Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason some people are having pain in the left hip area is there is literally a bolt sticking 1.5” into the left hip. There is no bolt on the right side. I followed the instructions from forums to insert foam in the seat and found the bolt. My guess is there was a production line error where some vehicles had a too large bolt added on the left. I’m going to contact GM about this and try to get their attention. There is no reason to have the threads of a bolt stick 1.5” into the cushion.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually you don't even need to disassemble the seat to find the bolts! On the driver's side feel in between the plastic and the fabric just to the left of the A in Airbag. On the passenger's side just to the right of the G in Airbag.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
I hope that's all it is that's giving people fits, but I doubt it. Anyhow, in your case it's an easy fix! It does look like a case of the wrong hardware during assembly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I removed the bolt with a T30 star head driver bit. It’s a M6x1.0 thread pattern. The inch long bolt only holds very thin plastic to thin metal which is why the entire bolt sticks through. The funny thing is the entire length is covered in thread lock. I’m going to drive without the bolt for a while since it doesn’t seem to do much.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
(...) Anyhow, in your case it's an easy fix! It does look like a case of the wrong hardware during assembly.
Checked my seats, and I have the same long bolt sticking out, both on the driver and passenger side. It doesn't look like the wrong hardware was used. I am not sure the bolt has a critical impact on confort, BUT it is right there, just where it is cramped, so like k0an I removed it to experiment for a week.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Huh, I'll have to look for this. My issue was numbing of the leg on the right side, sometimes the left, depending on how I centered myself in the seat. Shame you didn't find on on the right edge of the driver's seat. That would've been nice to find and test for in regards to my numb right leg. Thank you for documenting this!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Huh, I'll have to look for this. My issue was numbing of the leg on the right side, sometimes the left, depending on how I centered myself in the seat. Shame you didn't find on on the right edge of the driver's seat. That would've been nice to find and test for in regards to my numb right leg. Thank you for documenting this!
If you open up the seat you'll see there are a ton of bolts sticking out on both sides. Not as far as this one but they all contribute to discomfort. It's just an incredibly poorly designed seat.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Lower the seat and it will reduce the weight on your legs. Most people crank the seat up to high
and it causes them to have this issue. Your knees should be bent upwards when setting in the seat
to release the pressure from the weight of your legs at the front of the seat.

Don't have a fit. Just try it! >:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lower the seat and it will reduce the weight on your legs. Most people crank the seat up to high
and it causes them to have this issue. Your knees should be bent upwards when setting in the seat
to release the pressure from the weight of your legs at the front of the seat.

Don't have a fit. Just try it! >:)
My seat has always been lowered all the way down since I'm tall. If you see the latest Motor Trend long term update on the Bolt you'll notice they also talk about the glutes being pinched by the side bolsters. It's a very common complain.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I did have my seat lowered to the bottom. Unfortunately, still numb right leg. The pinching is occurring I think closer to the rear of the seat so lowering my butt so it's below my knees didn't help at all. Once I raised the center of the seat using folded jeans and a 12V cooling seat cover, the numbing went away. Even when I raised the seat up for better height (1/2 way to max seat height) I didn't have numb leg anymore.

Oh, I also didn't find the Bolt in either the driver or passenger seats. Checked both the outside and inside edges for it. See my sig for my build date and VIN # for possible manufacturing date clues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did have my seat lowered to the bottom. Unfortunately, still numb right leg. The pinching is occurring I think closer to the rear of the seat so lowering my butt so it's below my knees didn't help at all. Once I raised the center of the seat using folded jeans and a 12V cooling seat cover, the numbing went away. Even when I raised the seat up for better height (1/2 way to max seat height) I didn't have numb leg anymore.

Oh, I also didn't find the Bolt in either the driver or passenger seats. Checked both the outside and inside edges for it. See my sig for my build date and VIN # for possible manufacturing date clues.
Yeah the thing toward the back of the seat that causes the legs to go numb is how the side bolsters taper in back there. If you read the latest Motor Trend where they talk about their long term test update the reviewer complains about it:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...17-chevrolet-bolt-ev-update-3-dislike-button/

When you added padding you raised yourself above the bolsters. I've done the same thing by inserting foam into the seat. I can still feel them a little though so I'll probably go back to using my pad as well. I just hate being so tall in the seat that the rear view mirror no longer works and I feel like I'm rolling out of the seat going around corners.

Very interesting that yours didn't have the long bolt. So weird that they randomly used extra long ones.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I just hate being so tall in the seat that the rear view mirror no longer works and I feel like I'm rolling out of the seat going around corners.
The view through the mirror (and I'm talking about the optical mirror, not the camera "mirror") depends on the position of the mirror, not the position of the driver. I'm not sure if it works like this on the Bolt, but the mirrors on my other cars have two ball joints on the rod that holds them - one at the attachment point on the roof and one on the back of the mirror. This means you can actually raise or lower the mirror a few inches. You might try doing that to see if it improves your view.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The view through the mirror (and I'm talking about the optical mirror, not the camera "mirror") depends on the position of the mirror, not the position of the driver. I'm not sure if it works like this on the Bolt, but the mirrors on my other cars have two ball joints on the rod that holds them - one at the attachment point on the roof and one on the back of the mirror. This means you can actually raise or lower the mirror a few inches. You might try doing that to see if it improves your view.
Not available in this car. If I had the camera mirror it wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Huh, I thought the Bolt rearview mirror had two ball joints just like the Gen 2 Volt. I can confirm the Gen 2 Volt had them, though, they didn't help raise the mirror higher since it was already set to highest.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Today, I found that the mirror does have the two ball joints. I'm so glad that I checked. With the two joints, I was able to raise the mirror at least 1/2 an inch. Doesn't sound like much, but for me it removed the annoying reflection I was getting while using the LCD mode. The reflection was so bad, that I had the mirror turned down and towards me to minimize the reflection. Doing this, prevented an easy switch back to the normal mirror as it was just a view of the back seat. Now with the mirror raised higher, I can have the mirror and LCD at the same setting with no annoying reflection on the LCD.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Today, I found that the mirror does have the two ball joints. I'm so glad that I checked. With the two joints, I was able to raise the mirror at least 1/2 an inch. Doesn't sound like much, but for me it removed the annoying reflection I was getting while using the LCD mode. The reflection was so bad, that I had the mirror turned down and towards me to minimize the reflection. Doing this, prevented an easy switch back to the normal mirror as it was just a view of the back seat. Now with the mirror raised higher, I can have the mirror and LCD at the same setting with no annoying reflection on the LCD.
raising the mirror doesn't help in the premier though, the sensor cluster is still in my line of sight. sucks being tall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts