Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the slow speed artificial "noise" annoying. Is there a way to disable it? I'm guessing this comes from a speaker somewhere that could be clipped, right?

·
Registered
392 Posts
ther is a fuse you can pull somewhere there is a thread on it somewhere here. Be prepared for the wrath on doing that from the forum :)

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
If you hit a pedestrian with fuse 34 removed, be prepared to hand over the keys to your house and everything else you own. Does that qualify as "rage"?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
If you hit a pedestrian with fuse 34 removed, be prepared to hand over the keys to your house and everything else you own. Does that qualify as "rage"?
I've been in Law Enforcement for over 2 decades. Have seen and done plenty of fatal accident investigations, watched plenty of cars go to junk yards. I can tell you that at no time have I ever heard of, seen or been trained to look at the fuses of anything. And if you think you can inspect the car after it has been on the wrecker and taken to a holding lot, think chain of custody with evidence .... the car is the evidence. Once it's towed away, you can no longer certify or say what fuse it did or didn't have. Also, for one who follows the litigation as a hobby, I have never seen a payout beyond policy limits .... they just don't go for it. However, my younger brother got sued after he blew a stop sign and T-Boned a lady .... she had a broken leg. He didn't have insurance, the judgement for just medical costs against him was 6 figures. He filed bankruptcy, they had nothing they could take ..... the house had a mortgage, they won't touch a house with a mortgage because in order to take the house they have to first settle the mortgage and they are further limited because you can't deprive a person of adequate housing, so you have to settle the mortgage and still go to court and have hearings on what you have to give them. That's also why we don't seize cars in narcotics busts that are rentals or leases. Just wanted to give you a different perspective on how you might see it happen.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
And if you are worried about that, hook the fuse terminals directly to an old car battery or other lead acid battery... then reinstall it. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Forget that. I can’t imagine the guilt I’d feel if I thought there was even a chance I might not have hurt or killed someone had I not intentionally disabled a system designed to increase their awareness. No thanks.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
and yet, the pedestrian noise maker on EVs has not been made mandatory yet. And only within the last month has Tesla announced that they would start installing them on Model 3s.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I heard Elon plans on having fun with the regulation. As far as liability goes, noisemakers weren't federally mandated until, well, now. So 17, 18, and most if not all 19 bolts don't have to have them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pulled it right away when I got mine, and I haven't looked back. Blissfully quiet. Silence in a car is such a rare perk that I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I'm also super careful in parking lots, but the reality is that ambient noise is usually louder than the noisemaker anyway.

·
Registered
username LT
798 Posts
When I learned here that it was possible to turn it off...I did. It's just this awful sound like a near-death wheel bearing sound. I don't go around hitting people. Never have. Obviously, that's not saying I never will.
The sound helps blind people. Blind people have canes or dogs. For obvious reasons we're all very careful around them. For others, I've never hit anyone.
If one could output their own sound then it would be a hoot to have that Jetsons sound like others have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The rules of the road apply to both sides. A person, blind or not can't just stroll into traffic where it is reasonably unsafe to do so, regardless of the perceived right of way. Our state statutes specifically have wording that limits to a small degree the notion that a pedestrian has 'blind' (pun intended) right of way. Specifically, one of 5 exemptions, not including the notion of 'darting' out and into traffic; "(2) No pedestrian, bicyclist, or rider of an electric personal assistive mobility device shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk, run, or ride into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is difficult for the operator of the vehicle to yield. " The wording is such that almost any collision can be claimed to some degree one way or the other. Think like a lawyer. In any case, I do not expect anyone to truly articulate the sound of the Bolt's growler pedestrian warning speaker. I will always take due care when I am aware that pedestrian's are present. I have no desire to hit a blind person, nor for one millisecond will I ever assume that anyone can hear the growler speaker, understand it's significance, or even identify that noise as a moving vehicle. I'll take due care, and avoid Helen Keller at all costs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too pulled that fuse week one of ownership. The only other thing i can tell it effects is the chirping noises it makes when you plug it in. I guess one can also just unplug the speaker instead of the fuse. I believe the speaker is located in front of the driver's side wheel inside the bumper.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts