Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone --

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful orange 2017 Bolt. I had a VW diesel that I just sold back, and I wanted to go electric.

So far loving this little powerhouse. Was very glad to find this forum!

- K

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
Welcome aboard. I usually do not like the orange vehicle, but the Bolt is sort of a "gold-orange" which is very intriguing. That was the color of the Bolt I saw at the Dayton, OH auto show where I made the decision to buy. I had been looking at the BMW i3 but the Bolt is FWD, wider in the rear seat, has more room for my road bike without getting black tire marks on the seat backs, and a range that makes the BMW look weak by comparison. I have driven trip legs of 165, 200, 226, & 240 miles with total trip lengths of 350, 365, 426, and 480 miles. You will learn alot on this Forum. I do believe I learn something new on most days!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
:|Had three VW diesels in my life. 1980 VW Rabbit, 1999 VW NewBeetle, and a 2006 VW NewBeetle, all new. Loved them at the time, but the price of diesel was so much higher than regular unleaded. EVs are so much better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too went diesel to electric. Had both a '98 and '99 TDI Beetles, bought used, that I ended up putting on over 150k additional miles each. With pending repairs to the last one mounting it was time to search out a new car. The diesels got 45-50mpg but with the fuel back over $3.00 the choice was pretty easy to make the switch. I looked at the e-Golf but the range wasn't there. The Bolt came out at the right moment for my decision making, it fits my needs for a daily 100 mile commuter.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
I too went diesel to electric. Had both a '98 and '99 TDI Beetles, bought used, that I ended up putting on over 150k additional miles each. With pending repairs to the last one mounting it was time to search out a new car. The diesels got 45-50mpg but with the fuel back over $3.00 the choice was pretty easy to make the switch. I looked at the e-Golf but the range wasn't there. The Bolt came out at the right moment for my decision making, it fits my needs for a daily 100 mile commuter.
No one envies your 100 mile commute. The Bolt EV makes that possible. Even for those of us who commute only 20 miles/day, the Bolt makes planned long-distance travel not only possible but also somewhat fun.

As an aside, I wonder if, for long trips, the facts that (for range) we drive under the speed limit (as everyone should) and that (to "recharge" ourselves {stretch, walk about, drink fluids, eat, visit the RR} as well as the batteries) we stop every 3-4 hours (as everyone should), our lessened fatigue will lead to safer driving? Hmm...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own a 2011 Golf TDI which any day now will be bought back from me. I spent about $28k on it (after taxes and fees) and I'm getting $24k back. I plan on getting a Bolt LT with DC Fast Charge and Comfort & Convenience Package which is MSRP $38,800. Looks like I'll get it for about $34,300 after dealer incentives. Then minus $7,500 federal tax rebate and $500 PG&E rebate makes it $26,300. Then I'll get my Model 3 $1,000 deposit refunded so I'll get it down to $25,300. Not too far off from the $24k from VW class action!

·
Registered
572 Posts
My 2003 Jetta wasn't diesel, but got totaled and the Bolt was my choice. 6 months and 3000 miles and all is good. I miss shifting gears sometimes, but the Bolt can do regen and I live at the top of a hill. Love that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
And I did the same.... sold my 2009 VW Sportwagen TDI back to VW, and bought a Bolt one week ago. So far it is great! With a ~60 mile total daily commute, the Bolt is perfect. Happy I don't need to buy gas anymore. Clipper creek installed in my garage on Thursday so all set.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My dad pre-ordered and bought one of the 1st diesel Rabbits in Oregon in 1977. When he said he'd ordered a VW, I thought he was getting a Beetle! I learned to drive in it, and we put a quarter of a million miles on it and I think a C/V joint replacement was the only maintenance he ever did. 48 hp, 48 mpg. My 17-year-old son is inheriting my '03 Golf TDI with 'only' 160,000 miles as it's a great car, should have 100,000 good miles left in it, and is about the cheapest car to insure a teenager in. Gets the same 48mpg, but it's a thousand pounds heavier and has twice the hp.
The late-model TDIs (before the scandal) just didn't trip my trigger, and the Bolt did,so Voila'.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
IMO:

In the US turbodiesel cars have been more of a niche product for connoisseurs rather than a calculated choice for everyday drivers. At the same time in Europe in the past 15-20 years almost every manufacturer has offered diesel cars, and their overall share is probably about 50%. I wonder what their diesel-to-electric experience will be like.

In the past I must have clocked at least 200K common rail- and pumpe-düse TDI miles; to sum up:

The EV driving is certainly quieter and more torque-y, but TDI cars do (a) Pay for themselves, (b) Deliver enormous range sans the anxiety, like 600++ mi on a tank, and (c) Are warm in the winter for free :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi everyone --

I'm the proud owner of a beautiful orange 2017 Bolt. I had a VW diesel that I just sold back, and I wanted to go electric.

So far loving this little powerhouse. Was very glad to find this forum!

- K
Did the same as well with a 2012 Golf TDI. It was a fun car to drive and had replaced a 2002 Golf TDI that we loved that was unfortunately totaled in an accident. But for the emissions scandal, we would still be driving it. Also got most of the value back on the original sale on the VW buy back.

So in the interest of atoning for all the unintentional pollution we contributed, our aim for the next car was zero or near zero emissions. Ended up getting a used 2013 Volt that we had for several months and loved. But as soon as a (Cajun Red!) Bolt was available in our area with all the features we wanted, we traded in the Volt and snapped it up! Very happy owner since, and not looking back! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
wow, it's nice to be in good company here. so excited about my Bolt. selling back my beloved little yellow Beetle made me sad... my very first car was a 1972 SuperBeetle and I've always loved VWs. however, I'm beginning to fall in love with Chevy as well...

thanks for the welcome everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.