Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bay Area will go for blackout for 5 days due to high winds, this is unprecedented.

Question, is there a way to use Bolt's batary as a home power suplly?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
This is discussed at length.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The entire "recipe" of inverter, wires, clamps, & fuses has been described. Tying the 110VAC back into a sub-panel and the use of extension cords to vital appliances has been covered. One of our Forum members powered his house for 5 days during the CA wildfire power outage in 2017.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm in the Bay Area. At my house (my work will be unaffected), my power's supposed to go at noon. Could be out for days. :( I've already got and tested my inverter setup. Works great. Has been able to start and run my fridge.

I'm still hoping that there's some way I can bypass the stupid 1 or 2 hour shutdown w/o having to leave the car in neutral (w/parking brake on). I'd feel much safer if it were in park. I may have "time" to experiment because of this when I'm at home w/the power out.

Right now, it seems like I should be able to do this (but uses N): put the car into READY from the driver's side. Close door. Enter from passenger side. Use metal rod to push brake pedal so I can shift into N (w/parking brake on). Exit from passenger side and close door. My car will be inside my secured garage.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm in the Bay Area. At my house (my work will be unaffected), my power's supposed to go at noon. Could be out for days. :( I've already got and tested my inverter setup. Works great. Has been able to start and run my fridge.

I'm still hoping that there's some way I can bypass the stupid 1 or 2 hour shutdown w/o having to leave the car in neutral (w/parking brake on). I'd feel much safer if it were in park. I may have "time" to experiment because of this when I'm at home w/the power out.

Right now, it seems like I should be able to do this (but uses N): put the car into READY from the driver's side. Close door. Enter from passenger side. Use metal rod to push brake pedal so I can shift into N (w/parking brake on). Exit from passenger side and close door. My car will be inside my secured garage.
If you work at Facebook, valet will DCFC your car while you are at work. When you get home, you can empty your EV battery to your heart's desire - just make sure you have enough juice to get to work tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
^^^^
I do not. We have no DC FCs at work but we do have free L2. Luckily, I don't live that far from work. There are 2 DC FCs near work that were cheap for awhile then free then back to charging a reasonable amount but they might be free again.

Power went out at 11:58 pm on 10/9. Don't know how many days it'll be out. :(

There are also two paid EVgo DC FCs about 5 miles from home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bay Area will go for blackout for 5 days due to high winds, this is unprecedented.

Question, is there a way to use Bolt's batary as a home power suplly?
The problem with using a Bolt for a power supply is that the electricity can energize part of the grid causing a huge safety issue for linemen. I have a solar system and when the power goes out my system starts a rapid shutdown. You have to have separate circuits that are completely isolated from the grid to use the Bolt as a power source in an outage. Islanding

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yes, you can use the Bolt as a home emergency power supply. I've rigged mine to do just that. My Volt, too. Search for a thread titled "emergency backup" or some such. There's been much written about it here already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts