Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
A Siemens SG Saga

A Versacharge SG was provided as part of a pilot program started by my utility. After 3 plus weeks of Siemens stonewalling the station remains cloud connected but the Siemens website is down for now.
My story:
Versicharge SG professionally installed on 09.18.18. Startup uneventful, cloud connected until 5:00PM when Wi-Fi connection was lost. No amount of rebooting or adjustments made could reconnect until after 10:00am the next day. This situation was reported as it continued until an over the air update on 10.29.18.
Situation:
As I worked and complained with the utility. the IP, Siemens and relocated router, relocated the Siemens unit, changed Wi-Fi channel, added an extender and took the blame from Siemens the entire time.
Background:
Upon receipt and startup of the Versicharge SG it was noted that the last firmware update was dated 2015. During most of the saga firmware updates made it to 2016 then finally two 2018 updates(last one seems to be the best but now have website down).
Please note that 3 weeks into this I was told to how to register for an account with Siemens??? I was told everybody has a problem, then told I was only one with a problem. Then told to buy more expensive extender. Much Much documentation was provided by me attesting to signal strength and speed over time. Then was asked to use a different speed test app.???? Then was asked what was on the extender channel. Everything was A-Plus first class on my part except for my obnoxious persistence...
By the way it always charged my vehicle but connecting through Wi-Fi to the cloud was its main purpose for my utility.
Make your own decision on what to buy and how much to pay for the features you want.
Discussion welcomed .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the posting. My VersiCharge has tripped out twice on my BMW i3, I believe it the same issue that you reported. I charge fine initially when I get home, but the preconditioning in the morning will sometimes result in the VersiCharge tripping. Bummer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Update from my previous post. I've been happily using departure time charging for a year without issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
After experiencing the complications of a 'smart' EVSE myself I bought the inlaws a winter capable dumb EVSE. That's what I'd recommend to anyone now. They have no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 2020 Bolt in February 2020. Shortly afterward I purchased a Siemens Versacharge. Specifically following my utility's lead, as they had the unit in their shop. From the beginning I experienced fault codes 4 and later 2. In April I requested an exchange unit, hoping I had a bad unit. The fault codes continued. I rechecked all my electrical connections, consulted with my utility (I am on a load control discount service) and took my car into the dealer for check out. Despite all of this an 4 service request with Siemens, I finally gave up and requested a refund. Siemens said I had to go through Amazon (where I purchased it) I made 2 attempts at this. The first resulted in a commitment from Siemens to "look for an email" from them, that never showed up. IN the end Amazon agreed to issue a return with a $100 restocking fee. I told them this unit has NEVER performed as advertised. They did not care. For future users avoid siemens products.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
213 Posts
I have had a VC for 2+ years, used scheduled charging for about 6 months and it faulted twice. First time left me with enough to get to work, but had to spend an hour at an L2 for enough juice to get home. Second time, I happened to get an alert from myChevy app (I set the alerts up after the first fault). The alert came at 9PM, right when the schedule was due to start, and right before going to bed. I hit the power button on the VC 2X and it started immediately charging.

At this point, I decided just to use immediate charging, because my CO utility (Mtn. View Electric Coop) has a really bad TOU plan that I opted to avoid. It is attractive for off peak rates, like $.06, but peak rates are through the roof.

I tried scheduled charging again the second summer, same results (but with alerts active). So, I am back to immediate charging. I have also had it fault 2x when preconditioning.

Next year, my utility expects to have an EVSE rebate offer, and an enhanced TOU plan. I will re-assess my charging needs then, and will likely be posting my VC on eBay.

BTW, I got several snarky responses on a recent post where I mentioned this. Apparently, it is either hit or miss and works on some units, or the commenters overlooked the piece that it was failing when scheduled charging was being used, or they had not yet encountered the problem. So, thank you for validating my concern. Unfortunately, I bought mine on Amazon, it was $406 as I recall, but the return period was long past when the first fault occurred.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts