Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 bolt premier
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chevy bolt and other chevy products have DIC touch screens which are angled very badly for reflectionsmaking screen invisible quite often. I am now of the opinion that touch screens need to be outlawed since they are a very serious distraction if you have to first look at them and then actually touch them to operate. First of all should not be looking anywhere except where vehicle is going. Secondly there REALLY needs to be a screen control knob that can operate all functions available on screen like BMW, ALPHA, Mercedes, Audi, volvo etc etc. I am surprised GM gets away with such a dangerous bug in their design …..
also temperature O/S and time should always be available to drivers on dash display notonly part time and maybe not on the DIC.
maybe instead of cutsie wheels spinning graphics there could be real useful informationon the DIC such as percentage of charge and perhaps battery temperature and other factors.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I never have the issue of not being able to see the screen. If you think GM's HCI is dangerous, wait until you hear about Tesla's.

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Bolt LT
4 Posts
Yeah I've driven in all conditions and never had an issue with glare or reflections. Perhaps you have the screen brightness turned down?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
The chevy bolt and other chevy products have DIC touch screens which are angled very badly for reflectionsmaking screen invisible quite often. I am now of the opinion that touch screens need to be outlawed since they are a very serious distraction if you have to first look at them and then actually touch them to operate. First of all should not be looking anywhere except where vehicle is going. Secondly there REALLY needs to be a screen control knob that can operate all functions available on screen like BMW, ALPHA, Mercedes, Audi, volvo etc etc. I am surprised GM gets away with such a dangerous bug in their design …..
also temperature O/S and time should always be available to drivers on dash display notonly part time and maybe not on the DIC.
maybe instead of cutsie wheels spinning graphics there could be real useful informationon the DIC such as percentage of charge and perhaps battery temperature and other factors.
I think you're referring to the Infotainment screen, not the DIC? The Driver Information Center screen is the one behind the steering wheel that has the speedometer. It also does show your percentage of charge in 5% increments through a bar graph on the left side.

I do agree that the Infotainment screen suffers from glare, although I'm bothered more by reflections off the chrome trim piece above the screen than I am by the screen itself. I would also like for the time and temperature to be displayed on every screen, not just the home screen, although that's a design decision that will vary among different cars.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I do agree that the Infotainment screen suffers from glare, although I'm bothered more by reflections off the chrome trim piece above the screen than I am by the screen itself.
Black electrical tape works wonders - it's exactly the right width to cover that strip.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,480 Posts
My 1960 Ford Falcon must have been doubly dangerous, what with all of the knobs on rods I had to find to push and pull. The radio dial was especially insidious, as I had to really give it a long look, to see the little numbers in order to dial into 640AM.

Same "problem"...different decade.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I am now of the opinion that touch screens need to be outlawed
As has been said about every new car features since the time of adding a radio, and probably before. Preventing cell phone use during driving would be far, far more significant.
a screen control knob that can operate all functions available on screen like BMW, ALPHA, Mercedes, Audi, volvo etc etc.
And other than some fanboys, those control knobs are much hated.

·
Registered
2020 Slate Metallic Bolt LT
61 Posts
Black electrical tape works wonders - it's exactly the right width to cover that strip.
...although I'm bothered more by reflections off the chrome trim piece above the screen than I am by the screen itself...
I got a scrap piece of black vinyl from a wrap shot and 10 minutes later it looked like a factory job.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I am now of the opinion that touch screens need to be outlawed since they are a very serious distraction if you have to first look at them and then actually touch them to operate.
Really? There is a warning about not looking at the screen, heed that then.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
For glare, this works up to a certain angle.

·
Premium Member
2020 bolt premier
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you're referring to the Infotainment screen, not the DIC? The Driver Information Center screen is the one behind the steering wheel that has the speedometer. It also does show your percentage of charge in 5% increments through a bar graph on the left side.

I do agree that the Infotainment screen suffers from glare, although I'm bothered more by reflections off the chrome trim piece above the screen than I am by the screen itself. I would also like for the time and temperature to be displayed on every screen, not just the home screen, although that's a design decision that will vary among different cars.
oh yeah
forgot one or two.
I got a premier thinking there would be something worthwhile besides the rear view camera via the mirror. There is only one trip measuring in speedo no car is that chinzy anymore. I drive Teslas and have no problems with glare because the screen is huge and I can keep the lower half always on rear virew if I want to. it is mounted more vertically so doesn't reflect much normally. I think traction control does not work at all in the bolt
if it is on there should not allow wheel spin as with other cars like Audi and most others with traction control. I guess it is the "infotainment" screen I refer to not the DIC the bar graph is ok but the cutsey spinning wheels seem a silly distraction. Oh yes and the damned door chime will never stop and cannot be turned off or low enough.... and the radio insists on being on when starting the car. must be set to channel ZERO for any quiet start and defaults to XM radio which is a premasticated joke of presentation and often cuts out if there is a tree or a cloud. why bother? must be software engineers have nothing to do but cutsey graphics instead of information. I especially like the message of not looking at the screen which has to be turned of. that's great. Anyway
you may not know it but I really like the bolt but maybe got one too soon as I can't really travel with it becuse of no charging network in the boonies of NY. It is a good first shot for GM but there is much room for improvement
the instabnt torque and accel is nice spoils me for driving ice cars anymore
too much lag on throttle. Tesla is just starting out in the car business and so far is very far ahead in innovation maybe others will catch on soon also
Ford looks like might be a useable truck .

·
Registered
'17 Bolt Premier
44 Posts
One of the reasons that I didn't buy a Mazda 6 is because they locked the touch screen when the car is in gear. I don't want to use a mouse or joystick. Look at the reviews for the infotainment systems in the Lexus and Acura cars. They're terrible. People hate them, and complain about them incessantly. When Mazda took away the touchscreen on later Mazda 6 models, a lot of people were pissed off. If GM locks out the touch screen, I will not be happy. I'm an Industrial Engineer and have taken classes on this kind of thing, and even I hate the mouse/joystick thing.
I will say that the military is on your side. My colleague developed touch screens for a living, and worked on a panel for a military jet. The pilots demanded a touch screen, but when they were installed, the pilots started having headaches and vertigo issues. The project ultimately failed. But they were moving at hundreds of miles an hour and processing a ton of things at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
One of the reasons that I didn't buy a Mazda 6 is because they locked the touch screen when the car is in gear. I don't want to use a mouse or joystick. Look at the reviews for the infotainment systems in the Lexus and Acura cars. They're terrible. People hate them, and complain about them incessantly. When Mazda took away the touchscreen on later Mazda 6 models, a lot of people were pissed off. If GM locks out the touch screen, I will not be happy. I'm an Industrial Engineer and have taken classes on this kind of thing, and even I hate the mouse/joystick thing.
I will say that the military is on your side. My colleague developed touch screens for a living, and worked on a panel for a military jet. The pilots demanded a touch screen, but when they were installed, the pilots started having headaches and vertigo issues. The project ultimately failed. But they were moving at hundreds of miles an hour and processing a ton of things at the same time.
The SpaceX crew Dragon capsule uses programmable touchscreen controls. You change the screen to access a relatively clean set of controls on that screen. Their commercial competitor, Boeing's Starliner capsule, uses hundreds of fixed, traditional mechanical controls. You have to memorize the location of each individual switch, just like on past space capsules. Guess which one the astronauts prefer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts