Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting a used Bolt. I'm fairly familiar with gas cars, but never have gone full electric. Many articles like this one state maintenance is a lot lower for EVs (including the Bolt) than with gas. What do current owners pay per year for maintenance on your Bolt?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I do all my own maintenance, and modern ICE require very little, at least in the first 100k miles. Oil change once a year and knock the dust out of the air filters. At 10 years I'll replace coolant, gear oil, brake fluid and possibly spark plugs. Accessory belt probably needs to be done sometime around 10 years too. Pretty easy and relatively inexpensive.

An EV avoids all of the above maintenance with exception of the cabin air filter and brake fluid. You're still going to have tire rotations, tire replacements, wiper inserts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
EVs burn through tires faster than gas cars but other than that its just rotate tires, switch out the cabin filter every once and awhile and once in a long long time (150,000 miles) change out the cooling fluid. Brakes last a lot longer because of regenerative breaking. I love not having oil changes etc.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I'm at over 125,000 miles, and I'm still likely 6 months or more away from my first scheduled maintenance. I'm on my second set of tires, but the brake pads still look brand new. I've probably gone through five or six gallons of wiper fluid. I'm on my second set of wiper blades, and I'm a couple of cabin air filters in. Other than that, I can't really think of any maintenance items.

I've seen about 8% battery degradation from when I first bought it. I replaced a cracked windshield, and I will eventually need to replace the front grill and bumper due to impacts. Otherwise, the car still feels brand new. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm going on 3 years in with my off lease FIAT 500e. Changed the tires. Changed the wipers. That's it so far.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
After 3 years and 33K miles...one gallon of windshield washer fluid, three annual state inspections, rotate my own tires so bought TPMS reset tool for $21.59, lube hinges and latches...already had lube...adjust headlights lower myself.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I've owned a 2011 Leaf since it was new. It's been to the dealer twice. Both were the free status checks. It's still on its original tires (25,000 miles), but I'll be forced to replace them because of age cracking. I've put in wiper fluid and replaced wiper blades.

It hasn't seen a service bay in eight years, and still runs like new.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tires have been the only real "routine maintenance" expense for us in 3.5 years of Bolt driverdom. Never so much as a notable moment on our many road trips in the 2017, but for some reason our local roads are festooned with nails and other detritus. We had three punctures, two of which required a replacement, one of which we did at the same time as a tire rotation if I recall. Anyway, that added around $500 in the maintenance column for new boots and labor.

We also handed $250 or so to the dealership for replacing a rear seatbelt assembly on our 2017 Premier, but that went in the "New Pet Ownership" column of the accounts, not vehicular maintenance.

So, yes, I'd say our EV experience has been very low maintenance and minimal running costs so far, albeit in the safety zone of the warranty period.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm at 29,500 miles at 37 months with my 2017 Premier. One of the first delivered in Tucson. Never left me stranded, at the dealer once for a software update (no charge). Just this morning, completed a deal for a 2020 Bolt Premier, not because of any problems.

Ron

Reactions: ButchAZ

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
124 Posts
I have only had the Bolt since February. I off-loaded a 2013 Chevy Volt to get the Bolt.

The following is for the VOLT:

The Volt wore-out tires at 50k miles. Rotation happened twice.

The brake pads and rotors looked like a 3K mile ICE car when I parted with it at 65k. I always drove it in “L” ( max regeneration).

The Volt’s ICE range extender got the “change oil” indicator at 2 years. That is the max. Had I had more miles provided by the range extender it would have indicated oil change sooner. 3 oil changes in 7 years.

Nothing else was replaced/seviced (including the 7 year-old 12 volt battery) EXCEPT wiper blades , cabin filter, and washer fluid as needed

The hatchback gas struts wouldn’t hold it up anymore at 60k miles. I replaced them myself.

That’s it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What do current owners pay per year for maintenance on your Bolt?
Zero! Impossible for anything to be lower maintenance. Our 2017 Bolt has required zero maintenance; never been back to the dealer or into any other shop.

jack vines

·
Registered
225 Posts
I assume it's going to be even better than my electric motorcycle (a Zero). After 4 years on the motorcycle, I've done nothing but brakes and tires. I assume the Bolt will never need new brakes due to driving in L, and the tires should go 4x as long as on the motorcycle. This is really awesome stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
... I assume the Bolt will never need new brakes due to driving in L, ...
Driving in L or in D will have no difference in Brake pad wear if the decel forces are the same.
In fact you can get more regen using the brake pedal.
The Brake pad don't start working until Regen is maxed out.

Reactions: dcp123

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I've seen about 8% battery degradation from when I first bought it. I replaced a cracked windshield, and I will eventually need to replace the front grill and bumper due to impacts. Otherwise, the car still feels brand new. :ROFLMAO:
Wow, you should update your degradation thread. Your first post had you at about 1% loss per 8,000 miles, but now you're at about twice as many miles per % battery decline. At this rate you'll be at 10% total degradation at 160,000 miles. Not too shabby.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Wow, you should update your degradation thread. Your first post had you at about 1% loss per 8,000 miles, but now you're at about twice as many miles per % battery decline. At this rate you'll be at 10% total degradation at 160,000 miles. Not too shabby.
Yes, I've made a couple of update videos since, I believe, so I'll definitely have to revisit that thread. It looks like the degradation has slowed (and I started using Hilltop Reserve most of the time starting about the second year).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I live in Eureka, California. For years there have been at least a dozen homebuilt electric car conversions around here, I'm guessing they were lead-acid storage.They each had the word "electric" in some prominent way on the car. Now I just realized I have seen them in five years or so. I'd guess they enjoyed low maintenance as well.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
EVs burn through tires faster than gas cars but other than that its just rotate tires, switch out the cabin filter every once and awhile and once in a long long time (150,000 miles) change out the cooling fluid. Brakes last a lot longer because of regenerative breaking. I love not having oil changes etc.
My OEM tires lasted 57,000 miles and would have made 60 it road debris hadn't taken one of them out. The OEM tires make little to no noise when spinning on pavement, and if you don't modulat your accelerator pedal you will burn through a set of tires in half that number of miles.

Keith

·
Registered
276 Posts
My OEM tires lasted 57,000 miles and would have made 60 it road debris hadn't taken one of them out. The OEM tires make little to no noise when spinning on pavement, and if you don't modulat your accelerator pedal you will burn through a set of tires in half that number of miles.

Keith
congrats, I think the average for this site is about 30-35K for the OEMs based on memory. replaced min at about 32-33k. I probably could have gone another 5K but they were getting pretty slippery in the rain.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Basically the Bolt does away with all of the standard engine related items such as checking oil and transmission fluid levels, changing the oil and oil filter, adjusting timing belt tension, changing the engine air cleaner and spark plugs, maintenance of the exhaust system, and that sort of thing. And it pretty much eliminates brake wear, so you can expect the brake pads and rotors to last practically forever as long as you don't drive too crazily.

But it's still subject to most of the other normal maintenance items such as brake fluid changes, tire wear and rotation, cabin air filter, etc. And there are plenty of items like air conditioners, radiators, suspension and steering components, etc. that might very well require repair or replacement if you own the car long enough.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts