Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
the new charge rate is a definite win for Tesla owners - my question is how fast they can roll it out - a related note is how they plan to use software to condition batteries to optimize for fast charging - once again leversging OTA updates...it may or may not be the fastest charge rate but it is relentless improvement and Tesla is always pushing.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
the new charge rate is a definite win for Tesla owners - my question is how fast they can roll it out - a related note is how they plan to use software to condition batteries to optimize for fast charging - once again leversging OTA updates...it may or may not be the fastest charge rate but it is relentless improvement and Tesla is always pushing.

I'd like to see a "I'm going to be fast-charging this thing in about X hours" option.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
From what I understand, the roll-out of the OTA is supposed to start this week per TeslaFi including dog mode, sentry, added range, and power. No word on the V3 updates or advanced summon (parking lot come and get me) though but thought he said a few weeks. Probably not critical as the implementation of upgrading the V2's and new V3's will take a few months. However to your question, supposedly when you have a V3 stop in your trip planner, it will start the preconditioning on the way to be timed with your arrival so that as soon as you plug in, max current.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Let's make a deal. If I can post your quotes that back up those alternative facts of yours, will you stop posting your garbage for 6 months? And if I can't, I will stop correcting your misinformation campaign.
How about this: Stay on topic.

If I post something that you believe is factually incorrect, address it at the time, without personal attacks. If you have a factual counterpoint, post it. If you have a cogent, logical counterpoint, post it. But please stop making things up, misrepresenting information, pretending to be obtuse, ignoring cogent points, taking statements out of context, or conflating multiple statements to make them appear to mean something that was not intended. Deal?

Now back on topic:

The Model 3 (with its much higher peak charging rate of 256 kW) adds 60 kWh in 30 minutes. A ~120 kW average charging rate. That's great, and combined with the Model 3's >4 mi/kWh, it's really impressive. An average charging rate of >480 mi/hr.

The e-Tron (despite only peaking at 155 kW) adds over 70 kWh in 30 minutes. A ~150 kW average charging rate. Now, that's a much better average charging rate than the V3 provides on the Model 3; however, due to e-Tron's poor efficiency (standard size AWD SUV), its mi/hr rate looks much worse by comparison at ~320 mi/hr (with an efficiency of only 2.3 mi/kWh).

So the Model 3's efficiency more than makes up for its average charging rate, while the e-Tron's poor efficiency more than offsets its better average charging rate.

I'm still struggling to figure out how any of that triggered you into personal attacks, but whatever.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Tesla begins to unlock V2 Supercharger’s 145 kW charge rate in new software roll out
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-v2-supercharger-145-kw-software-update/

Tesla has begun rolling out its V2 Supercharger network software update enabling 145 kW charge rates for Model 3 vehicles. This increased power provides an approximate 18% improvement in vehicle charge times and comes on the heels of Tesla’s 250 kW V3 Supercharger launch. The boost in useable power for Tesla’s current-generation Superchargers, from 120 kW to 145 kW, will gradually be unlocked for over 12,000 V2 stations worldwide.

Photos shared on Reddit show a Tesla Model 3 on firmware version 2019.7.11 achieving a 147 kW peak charge at 600 mi/hr from a V2 Supercharger in Petaluma, California. Power was reduced to 117 kW at 60% battery charge, and calculated charge time was 35 minutes beginning from 16% battery state of charge, according to the images. This same over-the-air software also unlocks Model 3’s ability to charge at V3 stations.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Do you know if this update also includes the pre-conditioning of the battery upon arrival feature. I could have used that this weekend. I had a supercharger session at about 30F on Saturday that was painfully slow and I had the stall to myself. It got down into the 60ish kW range.
The article would imply that it is not available yet. Maybe hard to tell unless you are on a familiar route in similar temps where you see kW rates higher than expected for that circumstance.

There are some 3rd party product reading the can traffic. The main Model 3 one is being sorted out. (https://teslaglobalownersclub.com/ has thread on it). For the X and S, it seems Scan My Tesla (SMT) has the data that could watch as you traveled to a SuperCharger and saw the battery temps rise.

In addition to the upgraded V2 Superchargers, Tesla will be releasing an over-the-air feature called “On-Route Battery Warmup” to pre-condition vehicle batteries for optimal charging temperature. This feature will further reduce charge time and, when combined with the use of the newest 1,000 mi/hr V3 Superchargers, cut down on vehicle charging time by half.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I grabbed this from a reddit post. Apparently the 150kW is showing up on the cars display now. ie. was going to be 120 kW to 145 kW but a couple days ago I saw in some article Tesla determined it could go to 150kW.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
May not be v3 yet in European locations but 150 kW is prevalent for Tesla CCS plug Superchargers.

Tesla officially announced that ht as unlocked more power in European Supercharging network.
The short tweet doesn't contain any details, but it's obvious that it's all about increasing V2 Superchargers output from roughly 120 kW to 150 kW.
Voilà, we’ve unlocked even more power in our European Superchargers.
C’est très speedy. https://t.co/AV89PfXtld
— Tesla (@Tesla) 29 August 2019
The new S/3/X Tesla cars can charge at up to:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I still wonder whether they'll nerf those rates down the road like they did with some older Model S cars. Apparently they nerfed those by as much as 50% to where they only charge marginally faster than the Bolt now, once they found out that charging at the higher rate could be dangerous. Makes you wonder if these high rates might: (a) be a selling feature to push cars out now, and (b) may actually be detrimental to your battery over time - if you do it a lot.

Mike

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Makes you wonder if these high rates might: (a) be a selling feature to push cars out now, and (b) may actually be detrimental to your battery over time - if you do it a lot.
There is nothing to wonder about. It is detrimental to your battery over time. Tesla's former battery head J.B. Straubel, their battery researcher Jeff Dahn, and all lithium ion battery research concur. There is no free lunch. The only debate is over what level of degradation is an acceptable trade-off for consumers. This is the hard part, because consumers change their minds in a millisecond. They are fine with degradation for faster charge rates, until it stops being theoretical. Then they were against it all along.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
12 Participants
GJETSON
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing