Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone!
I've decided on the Sun Country Highway EV40 (this is what the Clipper Creek HCS40 is sold as in Canada) to install on the outside of my garage. Not sure what my electrician will say re: plug-in vs hardwired, but I am open to either. Looking at my options, however, I've now seen that the company now offers an "R" version of the above EVSE -- R for rugged, that is.

Does anyone have any experience with this model? Would it be worth the slightly higher cost? I'm in southern Ontario, so the winters are not too bad relative to other parts of Canada, but the temps in my neck of the woods do regularly go below freezing and freezing rain is a common occurrence.

Any advice most welcome! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The operating temperature of both units are -22°F to 122°F (-30°C to +50°C). The regular HCS40 is rated for inside/outside. I would just get the regular version. I would also hardwire it if it is on the outside of your garage. Someone could just unplug and walk away with your $600 unit...

·
Registered
57 Posts
The connector on the R version is a much tighter mold, minimal gap between the electrical connector assembly and the handle assembly.

Jeff

Edit: The R version also has a field replaceable latch. After some thought, I think this means if you break the piece of plastic that latches the handle to your car, you can replace just the latch.

·
Registered
782 Posts
if the incremental cost is manageable - a rugged will defiantly hold up better - it would be pity to go out one cold morning and find the non rugged version had failed and now you have to do without a charger while we figure out what broken on the current version.

EVSE's are like 10-15 year purchases - the cost difference is probably minimal amortized across 10 years - and the install costs are indentical - it's probably cheap insurance to have a little beefier EVSE especially if it's going to be outside - they don't make the R version for no reason - the company must have some experience that it hold up better.

·
Registered
782 Posts
comments from the site for the non-R version

"Recommended for indoor use, rated for indoor/outdoor (weatherproof receptacle cover required for outdoor installation)"

no limits about outdoor use in the description of the "R" version...

the EV40P is $779, and the EV40R is $799 - splurge on the R version ;-)

personally I'd get the EV60 and be ready for my next EV which may charge at up to 48 amps (which the 60 can support) - but it's $180 more and the Bolt can only charge at 32 amps.

·
Registered
57 Posts

"Recommended for indoor use, rated for indoor/outdoor (weatherproof receptacle cover required for outdoor installation)"

personally I'd get the EV60 and be ready for my next EV which may charge at up to 48 amps (which the 60 can support) - but it's $180 more and the Bolt can only charge at 32 amps.

In some areas the hard wired version may be required by code for outdoor use. I have installed a lock on the plug housing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Since it's a minimal cost difference I'd just go with the R, however I use a HCS-40 which is at a state park which is right on the coast. The EVSE is a few hundred yards from the water, so it gets hit with storms, sun, wind etc - and they didn't even install the holster holder. Never failed yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is all very helpful... thank you very much!

That's interesting, in terms of "recommended for indoor use." The Plug N' Drive centre site (an EV education centre outside of Toronto, where you can test drive various cars and learn about all things EV), where I was doing most of my research, didn't get into that level of detail. The price difference in Canada is about $150 between the two versions, but I see your point in terms of amortizing over the life of the charger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts