Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine what with one of the last 2021 Bolts sold I'd be at the end of the line.
(I don't mind that... but curious about when.)

Has anyone here with a newer (2020 or 2021) gotten a replacement pack?

Did I miss a thread covering what I'm asking?

Alex

·
Administrator
3,997 Posts
I imagine what with one of the last 2021 Bolts sold I'd be at the end of the line.

Alex
GM has not been very transparent, but a large % of 2017-2019 are done. I believe they are working 2020 models now. Then 2021, and finally 2022. Dealer stock is in there somewhere as well.

I expect next month's quarterly report will give a better picture. Latest report is near the end of this thread: Recall Quarterly Report 2021-3

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
7 Posts

Alex

Alex
I have a 2020 and still waiting. My lease will be up in 15 months. I wonder what will come first.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,131 Posts
Here's some info-- looks like half of '17 to '19 in 6 months, and about as many '20 to '22 built as the first set, so Christmas '23?
The 6 months through Q1, includes Q4 of last year. Replacements were just ramping up during Q4. So more will likely be replaced in the 6 months of Q2 and Q3 this year, than those first 6 months.

A few members on here have made what look like reasonable estimates. Based on them, the replacements should be wrapping up by next spring.

The person in the YouTube video didn't show any evidence that the rate of replacements has markedly slowed since production resumed at Orion. It will be interesting to see the Q2 numbers.

Probably very few 2022 Bolts got into owners hands before the stop sale. So primarily we are talking about just the 2020-2021 Bolts after the 2017-2019s are done. At least when it comes to owners waiting for packs. That would apply to all the buyback Bolts sitting in lots too.

I would wager that by Christmas '23, this recall will be a distant memory.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have been to only two Chevy Dealers for routine maintenance (and Michelin tire plug repair due to nail), when suddenly the 2nd Chevy Dealer (and most recent) called me to say my replacement battery was there!

Now, being a restarted Uber driver, I am in no rush to replace my battery (at 1,000 miles driven per week), so how did they know which Dealer to send my battery to?

I told my Service Rep there, I was in no hurry and he says he did NOT order it! Should I believe him.

Also, he wants to sell me the Electric Motor flush for $200 at the 55,000 miles I expect to be at when I come in early August for my appointment to replace my battery. But I read elsewhere it is at 150,000 miles. Any advice?

2019 Bolt_EV purchased on July 31, 2019.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,004 Posts
I have been to only two Chevy Dealers for routine maintenance (and Michelin tire plug repair due to nail), when suddenly the 2nd Chevy Dealer (and most recent) called me to say my replacement battery was there!

Now, being a restarted Uber driver, I am in no rush to replace my battery (at 1,000 miles driven per week), so how did they know which Dealer to send my battery to?

I told my Service Rep there, I was in no hurry and he says he did NOT order it! Should I believe him.

Also, he wants to sell me the Electric Motor flush for $200 at the 55,000 miles I expect to be at when I come in early August for my appointment to replace my battery. But I read elsewhere it is at 150,000 miles. Any advice?

2019 Bolt_EV purchased on July 31, 2019.

Thanks!
Some dealers have been proactively ordering batteries for customers when the customers' Bolts become eligible for a battery replacement. Once they have your VIN (probably from your last service visit), they can check the recall status jut like anyone else. For some customers, it's a nice, customer-oriented service. For others, it's the dealer taking away their choice of where to get the battery replacement.

As for the "Electric Motor flush," the owner's manual specifies replacing the coolant every 150,000 miles. There are 3 coolant loops - one for the battery, one for the high power electronics (yes, including the motor), and one for the cabin. The coolant for the battery should be replaced with the battery itself. The coolant for the high power electronics and cabin should not need to be touched.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thank you both!

i purchased my Bolt_EV 50 miles away in Orange County on July 31, 2019, where I negotiated my best price ($36,500 all in for a $44K sticker price) and then financed 100% at 3.24% and refinanced at 1.99%, at my Credit Union, when the Pandemic took me off my Uber driving.

Indeed the Chevy App lists this Orange County dealer as my "preferred dealer!"

Thanks for this tip!

·
Registered
147 Posts
As for the "Electric Motor flush," the owner's manual specifies replacing the coolant every 150,000 miles. There are 3 coolant loops - one for the battery, one for the high power electronics (yes, including the motor), and one for the cabin. The coolant for the battery should be replaced with the battery itself. The coolant for the high power electronics and cabin should not need to be touched.
Thank you!

Could you please do me the favor to also look-up and post the mileages for the following:

• Cabin air filter; and

• Brake fluid

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,131 Posts
This just showed up on Facebook FWIW:
Rectangle Font Automotive lighting Circle Slope

Font Number

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
As for the "Electric Motor flush," the owner's manual specifies replacing the coolant every 150,000 miles.
Or every 5 years, according to page 313 of https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmown...als/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT EV/Owner's Manual.pdf .

There are 3 coolant loops - one for the battery, one for the high power electronics (yes, including the motor), and one for the cabin. The coolant for the battery should be replaced with the battery itself. The coolant for the high power electronics and cabin should not need to be touched.
Some older Bolts are around 5 years old, so they are due for coolant replacement anyway. So, while the battery coolant is replaced along with the battery, the other two coolant loops may need coolant replacement based on the age of the vehicle.

·
Administrator
3,997 Posts
Some older Bolts are around 5 years old, so they are due for coolant replacement anyway. So, while the battery coolant is replaced along with the battery, the other two coolant loops may need coolant replacement based on the age of the vehicle.
Not sure the electronic and cabin coolant loops are all that critical. Certainly battery loop is, but for me, that would be 150K + 72K (when they replaced my pack).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts