Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I contacted Enel X NA technical support and talked to a very knowledgeable tech today. My first unit purchased October of 17 is being replaced under the 3 year warranty as it has failed. The newer unit has not failed. The newer unit is tripping the GFI breaker because it has it's own built-in GF protection and does not need a GFI breaker (According to the tech). The tech says that installing the JuiceBox on a GFI breaker will cause the breaker to trip frequently (as I am experiencing). The solution to that issue is to either replace the GFI breaker with a standard breaker or install the hard wired product instead.

With all that said there really are no common variables here. My two units are installed in different geographic locations, one is indoors and the other outdoors, different electricians installed each of the units, etc. The only thing that is common is the vehicle.

The unit that failed has done 5646.0 kWh total . The newer unit installed in Jan of this year has charged 1673.5 kWh total . Like I said the newer unit doesn't seem to be built as well to me. Also Enel X charges you $200 deposit to ship you a replacement. Better than having to pay for a new charger though. I am just happy the unit was still under warranty.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I contacted Enel X NA technical support and talked to a very knowledgeable tech today. My first unit purchased October of 17 is being replaced under the 3 year warranty as it has failed. The newer unit has not failed. The newer unit is tripping the GFI breaker because it has it's own built-in GF protection and does not need a GFI breaker (According to the tech). The tech says that installing the JuiceBox on a GFI breaker will cause the breaker to trip frequently (as I am experiencing). The solution to that issue is to either replace the GFI breaker with a standard breaker or install the hard wired product instead.

With all that said there really are no common variables here. My two units are installed in different geographic locations, one is indoors and the other outdoors, different electricians installed each of the units, etc. The only thing that is common is the vehicle.

The unit that failed has done 5646.0 kWh total . The newer unit installed in Jan of this year has charged 1673.5 kWh total . Like I said the newer unit doesn't seem to be built as well to me. Also Enel X charges you $200 deposit to ship you a replacement. Better than having to pay for a new charger though. I am just happy the unit was still under warranty.
I installed a hardwired JuiceBox specifically to avoid this problem. It will become a major headache for Enel X (and maybe others), as municipalities start to adopt the latest NEC, which requires GFCI on all circuits feeding receptacles used for an esve.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey 240vplug - did they charge You $100 for the 3 warranty replacement or was it Free? Also, are they sending You a newer style unit with the plastic looking housing and big LED strip? Let us know how well it works when You get it?
PS I am also offered a new unit under warranty but they also claim I need to pay $100 update fee - non refundable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know what they are sending me. I assume they will send me a refurbished unit. They charged me $200 for a deposit to do the advanced replacement. They will refund the $200 once they receive my defective unit back. I'll come back and let you folks know how this turns out. I had less then 4 months of warranty left and I'm happy to let them hold $200 for a couple weeks to get a working charger...but if the replacement fails I will not be replacing it again and I will get something other than a JuiceBox. With that said the support experience was very positive though.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It's too bad You don't know what they are sending You. The offer they gave me was an additional $100 out of my pocket for the newer style unit. My guess is the competition for these chargers is heating up and they have a lot of new style units and aren't selling a lot as they had planned. I will guess You'll get a 40 amp unit with the new housing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
They sent me a refurbished unit that I am very disappointed with. I contacted them to let them know I am not happy. My unit was in perfect condition and they sent me a unit that looks to have quite a bit of wear and tear.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts