Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I'm hearing both yes and no. Any definitive answer?
I'm just a dumb Canadian, so please bear with me. But why are people calling it "Trump's tax bill" when it's amalgam of what was written by and hashed out between Congress and the Senate? Are people just buying into his braggadocio claims of authorship?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just a dumb Canadian, so please bear with me. But why are people calling it "Trump's tax bill" when it's amalgam of what was written by and hashed out between Congress and the Senate? Are people just buying into his braggadocio claims of authorship?
Because he was the one that told them it needed to be changed...and together he and the Republican majority House wrote it to favor business and screw clean industries like EVs and promote backwards things like coal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm just a dumb Canadian, so please bear with me. But why are people calling it "Trump's tax bill" ...
Because in spite of the fact that all opinion polls show that the public hates it, Trump needed ONE legislative win in his first year in office to brag about.

BTW: It is the House and the Senate, both of which are parts of Congress.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Because when there is a Dem in the white house, the Reps are all deficit hawks...must cut spending to reduce the deficit, even if the economy is in a recession. When there is a R in the white house, deficits don't matter, we have to cut taxes to stimulate the economy....even if the economy is already booming.

So, merely by sitting in his big chair....he made the tax cut bill happen.

·
Registered
365 Posts
In the US, it's a long standing tradition that major legislation gets tagged with the Presidents name. After all, our model of government is the "energetic executive". The Congress, well that Bismarck's sausage factory.

The Tax Bill is great for me. I don't have to itemize anymore, and my tax bracket got a rate cut and expanded upward big league. I can accelerate my IRA to Roth conversion and get it done years sooner than planned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Truthfully, we Americans are too embarrassed to admit that the single most important piece of legislation in years was written by corporate lobbyist. We still bathe ourselves in the illusion of a democracy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts