Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Similar situation here. I purchased a used Volt in 2015 and used the existing 30 amp 220v circuit existing in the garage to power a Bosch charger set to 24 amp. Worked great. My wife purchased a PHEV Pacifica in 2018 that we charged overnight with the OEM 120v charger. I’ve now replaced the Volt with a 2023 Bolt EUV. The existing Bosch charger works fine for overnight charging.
However, with existing rebates and tax credits we added a 50 amp Juicebox charger with a 14-50 NEMA outlet to the side of the garage holding the Pacifica. It charges the Bolt quite a bit faster if I need to recharge quickly. GM covered $1,000 of the cost, our local utility offers a $500 credit, plus the 30% federal tax credit. These rebates may not be available in the future so I’m covered if we purchase a new vehicle with a larger battery than the Bolt and larger power requirements sometime down the road. Plus I can power our camper with the 14-50 plug if necessary.

Given the fact that QMerit wants to set us up with an electrician who will charge $2500 to put a 40 amp line in, is there any reason we should do anything other than continuing to use the line we have, and just switch it from car to car as needed?
I'm using the OEM charging cord (which charges at 12A) on a 240V/15A circuit. You don't "need" 40A unless you're driving so much every day that a smaller circuit won't keep up with your energy consumption.

Just don't try to draw more than 24A from your 30A circuit. That means stick to a 24A charger or a charger with more capacity that can be configured to only draw 24A.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.