Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm contemplating taking apart my driver seat to see if I can add more cushion to the back lumbar support area. I've seen the video on youtube already on adding cushion to the bottom seat cushion. But the bottom cushion isn't my problem.
It's the incredibly thin lumbar area. I bought one of those lumbar support memory foam pillow things. While it helps, it's not the most convenient and clean solution.

Since it's in such close proximity to the driver side airbag. I wanted to know where I can safely disconnect the battery so the airbag doesn't prematurely explode on me.

On a normal car I would just disconnect the negative battery terminal. Not sure if that would work in this case.

I know there is an area below the back seat cushion area. Checked and this is what it looks like the orange battery pictured.

Checked the owner's and I couldn't find anything about that.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think that is the emergency main traction battery disconnect. All EVs have one to safe the vehicle for first responders who have to cut people out of the vehicle, kills all the HVDC lines, even if the main relay is malfunctioning.

If you remove the orange piece, invert it, and replace it, it starts a 60 second countdown to the self-destruct function. Useful for alien infestation.

·
Registered
786 Posts
All of the basic electric circuits in any vehicle, including the Chevy Bolt EV, use the standard 12 VDC battery. Just disconnect the negative cable from that one. Don't touch that orange key which disconnects the main HVDC traction battery that is under the floor. If you pull that, you may need a visit to your Chevy dealer to restore your Bolt EV back to normal.

Now that you know what and where it is, just remember to pull that only if you or any Bolt EV driver gets involved in a serious accident.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frank: Thanks I have my tin-foil hat and ray gun ready to go! :)

Ray: Thanks for the tip I'll go digging into the driver's seat later.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Don't forget us! Please document and report back! For Science!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
281 Posts
Confirm, just pull the negative terminal off the 12v battery. I've done it a few times while removing and disassembling my seats. When the car comes back up check your charging settings, some of them will be reset. It's strange what keeps and what doesn't, but it's always the same settings that get lost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.