Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As MI won't get Bolts until November, I contacted several dealers in VA, MD to see if they'd sell one to a 'foreigner'. Most wouldn't (we need to keep our stock for our 'local' customers) and I get that.......but a couple would and I consummated a long distance deal to purchase one from a dealer in Sterling, VA. I drove my F350 truck down and trailered it back on 2/18, 2/19. I got one that's Kinetic Blue with Premier trim and the infotainment and driver assistance packages.

I've had it a week and I'm still giddy over the car. It's fun to drive, looks cool and costs 1/3 of what my Accord did to operate. Throw in the "I'm the first guy with this cool technology" on the block or in our circle of friends and you get bathed in a slight sense of moral superiority as this is "the right thing to do" for Mother Nature. I'm 55 and many of our older friends can't wrap their head around an electric car. It's been fun explaining it

I've put 500+ miles on it including one 215 mile round trip in 30F weather. My eye was definitely on the odo and range displays as I kept calculating total mileage and wondering if it would drift to a lower total and leave me stranded a few miles from home.

Yes, I've discovered a few things that annoy me (but only slightly):

1. There's no place for loose change so I cut off the top half of a plastic cup and have filled the passenger side cup holder. When my wife rides with me, I put the change cup in the console cavity under the armrest.
2. I would have thought it would come with an integrated garage door opener....oh well.....I have the one leftover from the Accord.
3. I wear glasses so the lack of a sunglasses cavity isn't a big deal for me. I also,live in MI so we don't have the gorgeous sunny days our CA colleagues do and, therefore, sunglasses aren't a necessity here.
4. Yes, the front seat is a bit uncomfortable. I'm 6', 270 and I find that my left thigh aches if I leave it stationary for too long. It's annoying but not so much that I'm contemplating alternate seats, etc.
5. It seems that Apple Maps always wants to give me directions home. I don't know if this a Bolt software issue or a setting on my iPhone 6. When I open the mapping app, it always plots directions for me to get home. I can correct the error but I'd like to be able to figure out how to disable this 'feature'.
6. As a sinus and allergy sufferer, I can't figure out where to put my box of Kleenex. I need to find a location for a small trash can too.

It'll take a while to get used to all the menus and settings. The last time I purchased a car was 2007 and NONE of this technology was available back then.

Dayle

·
Registered
979 Posts
Nice acquisition.

I’m going to have to trade-in my archaic iphone 4S. As apparently Apple carplay requires iphone 5 or newer. Which version of iphone can use the wifi charger slot located in the console of the Bolt ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are two charging paths for phones in the Bolt. A wireless pouch is on the console but I don't think iPhones are capable of charging wirelessly (at least mine doesn't). There are also two USB ports that can charge any iPhone.....the only difference is the cord needed.

Dayle

·
Registered
179 Posts
As MI won't get Bolts until November, I contacted several dealers in VA, MD to see if they'd sell one to a 'foreigner'. Most wouldn't (we need to keep our stock for our 'local' customers) and I get that.......but a couple would and I consummated a long distance deal to purchase one from a dealer in Sterling, VA. I drove my F350 truck down and trailered it back on 2/18, 2/19. I got one that's Kinetic Blue with Premier trim and the infotainment and driver assistance packages.

I've had it a week and I'm still giddy over the car. It's fun to drive, looks cool and costs 1/3 of what my Accord did to operate. Throw in the "I'm the first guy with this cool technology" on the block or in our circle of friends and you get bathed in a slight sense of moral superiority as this is "the right thing to do" for Mother Nature. I'm 55 and many of our older friends can't wrap their head around an electric car. It's been fun explaining it

I've put 500+ miles on it including one 215 mile round trip in 30F weather. My eye was definitely on the odo and range displays as I kept calculating total mileage and wondering if it would drift to a lower total and leave me stranded a few miles from home.

Yes, I've discovered a few things that annoy me (but only slightly):

1. There's no place for loose change so I cut off the top half of a plastic cup and have filled the passenger side cup holder. When my wife rides with me, I put the change cup in the console cavity under the armrest.
2. I would have thought it would come with an integrated garage door opener....oh well.....I have the one leftover from the Accord.
3. I wear glasses so the lack of a sunglasses cavity isn't a big deal for me. I also,live in MI so we don't have the gorgeous sunny days our CA colleagues do and, therefore, sunglasses aren't a necessity here.
4. Yes, the front seat is a bit uncomfortable. I'm 6', 270 and I find that my left thigh aches if I leave it stationary for too long. It's annoying but not so much that I'm contemplating alternate seats, etc.
5. It seems that Apple Maps always wants to give me directions home. I don't know if this a Bolt software issue or a setting on my iPhone 6. When I open the mapping app, it always plots directions for me to get home. I can correct the error but I'd like to be able to figure out how to disable this 'feature'.
6. As a sinus and allergy sufferer, I can't figure out where to put my box of Kleenex. I need to find a location for a small trash can too.

It'll take a while to get used to all the menus and settings. The last time I purchased a car was 2007 and NONE of this technology was available back then.

Dayle
Great job getting the bolt. I got mine first of the year(in NE) and am too still giddy.
1. I use the center console and drop it in.
2. Lots of posts on this too. Seems like space for one just behind the light/on star but no one has stated if they have installed the home lite remote button yet.
3.great post on glasses ?. Several post here, best solution (that I did) was to get a generic clip with the metal back. Remove the metal back get double stick tape or command strip and stick between the two speaker spots. Works great.
4. Lots of talk on this. I am 6'3" and 270. No problems but that may be that I am used to that(I have a Miata with seats are the same). I suggest getting a 2" cushion puts you butt up and you don't get a sore spot. Raises you up above edge.
5. Same here. Not sure why but easy to get to general maps. Hope they fix it sometime.
6. Small trash can and box of tissue on floor of back seat. Fits tight and doesn't move. But you can use the front big storage spot also.
Hope you enjoy as much as I do. I save 200$ a month driving the Bolt. 130miles a day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good for you that you were able to get your hands on a Bolt, even if it was out of state. You can appreciate my frustration since I live only 30 miles from the Orion plant and it will be September(at the earliest) before I can get one. You see them around the GM Tech Center and that just adds to the frustration. The lease on my Volt is up the end of June. My plan is to turn the car in and drive my gas guzzling truck for the summer and hope that I don't have to wait much beyond September.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you're gonna pay MSRP wherever you get your Bolt, consider going to a different state like I did. By the time your Volt lease is up, there will plenty of state that will have the Bolt available. Buffalo, NY is close enough that you could drive it home with an overnight stay at Cedar Point.....go for it, man.

Dayle

·
Registered
735 Posts
Good for you that you were able to get your hands on a Bolt, even if it was out of state. You can appreciate my frustration since I live only 30 miles from the Orion plant and it will be September(at the earliest) before I can get one. You see them around the GM Tech Center and that just adds to the frustration. The lease on my Volt is up the end of June. My plan is to turn the car in and drive my gas guzzling truck for the summer and hope that I don't have to wait much beyond September.
They should give you a complementary tour of the facility to ease your waiting.... or would that make the wait harder? :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is a good suggestion Dayle. Maybe by June Ohio will have them. I could always go to Toledo. You are right about the MSRP, there will not be any special deal for sure. I like the idea of the plant tour.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a good suggestion Dayle. Maybe by June Ohio will have them. I could always go to Toledo. You are right about the MSRP, there will not be any special deal for sure. I like the idea of the plant tour.
According to the graphic posted below, IL dealers will be able to take orders in May.

Dayle

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts