wired to the rest of the alarms in the house would be preferable (if you're remodeling the garage anyway).

·
Registered
59 Posts
We added a smoke alarm in the garage. It won’t fix or help a thermal event, but we will know to grab our 1yr old and get the f&ck out.
Line Wall Shade Ceiling Glass

·
Registered
59 Posts
A small pool about 4 feet deep, 20 feet long and 8 feet wide. Build this with a concrete pad over the top. Then place a trap door in the concrete pad. Park car on trap door. If a fire starts, triggers the door...No more flaming car, just a bunch of steam and metal. *** This will not work for an existing garage.
Also a bit of an issue when the Bolt is on fire and you decide to take a swim.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
There is no good plan to make an attached garage fireproof to the dwelling. The weak link is the attic after the ceiling burns through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Perhaps if you park it on your roof - as in underground home with attached garage on top. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Part of the issue is toxic smoke and maybe flying molten metal.

Yes, one could make a garage somewhat fire resistant. Intumescent paint over fire rated material along with intumescent caulk should be a national code. There is a 1 hour fire rating on the ceiling if you apply the paint correctly. It is really neat stuff. I think it cost me $330 for 5 gallon and it doesn't cover much. I bought it before all of this just for piece of mind.

I urge anyone to abandon the idea of pulling out their car unless long cable used. Don't get near it. Get out!!! Get others out. Then phone fire department.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My husband and I designed our own house and had it built, several years ago before Bolts. Our garage is a separate building. We did that on purpose so our workshop would not share air with the house. I was tired of the stink coming into the living room, when firing up some project bike out there. The Bolt is one more reason to be glad we did it that way. I do worry about fire damage to our motorcycles but at least it is unlikely to roast us in our bed.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
As I've stated elsewhere, if I were to catch it early enough that the car would power on, I'd drive it out. If it wouldn't move on its own power and I still caught it early enough, I'd try to pull it out with some other vehicle or tractor. I can hold my breath for at least 30 seconds under stress, and closer to a minute if calm and not exerting myself.

If I owned a Bolt, I'd have a tow hitch, so it would be a trivial matter to quickly attach a tow strap to it. I'd probably attach the tow bolt just to facilitate pulling the vehicle out if I didn't have a hitch.

Failing all that, I'd be spraying down the surrounding area with water from a garden hose at a distance, making sure it's all out of the way when the fire dept shows up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Halon like AFF is bad for the environment. Halon disrupts the fire quadrangle or the spontaneous uninhibited chain reaction. It's great for oil fires. Puts hole in ozone layer.

You'll have to have a number of garden hoses. It could be better to attach sprinkler to the ceiling above car. Turn off home power then open valve. All from a distance.

You guys must have never seen a regular car go up in flames. It really is fast and dangerous. You don't want to be near an electrical fire combo car fire.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts