Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seriously considering applying for an MSRP swap for our 2021 Bolt (for hopefully a 2023 Bolt which is lower MSRP than our 2021.)

Read some posts here about (a) it can be done and (b) it can be tedious and slow.
And sometimes is done under lemon law provisions.

I made contact with one of the many lemon law lawyers.
Amar Law Group Reviews, Ratings | Legal Services near 7001 N Scottsdale Rd , Scottsdale AZ United States .
One of their lawyers gave me his sales pitch.
Basically it is "We've handled dozens of Bolt by-back claims with 100% success. We can do yours. You could do it yourself, but we'll do it quicker.. likely 990 [whoop鈥hat was my typo馃檮. It's "90" ] days... and you won't hardly have to lift a finger. And i won't cost you anything because lemon law makes the automaker pay your lawyer's costs. Antd yes, we can do the MSRP swap version rather than the buyout if that's what you want."

Well that sounds like a no-brainer and I'm likely to do it with them after I read the fine print.
But I'm curious if anyone has input on the DIY swap vs this lawyer assisted route?

Alex

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Filed mine Nov last year. New car June this year + cash for msrp difference. Never spoke once to a lawyer. But you do you.
Wait, wait. Did they give you cash for the difference or require you come up with cash for the difference?
Not that either one would dissuade me from going for the swap. But curious.

And curious鈥hat did you swap for! Another Bolt..or?

Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
Wait, wait. Did they give you cash for the difference or require you come up with cash for the difference?
Not that either one would dissuade me from going for the swap. But curious.

And curious鈥hat did you swap for! Another Bolt..or?
Bought 2020 Bolt Premium in Oct 2020 for $26,500
Initiated Trade Repurchase after GM 50' fiasco in Nov 2021 (9,500 miles on car)
Placed order for 2022 Bolt 2 LT as replacement end of Dec. 2021
Received final offer letter prior to delivery in May 2022 with an MSRP Difference of ~$6,500
Finalized the swap in June 2022 and received a fully optioned BEV 2LT + a check for ~$6,500 (MSRP Difference) and a check for Tag / Tax of ~$1,500 (17,000 miles on car)
July 2022 Submitted form waive my right to sue GM for the battery fiasco and my first born male child etc etc etc in exchange for another $4,500. Jokes on them, done having kids and never had any boys!

So to sum it all up I have a 2022 Bolt EV 2 LT for effectively $14,000. You did it Mary!
But it is in the shop to have the door alignment fixed and one door repainted so they did screw me there.
Oh, and I guess it is possible I might be able to claim the Federal Tax Rebate of $7,500 for 2022. Now that would be wild.

I HAVE NEVER SPOKEN TO AN ATTORNEY on this buyback. Not once.

All that said. I live in a state that apparently has good lemon laws. I purchased my original bolt in Cash and carried no loan. It had no accident history. Those with leases were not as fortunate and those with loans have to jump through other hoops to make things happen.

GM for the vast majority of owners may be slow but IMHO have stood by their product and have gone above and beyond (again for most, not all) to make things right. I gave no fuss, raised no stink, just called and followed their rules and was patient and waited.

Registered
I had a 2020 Premier EV that I paid 25000 for with 46000 miles on it. Got a EUV premier with Sun and Sound in its place and GM gave me the 3.5K difference in MSRP towards the new loan. Paid for new plates and all taxes.

Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
I've learned that if at any time in "friendly" negotiations the word "lawyer" is mentioned, the interaction instantly becomes adversarial.

GM did the right thing by me, and no lawyers were involved. I'm in CA, where we have excellent consumer protections.

Registered
I'm not exactly sure how much a lawyer will help you. My EUV is supposed to be built next week and hopefully I'll have my formal offer then too. Getting to this point wasn't really that difficult. The biggest issue was my dealer rep went on vacation and when I called, I spoke to my salesman who confused everything. Once he came back from vacation, I'm right on track to get one of the first 2023 EUVs off the line.

Registered
My dealer just ordered me a MY23 Bolt EV 2LT with bright blue metallic paint, dual level charge cord, and infotainment package. MSRP of $31,395. Original MSRP of my 21 Bolt LT was in the neighborhood of $38,000. I'm now waiting on what GM will say as far as how the exchange of collateral works for lease customers. The way I understand it is the VIN's get swapped for the same lease terms (payment, duration, buyout).

Registered
My dealer just ordered me a MY23 Bolt EV 2LT with bright blue metallic paint, dual level charge cord, and infotainment package. MSRP of $31,395. Original MSRP of my 21 Bolt LT was in the neighborhood of $38,000. I'm now waiting on what GM will say as far as how the exchange of collateral works for lease customers. The way I understand it is the VIN's get swapped for the same lease terms (payment, duration, buyout).
I got the following from my RC regarding lease to lease option:
鈥溌 Lease to Lease would mean we pay off the current lease and you would come up with new lease terms, contract, miles, payments, incentives etc. with the dealership. We would credit you the original down payment made on the first lease to use on the second.鈥

I鈥檓 in CA and each state has different laws. I did the SOC option which says:

鈥溌 SOC allows you to keeps the same lease terms and agreement until the current contract is up. GM Financial will swap the VINS out. If there is an upgrade from your Bolt to Colorado you would be responsible for the upgrade amount and that鈥檚 it.鈥
I went with SOC since I had just paid off my lease

Registered
I got the following from my RC regarding lease to lease option:
鈥溌 Lease to Lease would mean we pay off the current lease and you would come up with new lease terms, contract, miles, payments, incentives etc. with the dealership. We would credit you the original down payment made on the first lease to use on the second.鈥

I鈥檓 in CA and each state has different laws. I did the SOC option which says:

鈥溌 SOC allows you to keeps the same lease terms and agreement until the current contract is up. GM Financial will swap the VINS out. If there is an upgrade from your Bolt to Colorado you would be responsible for the upgrade amount and that鈥檚 it.鈥
I went with SOC since I had just paid off my lease
The second option (The one you did) sounds like what I want to do. Forgive my ignorance - what is SOC?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I swapped my 2020 Bolt LT for a 2022 Bolt EUV Premier. I had to pay $280 for the upgrade difference in MSRP.
Cool!

But I thought there were no 2022's available.... that they were all frozen on dealer lots by GM saying "you can't sell these cars until we put new batteries in them when we get around to that someday." ???

Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
The 2022s built before the stop sale, yes, those are grounded until new batteries are installed. But there are 2022s arriving daily that were built since April. My swapped car was built 5/22 that arrived at dealer 6/10/22.

You just can't order a 2022 to be built now. Whatever is left in transit are the only 2022s you can try to get.

Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
17,000 miles on car)
July 2022 Submitted form waive my right to sue GM for the battery fiasco and my first born male child etc etc etc in exchange for another $4,500. Jokes on them, done having kids and never had any boys!

So to sum it all up I have a 2022 Bolt EV 2 LT for effectively $14,000. You did it Mary!
Good job. Cost me 18500$
What鈥檚 this 4500$ waiver? Lots signed waivers just to do the swap.
Never heard of this 4509$ Waiver thing?
Anybobdy else do this

Registered
GM will treat you poorly or well based on your state's lemon laws. My state (WV) has terrible lemon laws thus GM offered me a swap that entailed paying off my balance (21,000) and charging me MSRP for a 2022 Bolt EUV. I either wait for a battery replacement or contact a lawyer at this point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts