Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the AeroVironment charger from the dealership (it is probably the one the dealer uses). I called to schedule installation, give them payment information, fill out a questionnaire (where is the charger going, can your home electrical support the installation, etc.). I think I'm ready to go then they send me a contract to sign. They already contacted the local electrician, who sent me an e-mail. I know a lot of people don't read those but I do, and among other things it basically disclaimed any warranty, required to to file legal claims in California (I live on the East Coast, the flight alone would cost as much as the charger). So I cancelled the install, and now I have to fight them to take the charger back. Long story short - don't buy the AeroVironment charger. Checking the other threads for recommendations. :mad:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Love my Siemens VersiCharge from a Home Depot, $499. Easy to install, reliable, sturdy, & can unplug and take along. Look at YouTube: 8 Best Electric Vehicle Chargers for 2017.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have the Siemans and love it. I have had it for 4 yrs. now. I bought it when I leased my 2013 Leaf and used it almost daily. It still works like new for our Bolt. I installed it myself in the garage. Luckily my panel box is located in the garage and very close to the location I chose for the charger. I used a 40amp. breake and #6 wire and it has worked great.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I too have the Siemans and love it. I have had it for 4 yrs. now. I bought it when I leased my 2013 Leaf and used it almost daily. It still works like new for our Bolt. I installed it myself in the garage. Luckily my panel box is located in the garage and very close to the location I chose for the charger. I used a 40amp. breake and #6 wire and it has worked great.
Very happy to hear feedback like this which might just push me closer to getting it myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I too have the Siemans and love it. I have had it for 4 yrs. now. I bought it when I leased my 2013 Leaf and used it almost daily. It still works like new for our Bolt. I installed it myself in the garage. Luckily my panel box is located in the garage and very close to the location I chose for the charger. I used a 40amp. breake and [URL=http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=6]#6 [/URL] wire and it has worked great.
I installed my own also, and with only a 2 foot run from breaker to outlet, used #10 wire (10-2 w/ground), more than adequate for 40 amps. #8 would have worked well (up to a 12 foot "run") but #6 is probably more copper than you need with much more stiffness than you want!

The VersiCharge can be either hard-wired or plugged. But since it is light & portable (not small), I recommend a plug. It can go with you to where there is an outlet (NEMA 14-50 if you have an adapter) but no Level 2 EVSE.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Have a local electrician put in the AeroVironment EVSE if you’ve already purchased it and AeroVironment won’t take the unit back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts