Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing the online parts catalogs and noticed that there are two battery "designs" for the Bolt EV offered as replacements. For example, see this page: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2017/chevrolet/bolt-ev/lt-trim/electric-engine/electric-propulsion-system-cat/battery-scat. (Note the picture looks to be from a Volt diagram.)

24286782 Battery BOLT; 2ND DESIGN $12,285.00
24286671 Battery BOLT; 1ST DESIGN $11,865.96

Then I looked at my 4/17 production car and saw that the battery part number is 24286670. The tag is visible looking underneath from behind the left rear tire. It helps to take a picture with your phone to record the actual number. Here's mine: http://i.imgur.com/gAH6nan.jpg

This brings up a number of questions:
  • Why are there three different battery part numbers?
  • How are these batteries different?
  • Why is the 2nd design more expensive?
  • Are the 6671 and 6782 part numbers just for replacement batteries or do production cars also have these?
  • Is a 6670 battery a "1st Design" that would need to be replaced with a 6671?
  • Are all the current production batteries 6670?
  • If there were production changes, when did they occur?
  • Do these different battery configurations have any influence on battery life, weight, capacity or other spec meaningful to the consumer?
Anybody have insight here?

If you get a moment, please look to see if you have a 6670, 6671, or 6782 battery and post the results. It would also be helpful to know your car's production month and year, which is on a sticker in the driver's door jam.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I was perusing the online parts catalogs and noticed that there are two battery "designs" for the Bolt EV offered as replacements.
This has been discussed before - it appears there might be some sort of typo or mistake in the catalogue and it is referring to batteries for the Gen1 vs. Gen Volt.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has been discussed before - it appears there might be some sort of typo or mistake in the catalogue and it is referring to batteries for the Gen1 vs. Gen Volt.
So it has. I apologize for starting another thread. Here's an earlier one: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/12186-2nd-battery-design.html

However, I don't find the "catalog error" explanation compelling. It doesn't explain the difference in part numbers. The other thread references a Greencarreports article that states the replacement battery is 24285978. Why is that different than what's in a 4/17 production car?

It seems there are at least 2, if not 4, different battery part numbers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just leased my Bolt on 8/31/2017. Hartford, Ct area.
The build date is June 2017 and the battery code is 6768 (or possibly 6763 I couldn't get a good look at it).
Hope this helps.
Jay

·
Registered
121 Posts
Read somewhere that LG continuously modifies its manufacturing process and the new numbers don't mean there's anything different about the battery packs themselves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts