Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a juicebox charger off amazon after I got my Bolt in or around the first week or so of March, it arrived, had an electrician install the line and outlet in our garage. The unit didn't work right out of the box, it was almost impossible to get it connected to the WIFI and whenI finally did it was only charging at 8amps. On the phone with support, they diagnosed it as faulty and arranged to send a replacement. About four days later the replacement arrived, I swapped them out and everything was fine, until Tuesday this week. I get up to go to work, see the car had not charged over night, I shrug it off, I'll look into it when I get home, I had enough battery to get to work and back. I get home, and plug the car in and the car shows a message 'unable to charge'. Hmm. That is odd, so I do some troubleshooting, plug in the 120v charger that came with the car, it works fine. Get on the phone with support again and they are stumped, everything looks good, but the there is no voltage flowing through the charger. I email the contact at support from the first case and they tell me to try three things, the My Chevy app, the old charger and then the new charger again, nothing works. I email support back Wednesday evening to report my findings, I hear nothing from them Thursday or Friday. In the meantime I have to visit local public chargers to charge which is inconvenient to say the least. Really disappointed in Juicebox, not hearing anything after two days has really made me feel like they don't care.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
if you had an adapter for the Bolt's EVSE you could have tried plugging it into the 240V outlet to double check it. does the JuiceBox report back good inlet power? If one leg of the circuit is down (e.g. loose connection), it's possible the JuiceBox uses the other 120V leg to look like it's powered but can't charge.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Went through two faulty ones in under a year. Settled for a partial refund, rather than try a third. Bought a Tesla Gen 2 mobile unit, and a J1772 adapter. Small, simple, works perfectly. Like everything about Tesla, they are about five years ahead of everything else. Unfortunately, they appear to be sold out on the Tesla website.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes everything was reporting back normal from the JB, disconcerting to hear others have had similar issues. Not sure where I stand in terms of a refund as my return window with Amazon closed a month ago. The other thing is the outlet I had installed for this charger seems much less popular when I went on Amazon.ca's website to look for alternatives, although I understand it's not too difficult to change the outlet.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you look on Amazon, you'll find that the JuiceBox Pro 40 is the number 1 best selling EVSE and has more reviews than any other, with an overall 4.5 star rating.

If you think you see a lot of reports on-line about problems with the JuiceBox Pro, I'd put that mostly down to it being the most widely used one. Perhaps not every single time, but at least some of the time when people have problems it turns out that it was actually an issue with their wiring and the JuiceBox Pro wasn't the culprit at all.

FWIW, I've had one for 1.5 years and not had any problems.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
It seems to me I hear a lot of stories of the JuiceBox not working right, or failing. I don't know if there's a single failure prone part, or what.

These things should be stinking reliable though because there isn't a whole lot to them. They aren't cheap either, so there shouldn't be any skimping out on component quality.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My Juice Box has been totally reliable. It is over one year old at this point. It charges a Miev and a Bolt, with not even a sign of incompatibility.

I got it because of reviews like my own. But, I did have a real professional double check and install a 14-50 on the wall. Thus, I plug in the Juice Box. It is simple to ever reset, since it is plugged in. *Only did that during an initial setup.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It seems to me I hear a lot of stories of the JuiceBox not working right, or failing. I don't know if there's a single failure prone part, or what.

These things should be stinking reliable though because there isn't a whole lot to them. They aren't cheap either, so there shouldn't be any skimping out on component quality.
And I hear lots of stories about how you've got to change the Bolt's transmission fluid every year otherwise who-knows-what might happen and how you must not charge the Bolt to 100% or you'll ruin the battery and how you can't DC fast charge a Bolt because the charging stations are ICEd or broken.

The fact that you can find plenty of people on-line saying a thing doesn't mean it's what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The fact that you can find plenty of people on-line saying a thing doesn't mean it's what everyone thinks.
online feedback has a distinctively bimodal distribution. Folks either love something or they hate it. If it was "very good" or "as expected" or " the price was reasonable" they didn't bother to post, after all they received what they expected, just not noteworthy. The vast majority of JuiceBox owners are very happy and using it daily, emotorwerks has built and sold many of them...

I am however sorry the OP is frustrated and potentially got defective units...

·
Registered
558 Posts
I’ve had my JuiceBox 40 for over a year, I plug in daily and juice up about 15-17kWh daily. No issues ever.

I’m with @XJ12 - I’d try to check the wiring and see if everything’s up to snuff in that department especially since you’ve been through 2 already.

·
Registered
173 Posts
online feedback has a distinctively bimodal distribution. Folks either love something or they hate it. If it was "very good" or "as expected" or " the price was reasonable" they didn't bother to post, after all they received what they expected, just not noteworthy. The vast majority of JuiceBox owners are very happy and using it daily, emotorwerks has built and sold many of them...

I am however sorry the OP is frustrated and potentially got defective units...
What matters to me is WHEN something goes wrong how quickly a company fixes the issue. Especially with something pretty mission critical like being able to recharge your car.

Failure rate aside, the response from Emotorwerks doesn't sound ideal here.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Juicebox is among my top contenders for when my modified Leaf EVSE no longer cuts it. Still, I see a lot more reports about failed JuiceBoxes than anything else, and it's unclear to me if that's because they are most common, or if there is something in particular prone to failure. That still isn't clear to me either.

My assumption is that they are fairly reliable, otherwise people wouldn't buy them. Perhaps I've just run across more failure stories than is representative of the EVSE market as a whole.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been really happy with our Juicebox Pro 40. Mine is the portable one with the Nema 14-50 plug. We've had it on camping trips and I'm constantly plugging it in and unplugging it at our apartment complex, so it moves a lot. Bought it at the end of 2017, before they were acquired. There was a guy on the facebook Chevy Bolt Owners Group, who may have worked for them, who was really responsive to questions. I'm not sure if he's still there as I'm not on facebook anymore. Again, this was all before being acquired by Enel. Though that may have nothing to do with newer versions of the hardware, which one would thing would be improving.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
It was my understanding that JuiceBox was an open source design, and that everything from complete products, to individual components could be purchased to create your own. Is it purely a consumer product now?

I'd like to see a community put together an open source EVSE with various features and source the lowest price quality components. Something a DIYer could follow, and decide which features are important enough to include so it meets all their requirements and budget.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I'd like to see a community put together an open source EVSE with various features and source the lowest price quality components. Something a DIYer could follow, and decide which features are important enough to include so it meets all their requirements and budget.
The nice thing about DIY kits is that if it breaks you probably have a pretty good idea how to go about figuring out what's wrong and fixing it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It was my understanding that JuiceBox was an open source design, and that everything from complete products, to individual components could be purchased to create your own. Is it purely a consumer product now?

See www.openevse.com.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 2 JuiceBox Pro 40's (one at home in Denver and one at our condo in the mountains) and both have been working flawlessly for a long time. Across all brands, the vast majority of failures are due to the electrician, not the EVSE. The JuiceBox is built with high quality components, well above industry standard, is UL listed, CE, NEMA, and SAE compliant, and EESS rated, and is the brand that Costco has selected, which I think is worth something. At our condo in the mountains, our JuiceBox is outside year round, buried in snow half the year, rained on the other half, and sees temperatures of -20 degrees F, and it works flawlessly and always has. I'd get a second electrician to take a look at what you're supplying it if you've had two fail...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts