Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other cars have AA, but I've never gotten around to setting it up. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I just connect my phone via Bluetooth, so I can make/receive calls, and listen to music that's stored on the phone, or from YouTube. I also have music on a USB stick. If I want to use navigation, Google Maps on the phone is fine, the turn by turn directions are read out loud over the car's speakers. So for my use, what does AA do that I don't already have? I think to get AA going, I need to download some app on the phone and connect the phone to the car with a USB cable.
Thanks,

·
Registered
87 Posts
Google Maps or Waze on the big screen is MUCH better than any phone screen. There are also dozens of news, music, podcast, messaging, audio book, and other apps that will run via the big screen. Just search "Apps that run on Android Auto".

Even if you never use anything beyond a map app, it's still worth it to me. And while any distracted driving is not desirable, navigation of apps on the big screen seems easier than focusing on small touch screen. The Google Voice Assistant on AA handles some search and Nav functions (as does your phone), which can help by reading texts or messages and allow you to dictate a response without ever taking your eyes off the road.

I love AA and wouldn't want a car that doesn't support it. 'Looking forward to a wireless (Bluetooth or WiFi) version as the USB connection can be the weakest link.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Being able to use Radio Paradise for audio, with steering wheel controls over volume and track skipping, PLUS having podcasts, Waze, Google Maps and other things right there on the dash?

It's a luxury, but one I am very thankful for. Not necessary to run the car, but wonderful to have.

It's also easy to switch to the Bolt home screen to check stats, then quickly switch back to AA by holding down the Home Button for a few seconds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's great, and trivial to set up: just find it on Google Play and install it.

It'll come up on the display when you plug in via USB. Then when you want to go somewhere, hold the microphone button for 3 seconds and say something like "navigate to 7-Eleven on Third Street", or "navigate home". You never have to handle the phone or look at it, just leave it in the charger bay.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Before the latest AA update I had all but given up on the speech-to-text(ing) feature on AA.
I did re-try it a few days ago out of necessity and they have made major improvements in the accuracy of the transcription. It's actually usable now and a great asset to have available... especially if you're waiting for an important text message to arrive.

Okay Google... get messages
Okay Google... send a message

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I love Android Auto - I plug my phone in for every drive (I have a 6-inch cable that's shaped itself over time so that the plug is right next to the phone jack when it's in the pocket) and use it for maps and music. I especially like being able to use the voice assistant to control things, make queries ("what's the weather"?, "when does Romer's close?" "When was so-and-so born?") and for hands-free reading and sending of text messages.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like AA for navigation, especially when going through an unfamiliar area or to a new location. I run it in offline mode by turning off mobile data on my phone so as to save on data charges. I've downloaded a number of offline maps in Google Maps to cover my entire state and parts neighboring states. That way I don't need to be concerned about cell coverage or data fees while still preserving all street and location details. But, if I want to go to a new location, I need to type in the location rather than using voice control. Usually only a small inconvenience. What is important with using AA is that voice directions are loud enough to be easily heard while driving, whereas the volume level of my unconnected phone isn't high enough to be useful. On a recent trip passing through an unfamiliar small city, AA easily guided me through the multiple turns necessary. Without AA, I would have had to study maps and write myself notes to do that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all, I'll try it out this weekend. So everytime I plug in the phone with the USB cable, AA starts automatically? Or will I need to open the AA app on the phone first, then plug the phone in? Or vice versa?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Thanks all, I'll try it out this weekend. So everytime I plug in the phone with the USB cable, AA starts automatically? Or will I need to open the AA app on the phone first, then plug the phone in? Or vice versa?
You have to install it on your phone first, once it's installed (which will guide you through all of the configuration stuff) then you just have to plug it in and it'll start up automatically. If it doesn't show up on the infotainment screen, or if you've switched the screen to something else and you want to switch back to AA, then press and hold the "Home" button below the screen for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Google Maps or Waze on the big screen is MUCH better than any phone screen. There are also dozens of news, music, podcast, messaging, audio book, and other apps that will run via the big screen. Just search "Apps that run on Android Auto".

Even if you never use anything beyond a map app, it's still worth it to me. And while any distracted driving is not desirable, navigation of apps on the big screen seems easier than focusing on small touch screen. The Google Voice Assistant on AA handles some search and Nav functions (as does your phone), which can help by reading texts or messages and allow you to dictate a response without ever taking your eyes off the road.

I love AA and wouldn't want a car that doesn't support it. 'Looking forward to a wireless (Bluetooth or WiFi) version as the USB connection can be the weakest link.
Is Bluetooth streaming coming? When?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dude! I just got Android Auto working since getting my first smartphone. Have had the Bolt 18 months. It's awesome! I was grousing about the Bolt not having built in nav, but now I can see why. I don't even have cell phone service on this phone, it's just an internet device for finding charging stations. And, if you're not forking out for Sirius, you can play or stream music from your phone. I'm stoked about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2 Nexus 7 (2013) deb tablets with 4G/LTE cellular connectivity. I have paired them with Bluetooth to my 2019 Bolt LT. I modified an old tablet case and installed a sticky magnet plate. I attached a Wizgear Magnetic Car Mount bar-like device to the 2 or 3 blank buttons under the display. Android Auto automatically loads on the tablet when I power the car on. I select the specific tablet from Setting > Devices, start a podcast on the tablet, select the specific tablet from Audio > Source. The podcast plays on the infotainment system and I switch to Google maps on the tablet. It's very cool and completely wireless. Using a USB cable is nuts. See attached

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
Jhford
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing